It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman Is Dragged From Hospital And Dies Shortly After In Jail For Not Being Able To Walk (VIDEO)

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
This is horrible negligence... If only it didn't happen so much

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by JizzyMcButter

We can't single out anyone or any profession cause we are all to blame! We have allowed our morallity to deteriate to this point and beyond. I remember reading books about totalitarian societies and so far we have surpassed them all. Welcome to our distopian world! Only death can bring release now!

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Unbelievably tragic. Surprising? No. Because Ms. Brown was homeless and broke. That's really all you need to know to understand why something this inhumane would happen.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Further proof that all cops are pigs. America is becoming more like Nazi Germany everyday.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 12:28 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Everyone's of course blaming the hospital, but in truth its not their fault, nor is it the police departments.

The reason she was treated as she was was indicated in the Hospitals statement here:

Hospital: Mom booted from ER who died in jail was treated appropriately
”The sad reality is that emergency departments across the country are often a place of last resort for many people in our society who suffer from complex social problems that become medical issues when they are not addressed. It is unfortunate that it takes a tragic event like this to call attention to a crisis in our midst.”

They are politely indicating to you that she had a record of being a drug seeker.
Pain killers would not have prevented blood clots anyway, so even if they had given her what she was screaming about, she would still be dead now.

The policy about drug seeking DOES NOT come from the medical field, it comes from legislation of your government. The government goes after medical people for anything that they consider “unauthorized” distribution of narcotics, and will actually arrest doctors for distributing them against the governments policy. Medical folks are always having to balance between what the patient needs, what the insurance company says that the patient needs, and what the government will allow. The problem is that two out of those three people aren't even assessing the patient in person, to see what they actually need, and really need to butt the heck out of it.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Reread the article, it said she was NOT treated by the hospital that booted her, but rather went by her medical record which said she received treatment at another hospital ealrier. It also said it only performed the minimal testing and xrays aren;t going to show blood clots.

She should have been taken in for observation - plain and simple.

I still don't see why they had to go and arrest her either - you can bet if I were in pain and not getting any attention, they would not be able to drag me out of there. I hope her family files a wrongful death suit against that police department, it was inhumane to drag her by her arms and then leave her on the floor, unable to stand up. Since when is it okay to abuse someone - just because a doctor says she's healthy enough? They just looked at her and said "oh she's poor and black, must be a drug seeker. Throw her in jail."

I can only hope those of you so willing to turn a blind eye to this travesty never have to go through the same sort of injustice.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by RancorXXX

I still don't see why they had to go and arrest her either

She was trespassing on private property and refused to leave. Once she was told to leave by the owner of the property or the owner's agent, she had to leave.

She had been to multiple other hospitals and none of them had diagnosed a problem. Those hospitals had even run extensive sonagraphic or ultrasound testing. Unfortunately that is usually the number one sign someone is seeking drugs. Also there are many mentally unstable people that do this for attention. Many homeless people do this looking for a place to cool their heels and sleep or relax.

The police arrested her because she was violating the law, doctors said she was medically fine, and she was displaying behavior that 99.99% of the time will not lead to this type of outcome. The police were doing exactly what they are hired to do after the hospital said she was medically fit to be detained.

I've seen some one pull this exact same type of thing. Then when they got downtown the cop asked, do you want to be dragged across the parking lot? The lady said, "no." Then she got out and walked under her own power. (They wouldn't have drug her. They have chairs for that type of situation.)

When you are in a place like that you deal with enough drug users and psych patients that stories like the one I told become common place. I remember one night last summer we had 14 calls for psych patients causing a disturbance in just one ER.
edit on 12-4-2012 by MikeNice81 because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-4-2012 by MikeNice81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 01:52 AM
link   

We just had this happen in our building today.
One of my patients told me there was an altercation going on in the hallway, which had carried out there from another office. The person would not leave, was making a scene, and finally the police had to be called in to remove them. Once the police showed up, of course, they fled with the police hot on their heels.

This stuff goes on all the time...

Its not unusual for people to call in ahead of time and try to tell us what drugs they expect to receive, and then threaten to not come if they don't get a promise to receive them. Of course we have to dismiss them from practice, and if they show up, we have to call the police.

Again, this stuff goes on every day...

Heck, I was walking into a CVS a couple of weeks ago, and almost was run over by some guy running out in the opposite direction with the pharmacist chasing after them. When I got to the counter, I asked what that was all about. Come to find out that it was someone trying to turn in false scripts for drugs. It was there second time in that store in 24 hours, and CVS had it marked in their computer that he was going store to store, trying to get his fake scripts fulfilled.

So with that in mind, how is this the fault of the medical people who have to deal with this on a daily basis?

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by RancorXXX
Reread the article, it said she was NOT treated by the hospital that booted her, but rather went by her medical record which said she received treatment at another hospital ealrier. It also said it only performed the minimal testing and xrays aren;t going to show blood clots.

The first hospital already ran an ultrasound that showed nothing on it.

Insurance companies, even medicaid, will not pay to run the same test over again when it was negative a number of hours earlier. Now if there is something suspected, and the person is under observation, then that is a different story and they may be able to run the same test over, but that's not the case here.

It's already been found that the hospital was not at fault, and acted within their procedural policy. Those policies are set by the Hospital, but have to meet certain government set criteria to be legal and the Hospital to be accredited. From the hospitals perspective this person had already been cleared by another hospital, and was now simply there demanding pain meds.

There is even a term for this in the medical profession, its called “doctor shopping”. When she showed up at the second location, asking specifically for pain medication, she fell right into the criteria of a person who was out “doctor shopping” for pain meds.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   
You would think they would have some sort of program to help people who can't afford insurance. Like maybe a plan that at least will help the less fortunate to a certain extent. Even minimal attention would make a world of difference. Most of these doctors are making more in 6 months than most of these people see in a lifetime. #ty

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by OGOldGreg

They do...
Its called medicaid.
If you walk into a hospital with no insurance, they will apply for it for you.
That was not the issue here.

The issue here was that she went to three different facilities, each time showing up with new “props” (crutches, wheelchairs), and asked specifically for pain meds, after the first hospital discharged her with no problems they could find. That showed the final hospital a pattern of “doctor shopping”.

Again, even if they had done as she asked, or even admitted her, we would have the same result. There is not much they can do about a pulmonary embolism once heading for the lungs, and pain killers won't do a darn thing to help anyway.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

The issue here was that she went to three different facilities, each time showing up with new “props” (crutches, wheelchairs), and asked specifically for pain meds, after the first hospital discharged her with no problems they could find. That showed the final hospital a pattern of “doctor shopping”.

There's no mention of her specifically "asking for pain meds". She went in complaining of sharp pain in her legs and not being able to walk.

Also, the "three hospitals" is really only two - it said the second hospital she went to was only a children's hospital next door to the first one, and it didn't admit her for that reason.

The 3rd hospital (the one that had her arrested) did not perform any testing but only relied on the nominal tests done at the 1st one.

So really, how could that doctor in good conscience write off her complaints of pain in her legs without having performed a more thorough test?

Let's keep in mind she died within 15 minutes of being dragged by her arms into that jail cell. The doctor (and cops) who stated she was "fit for incarceration" should be held accountable.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

Even if the third hospital had run test they would not have found anything.
She died of a pulmonary embolism, the symptoms of that are shortness of breath, not leg pain.
I highly doubt that a clot can travel from your leg to your lung in that amount of time anyway. My father died of blood clots (pulmonary embolism) secondary to cancer, and it took long periods of time for them to move from place to place. If she died that quickly after being taken from the third office, she was already in trouble, the clot was too far along to do much with blood thinners, and they would have found nothing in the leg (unless there were multiple clots). This is probably why the first hospital didn't find anything either. If you go in and say my leg hurts, they're going to check your leg, not your chest.

Sometimes its just someones time to go, and there's not much that the hospital could have done but code her at that point. I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts that they end up finding that she had pancreatic cancer, and didn't know about it. Pancreatic cancer does not normally show any signs until its so far progressed that there is nothing you can do about it, and death from it actually comes in the form of clots that cause heart attack, pulmonary embolism, and stroke.

People sometimes give modern medicine too much credit for what it can accomplish, believe me, if you ever go work in the field you'll be shocked at exactly how little we can often do.

edit on 4/12/2012 by defcon5 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join