It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US military wants to hack game consoles

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   

US military wants to hack game consoles

www.newscientist.com

The US navy has just contracted a company called Obscure Technologies to buy up second-hand consoles and develop computer forensic tools for extracting data stored on the hard drives.

The contract, published earlier this week, tasks the company with purchasing consoles from outside the US "in a manner that is likely to result in their containing significant and sensitive information from previous users", then providing tools for extracting information along with any data it finds and a report on the methods used. Obscure Technologies apparently has experience in cracking video game hardwa
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
...Here we go. Since privacy and rights have been evoked in the real world, now its time to get rid of them in the virtual one too.

So, which are the alternatives? Turn off the machines, and become true believer, get Bible and start spelling? Or... donate machines hard disks intact to our great beloved contracted intelligence services, for having fun laughing on how low we score in Super Mario?

www.newscientist.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
they're totally going to look at people's CoD and other FPS games scores. that way, they can pick out the best people to call to ACTUALLY fight.
because, you know, playing Call of Duty is totally liek war, IRL!!11!

but really... what in god's name do they want people's xboxs for...
edit on 28-3-2012 by novemberecho because: (no reason given)

EDIT: oh my god

The Sun recently reported that "terrorists" are using games like Call of Duty as "training tools."

but then again... it is The Sun

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   
This is so ridiculous
This is not even big brother anymore

it's super paranoid beyond belief big brother
if this is now imagine what it will be like in 20years

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Take the guts out and put them in the microwave. Smash them into bits with a hammer. Thing about it is, you have to ask yourself why they'd want to do this.

Because the government, when it's acting as a collective whole, more and more resembles a person with paranoid schizophrenia.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Some Game systems like the very first PS2 that came out can be used to guide missles.

www.abc.net.au...

Maybe that is why they would want them.

It is the only thing i can think of.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
so they think that reading someones messaging logs may help them find terrorists but surely it would be quicker/easier etc just to have game servers send all instant messages to a special spook file and then let them spend hours working out 'pwnd ju noobz' etc is a code for we're gonna blow up washington etc?

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Oh please! Now the military is worried about what RPGs I've been playing?

I can't believe people in government actually justify spending money on crap programs like this? Hacking old video game systems to crack hardware and leach information....... Un friggin believable.

I am actually stunned. This borders on this insane!

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Yeah, like this isn't done already with an xBox Live or PSN account, or worse, a Kinect camera in a room that you spend the most time in, filiming everything you do and recording everything you say. Sure, this is really new information to hear.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by novemberecho

i was thinking something like that but more so who the best are either to "recruit" or figure out who would be the biggest threats to any type of martial law...

though im sure most gamers, especially call of duty kids, will be too involved in playing that than to stop any type of martial law.

battlefield 3 players will most likely save everyone since that game is probably the closest to war any american civilian will see xD

edit on 28-3-2012 by XelNaga because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
totally. all of the terrorists are the n00b tuberz, the hard-scopers, and the quick-scopers, the campers. oh, and the try-hards. ****the try-hards.
and all of those 12 year olds who just scream, cry, and insult everyone.

so that's pretty much everyone.......

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by novemberecho

yeah those 12 years are the hardcore terrorists threats! lol. they must be stopped!

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by ChachiArcola

The Kinect man... It's ALWAYS on man...It's ALWAYS Kinected...

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by boot2theface

Call me crazy but that's precisely why I don't have a kinetic hooked up..... Those things are spooky
. As in Langley spooky.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by boot2theface
reply to post by ChachiArcola

The Kinect man... It's ALWAYS on man...It's ALWAYS Kinected...

GREAT SCOTT! THIS MAN'S ONTO SOMETHING!

what if they're watching your olympic/sports scores to see how fast you can run away.... O.o

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   
They can take my xbox from my cold dead hands! In all seriousness though unless they are concerned about me taking an arrow to the knee.....

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   
...so then modern war video games ARE military simulation programs, and without our consent they can swoop in and datamine everything, whether it has a useful purpose or not.

RIIIGHT????

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 28-3-2012 by yourmaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnIntellectualRedneck
Take the guts out and put them in the microwave. Smash them into bits with a hammer. Thing about it is, you have to ask yourself why they'd want to do this.

Because the government, when it's acting as a collective whole, more and more resembles a person with paranoid schizophrenia.

maybe WE are the government :O

/mindblown.

lol.. sorry I couldn't resist.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   

That's highly unlikely, unless al-Qaida has decided to take up pwning noobs

lol

They would totally get pwnt, sorry.
edit on 28-3-2012 by RSF77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

highly unlikely...being a gamer myself, ive never wanted to fight in a war after playing any shooter based on war. if anything, it gave me a better idea of the horrors of war.

call of duty: world at war showed me ww2 in a way that hadnt been done since i saw saving private ryan.

battlefield 3 has shown me how incredibly f**ked modern warfare is.

anyone who cant distinguish these games from reality shouldnt be playing video games in the first place. video games arent training simulators. thats a poor argument and from the minds of scared parents and politicians looking for power.

ive never wanted to pummel someone to death after playing mortal kombat. ive never wanted to go on a high speed chase, running over people and flipping cars after playing grand theft auto. and ive never wanted to dawn power armor and fight aliens after playing halo or mass effect.

oh also, video games have taught me how to form strategies and over come difficult odds. both of those are relevant to real life. if anything, video games help people. its just the 12 year old kids who play them religiously are putting a bad label on the rest of us.

the average gamer is 18+. we know the difference. blame the parents of the 12 years old who do dumb sh!t regularly. not us. not the industry. the parents are ALWAYS at fault. its just a shame that most american parents cant accept this fact. they control what their kids play and watch, not the other way around.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join