It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US military wants to hack game consoles

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sly1one

Originally posted by Aim64C

When you throw frag-counts out the window and go with pure objective taking (which is what real combat is) - then a lot of top-scoring players (and sometimes teams) will simply be unable to perform due to the lack of teamwork, coordination, and concerns over kill/death ratio.

Well you do have to admit though in Real Life Kill/Death ratio has to be a big concern...as it better be #/0

Other than that yes you are right...running around like Usain Bolt with a subM and a throwing knife doesn't really work outside of COD...

haha I dated a sniper, and he got me a hoodie that said "Sniper" on it. and on the back I wanted to get
"64/0: my boyfriend's KDR is better than yours"

but that would be kind of heinous to some people I guess

as for the game lobbies? if that's true, that's dang creepy.
edit on 28-3-2012 by novemberecho because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   
like all your post : )

i think its to gather the processed precious metals that are in them.
it is far more expensive to process raw minerals.

the pawn shop pays like $20.
im sure they are getting them whole sale.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Perhaps they've finally figured out Mario is a hardcore junkie who loves his mushrooms and '___' stars. They just wanna find out who his dealer is!

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by jd0Fengland

I don't think it should be scary. It's predictable.

For some strange reason, a lot of people go about in blissful ignorance of 'criminal' thought processes. Just as you will use facebook, twitter, text messaging, calls, walkie-talkies, etc to communicate with people to get a dinner group together... so will anyone else to accomplish whatever goals they want to.

I guess many people don't like to think about it or acknowledge the existence of such destructive thought processes, and that is why it is scary for them to think about it.... but it's just a fact of life. You use your knowledge, experience, and resources to accomplish your goals. Why should 'bad people' be any different?

Scary is the fact that a bunch of people can be incited to violence as a means of protest against the death of a young man (because if I die, I want people to remember me by killing hundreds of others and placing bounties on the heads of individuals).

Scary is the fact that our nation is in serious economic trouble due to the failings of centralized government banking... and all the people seem to care about is which "Dancing With the Stars" team a candidate favors (or something equally relevant).

That's scary.... the idea that I may leave on this deployment and not have a country to come back to.

'The Enemy' being smart and resourceful is to be expected. It's a damned miracle they haven't hit a major water reservoir or blasted a major airport hub with small pox. It's not really a matter of if - but when. When they have their planning and coordination down pat and it combines with a lapse in our security measures (that, while we try to reduce those - do happen) - they'll score another big hit.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 01:03 AM
link   
all they will find out in mine is that i have a horrible 0.52 kill death ratio.

i have a better chance of winning the lottery than winning a game.

ha ha ha ha

killzone 2 rocks!

-subfab

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Oh no..... what are they gonna erase my stats? Whatever, ill be ready....... Beastmode On [X] Off [ ]

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   
the last game console I owned was an atari 2600...

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 01:45 AM
link   
Perhaps it is to get understand the mindset of how certain, people and nationalities play certain games? Are most of them the nesting type waiting for head shots? Do they all run around berserker style killing anything they see etc? I could see how knowing a possible oppositions fighting tactics if any would be useful to them.

Cameras of all sorts are being pushed onto peoples homes lately, into game consoles, cable boxes, security systems...etc. If they really want to see a bunch of random people beating off; they can just join Chatroullette.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Millions

I think you are all going off in the wrong direction with this thing. Its probably not about first-person shooters....... its more likely to be about terrorists and criminals communicating and planning over Xbox live headsets. There have been a few articles about this being used as a communication medium recently.

John

Indeed.... I've seen articles about this as well as serious concerns as the more recent console platforms have come out about their sheer processing power and potential to be adapted to uses entirely outside gaming or any form of playing.

This sounds like they are developing the capability to forensically dissect hard drives they find "in the field" so to speak and quite possibly, methods to do it quickly enough to leave the whole thing in place without people knowing it's been done at all.

I seriously doubt the Pentagon cares at all about gamers or the habits/skills of anyone playing games. They have "America's Army" (The game) written BY the Pentagon on Congressional funding if they want that data.
Gaming isn't the only use for these high end consoles though. In some ways, they easily outclass desktops.
edit on 29-3-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: spacing and the quotes on America's Army

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by XelNaga

Good way to recruit drone controllers if you ask me. They say CoD isn't like war, apparently they haven't ever gotten the reapers or ac-130s

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Oh dear, It looks like the aliens have discovered that directing their "crazy rays" at those in charge is better than just randomly aiming them over the general population

I think we'd better start a program of sending tinfoil hats to the governments and military "intelligence" chiefs as a public service to protect them from the rays

I thought we were supposed to be the crazy paranoid ones, but it seems they do it professionally

edit on 29/3/12 by yellowbeard because: removed errant word

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 02:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Probably trying to think up ways to sabatoge them and turn them into trigger bombs and such :/

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 02:13 AM
link   
There is a tradition in journalism to publish news stories on the first of april each year, to see how many other publications take them as factual, when in fact they are plausible mockeries.

There is also a tradition in journalism to partily fact check stories published on the first of april by seeing if this is the first mention of that subject before assuming the story is legitimate.

I think what we see here is just a red herring by a major publication that plans to use this story as one of thier pranks.

But that's just my opinion. What would I know

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 03:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Monsatan

It kinda reminds me of that movie "Toys" where they had kids locked in rooms playing video games but they were actually flying military drones.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Sorry I haven't read all the comments, but just in case has anyone realised that the wording in the original post basically states that they want to purchase consoles that have been stolen, not buying from a legitimate source, as really if bought from a legit. source they should have been wiped, but bought from stolen they are more likely to have 'stuff' still in them.

Thay are advocating stealing in the wording

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 03:39 AM
link   
reply to post by deckdel

Oh no, what will I do when they out me to the government for my progress in Halo?

I dont wanna rot in a political prison!

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by novemberecho
they're totally going to look at people's CoD and other FPS games scores. that way, they can pick out the best people to call to ACTUALLY fight.
because, you know, playing Call of Duty is totally liek war, IRL!!11!

but really... what in god's name do they want people's xboxs for...

EDIT: oh my god

The Sun recently reported that "terrorists" are using games like Call of Duty as "training tools."

but then again... it is The Sun

I would wager that actually you are pretty spot on. Drones are controlled by pilots thousands of miles away, using game controllers (almost). DARPA is looking more and more at robotic technology for the battlefield - people will be needed to control them, probably like drones from thousands of miles away. Who better than CoD geniuses? (you know the ones - they keep knifing you just to rub it in!).

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 03:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by HomerinNC
the last game console I owned was an atari 2600...

Awesome!

Nostalgia kicking in now.......

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 04:14 AM
link   
Maybe there's a direct link to this piece of news
Unreal games engine licenced to FBI and other US agencies

Maybe they spent too much money getting their cyborg army completed and just need a cheap, off the shelf, control system

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 04:15 AM
link   
reply to post by deckdel

They probably shouldn't look at my Game scores or Game hours from 2008 and last year it may shock the US Military
and i would love to see there reactions on my steam profile.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join