It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We are running out of water.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by cavalryscout
Hi.

Sit down and have a nice cold glass of water.....while you still can.

Water scarcity already affects every continent. Around 1.2 billion people, or almost one-fifth of the world's population, live in areas of physical scarcity, and 500 million people are approaching this situation. Another 1.6 billion people, or almost one quarter of the world's population, face economic water shortage (where countries lack the necessary infrastructure to take water from rivers and aquifers).

www.un.org...

By 2025, 1.8 billion people will be living in countries or regions with absolute water scarcity, and two-thirds of the world's population could be living under water stressed conditions.

www.un.org...

I want to discuss a topic that most of the people of the world take for granted.

Fresh potable water.

I think we should be more concerned about running out of water than running out of oil. I understand we need oil. I also understand the economic impact of high fuel prices so I care even though I don’t own a vehicle. I rely mostly on public transportation fun times. Of course I have family and friends who drive and I always chip in for gas, I don’t mind. Of course it sucks when I think of the money I spend on gas.

Back to the topic.

Here is some basic information from the world health organization. It is dated 2009 but in my opinion if anything it is worse today not better.
www.who.int...

WASHINGTON — Drought, floods and a lack of fresh water may cause significant global instability and conflict in the coming decades, as developing countries scramble to meet demand from exploding populations while dealing with the effects of climate change, U.S. intelligence agencies said in a report Thursday.

www.washingtonpost.com... story.html

An assessment reflecting the joint judgment of federal intelligence agencies says the risk of water issues causing wars in the next 10 years is minimal even as they create tensions within and between states and threaten to disrupt national and global food markets. But beyond 2022, it says the use of water as a weapon of war or a tool of terrorism will become more likely, particularly in South Asia, the Middle East and North Africa.

www.washingtonpost.com... story.html

So maybe we should all cut back on water usage. Someday we may wish we had that water we watched go down the drain.

Peace.

I have water stories just went for months with no water this year.
Who is this person that quotes the UN and has no story of no water, but starts a thread of how control of the resource and is a priority?
So OP how long have you been without water,
how did you deal with it,
and why do you believe the UN will be better at it then the humans that have the problem?

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by cavalryscout

There is plenty of fresh water worldwide it just is'nt tapped in to. What you read through the media is all but a scare tactic!

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   
efforts have been made to make water out of air.

link

and this is just one example, so dont try and scare me into believing we are running out
edit on 28-3-2012 by jazzguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   
I live in a desert
there is a corporation trying to come in from a foreign country.
That needs millions of acre feet of water to run operations per year,
And infrastructure new roads etc.
But they are using this UN,
oh humans waste so much water,
we want control of the water rights.
We will compensate any humans that are displaced due to our need of water.
They are trying to silence any humans that use a thousand times less.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   
So OP how many corporations
do you represent,
and and how much water do they need control of?

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   
This Drought Master guy forgot about if there is no electricity or fuel for a generator then his machine is nothing more than a fancy doorstop.

He needs to go solar with that invention and then it will have practicality.

I can't be grateful enough to live right off of a body of fresh water here in the Great Lakes region.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   
No shortage of water, there's oceans all over this planet, you just need desalinization plants to remove the brine. More lies from the illuminati to promote their world population cull down to 500 million per Georgia Guidestones.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by cavalryscout

Libya is also another interesting situation. You do know Libya sits on one of the largest, if not the largest, fresh water aquifer in Africa.
reply to post by bobs_uruncle

I didn't know that it is indeed interesting.
The Coalition was very anxious to overthrow Gaddafi. I wonder if this was another reason for the 'yes lets attack' side of the list.

edit on 28-3-2012 by cavalryscout because: (no reason given)

Here's a few links to some interesting info;

Libya Fossile Water
Libya Aquifer Wikipedia
Nasa on Libya

There's a bit... and a good search engine link instead of Google that doesn't track your every move ;-)
Duckduckgo.com

Cheers - Dave

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   
It takes a lot of energy and multiple stages to desalinate water.... where is the energy going to come from?

Nuclear means?

Now you have introduced another limited and extremely expensive(cost and environmentally) X to the equation.

Well at least you do come out with win/win situation with salt being the primary byproduct of desalination.

Salt is used in everything and is use to produce everything.

...but the energy it takes to desalinate on a viable scale makes the process impractical.

What do you do then?
edit on 29-3-2012 by maestromason because: HEY ATS check your editor!

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   
So tomorrow morning we will go out, share 1 gallon of water with thousands of bees that will show up.
Go without a shower, flush our toilet less helping an insect that appears to have been attacked by corporations
with pesticides and I don't know what.
I read story after story of bees dieing off.
But in our world we survive and coexist.
If you allow UN control, then thousands of bees will be denied,
of a little water that we share with an endangered species that helps humans survive.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Only the Africans and Asians will experience this.
Especially the Africans and it really is their fault for having 20+ children in an environment like that.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jace26

Only the Africans and Asians will experience this.
Especially the Africans and it really is their fault for having 20+ children in an environment like that.

I disagree how many corporations does it take to support one human, and how many corporate products are involved in your life, and how much water does each corporation need?
And can humans even survive without a corporation in modern times,
let alone give them control of the water.

edit on 28-3-2012 by Gmoneycricket because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gmoneycricket
So tomorrow morning we will go out, share 1 gallon of water with thousands of bees that will show up.
Go without a shower, flush our toilet less helping an insect that appears to have been attacked by corporations
with pesticides and I don't know what.
I read story after story of bees dieing off.
But in our world we survive and coexist.
If you allow UN control, then thousands of bees will be denied,
of a little water that we share with an endangered species that helps humans survive.

The bees are already dead...so guess who is to follow in their plight?

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   
And can the United Nations survive without corporations and off of human donations only.
I am watching a United Nations commercial,
We need control of the water to survive, what are you watching?

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Using the oceans is an option, albeit an expensive one (*even if i don't agree with it). Not only will we have to desalinate it, we'll also have to strain it, purify it, not to mention ship it out of the ocean, and then ship it all over the country.
You'd go broke washing your clothes and dishes.

The problem is we've got an environment that is hoarding water due to increased CO2 levels in the air, we've got tycoon billionaires like T. Boone Pickens who are sucking up as much water as they can get their hands on and selling it to the highest bidder (water that's connected to private wells), and we've got an ever-blooming population that removes water completely from the equation for the people already here.

It also doesn't help that we pollute our water through fracking for gas, through cooling our nuclear plants, through a million other "industrial" purposes, and we've got Japan pouring radioactive waste into the sea, we've got oil companies spewing millions of gallons of crude into the oceans, the list goes on and on.

The entire world is bankrupt and it's costing more and more to clean, ship, and purchase water; something that should be free to all of humanity, but since we can't keep the stuff clean, we're doomed to pay out the ass for it, whether we can afford to our not. This isn't an issue of how much water is on the planet. This is an issue of there being enough "clean" water to use for the 7(+) billion people on this rock, and being able to afford to clean and export/import water if there isn't.

We need to ditch our archaic notions of energy, the things that pollute, like oil, nuclear, coal, and go into tidal, solar, wind, and ambient energy technologies. We need to start cleaning water, even if we're not using it. That alone would produce millions of jobs. There's an ever-swirling whirlpool of trash in the river next to the Philadelphia Museum. There's currently an island of debris floating across the Pacific ocean towards California. These messes are all potential jobs, and potential water preservation actions.

* We seriously need to start taking better care of our oceans. Japan being allowed to pour millions of gallons of toxic waste into the sea was just about the most reckless thing I've seen in a long time. People need to be reminded that all life on Earth is tied to the oceans. The last time the oceans we're struck hard nearly 80% of all life on Earth died off.

edit on 28-3-2012 by FugitiveSoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by maestromason

So are you saying lets abandon trying,
give control to someone else to save us?
If my best friend gave me the UN needs control argument.
I would feel the need to call the suicide hot line and describe that he has giving up,
and may hurt himself.

edit on 28-3-2012 by Gmoneycricket because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   
I cannot believe the number of humans,
that I see that are giving up,
and want someone else to take control of their lives.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Well all the water I need is right where I need it when I need it. There isn't another place on earth where I am right now and I am thankful that.

What I am not thankful for is the way that the US government is trying to pipe out the Great Lakes water westward and endanger the whole Great Lakes water table.

The Northern polar ice cap is forever gone until another ice age hits the earth and now the countdown begins!

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by maestromason
Well all the water I need is right where I need it when I need it. There isn't another place on earth where I am right now and I am thankful that.

What I am not thankful for is the way that the US government is trying to pipe out the Great Lakes water westward and endanger the whole Great Lakes water table.

The Northern polar ice cap is forever gone until another ice age hits the earth and now the countdown begins!

Thank You
I respect you for an honest response.

the one thing with second line required response that ATS wants
is you can never just say
Thank You.
or
Now I understand your thought on the matter etc.
edit on 29-3-2012 by Gmoneycricket because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Gmoneycricket

Oh no Gmoney! NEVER THAT!

Give control of H2O over to the UN? You might as well find some 5 point chains and shackles and constrain yourself!

People fail to realize something about damaging the ecology of the world. What we are beginning to deal with now started back 70 years ago in the 1930's-1940's. The effects are dramatically slow and takes several decades to affect the balanced ecosystem as we are starting to see now.

We have roughly 70 to 100 years of catching up to do in regards to damage done from the start. The damage that we have done today will not be felt for another 70 to 100 years and as long as we keep damaging the earth will not be able to cleanse what we are doing.

I am not an environmentalist, and although I do belong to The Wildlife Society I realize that us humans have to balance our footprint with our environment and that alone is a monumental goal to achieve.

# is about to get real ugly over the next 2 to 3 generations possibly even more!

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join