It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WHat is up with Google asking for my phone number and cell phone number?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
The past two days everytime I log into my gmail account, Google gets alot, not a little, but, ALOT nosy and asks me for my phone number. Then today it said it wants my cell phone number for security reasons and it noted that security changes are ahead and things are about to be changing. The last time it asked me for my phone number and said, "You just never know", as if I will forget my password and "NEED" them to call me.

I'm sorry but, if I loose my password and Google refuses to help me with that problem because I didn't give them my phone number then to hell with Google. If it gets to the point where I am that dependent then I will walk away from it all and that includes computers.

I could understand if I was using my work computer and they required this information but, my home is not your business.

P.S. What else is down the road with Google? What else are they planning, anyone know?

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Same here. Google does it so that if you forget your password that can text you a security code.
I don't do that, i just do it the normal way. I don't want google having my phone number, then again my google is linked to my android, so it really doesn't matter does it?

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I left google behind a long time ago. I have a variety of email addresses, most of which are "disposable". Have you tried just making up a fake number, preferably from a different state or country?

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by mustangill

The other side to that is stopping what people are doing on sites like facebook, fake accounts, multiple accounts and such. I think facebook also requires a valid sms number now when trying to register.

Part of it is to ensure you only have the 1 account, the other side is to ensure you are who you say you are, in the event someone complains that you are masquerading as them online.

Google has posted the notice about the privacy changes for some time now, if you chose to ignore it, you have no right to complain.

Basically, google is merging all of it's data services into 1 central point, all of your google services will all come into line into a single "profile" to make their data mining easier.

Don't like it? Opt out, disable cookies and tracking, or just don't use google services.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I get these once in awhile, and personally I think one day it's going to pop up and ask but not let you go through to your inbox till your phone verified. Just a feeling.
edit on 28-3-2012 by mytheroy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   
It's for your own security Citizen, why not give us your number, unless you have something to hide?

One day it won't be skippable.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by mustangill

I haven't had this problem ......yet.

When I created my gmail account I literally put 'John Doe' as my name and made up what other information they asked. That was a few years ago so it may not be as easy to enter fake info. I don't know.

If they start asking me for too much I'll just tell them to go to hell.

good luck.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by khimbar
It's for your own security Citizen, why not give us your number, unless you have something to hide?

One day it won't be skippable.

"Just tell us what we want to know. We are here to help. Don't make us ask again."

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by khimbar

just went to Google and it does not say when but soon, no opting out of web search or cookie or being anonymous. you want out close your account.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte
I left google behind a long time ago. I have a variety of email addresses, most of which are "disposable". Have you tried just making up a fake number, preferably from a different state or country?

agreed ...F Google
since they've turned down their evil path...

how Google works

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I had the same thing and I hope they sell it to millions of solisitors. I gave them my ex's just to make it go away

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte

Great idea on "disposable emails" ... I got several myself.

But why on Earth would you "make up a fake number"? What if you happen to give them MY NUMBER? ...Its no wonder I get random calls from random American states everyday, and I live in Canada....

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Google is lonely and needs to feel loved, and Frankly you don't call Google so Google asked for your digits...pretty simple if you ask me.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
facebook keep trying to get my number and yesterday hotmail partially blocked my email account I've had with them for about 6 year and won't unblock it without my telephone number.

I usually only use hotmail to recieve emails though, which it still allows me to do so that deal-able with (in the short term until I set up a new email account with one of there competitors) any service like that gives me the choice of giving my phone number or refusing to allow me to use there website I'll go elsewhere.

I refuse to give my phone number out it is confidential information. Next they'll want your social security number and the passwords and user names for all the sites you frequent, its obscene and absurd!

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by mustangill
The past two days everytime I log into my gmail account, Google gets alot, not a little, but, ALOT nosy and asks me for my phone number. Then today it said it wants my cell phone number for security reasons and it noted that security changes are ahead and things are about to be changing. The last time it asked me for my phone number and said, "You just never know", as if I will forget my password and "NEED" them to call me.

I'm sorry but, if I loose my password and Google refuses to help me with that problem because I didn't give them my phone number then to hell with Google. If it gets to the point where I am that dependent then I will walk away from it all and that includes computers.

I could understand if I was using my work computer and they required this information but, my home is not your business.

P.S. What else is down the road with Google? What else are they planning, anyone know?

Look, if they wanted your phone number, they could get it. The reason they are asking is because the phone number you voluntarily give them is one they can legally use to text you a pass code in the event that you completely lost all other access to you account.

I work in tech support (not saying it is or isn't Google) and when somebody loses access and I ask them if they ever gave their email service provider a mobile number, the common answer I get is "I didn't want them to have my number! Why should they have it! Rabble Rabble!" and then I have to pretty much tell them there's nothing anybody can really do unless they at some point used a credit card.

This is for your security and your privacy. Honest. Like I said, they probably already have your number; they just want your permission to HELP you.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
They are listening.

They are watching.

They need to know everything from now on.

You are no longer J-A-C-K, you are just a number now.

They are psychopaths.

They are nosy busybodies.

They get paid money to look at you.

It's for YOUR protection as well as theirs

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by monkofmimir

but that is what cookies do, that is why you do not need to enter password when you look or in you search history they know what you web site you webbed.

edit on 28-3-2012 by bekod because: editing

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Several months ago somebody in Manilla of all places hacked my Gmail and was attempting to send out a bunch of spam from my e-mail account. Google caught this immediately. They locked down my Gmail account. They sent me a security code via text message to my cell phone to make sure it was really me before allowing me access, and made sure that I changed my password so that the person who hacked it couldn't access it again (much easier for spammers to just move on to the next person's account).

It it strictly for security reasons and this feature has been in use for a while. I've never received any weird calls on my cell since they've had my number at all.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by littled16

your lucky, but it is just a matter of time when out of the blue you get a text or call from an unknown person or source, had to change mine 4 times and still get one about once a month, do not open or reply, just went to bing no phone needed to get account , second account like yahoo msn requested but not needed,dropping Google just as I would a hot potato!

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Most other sites will, when asked, will delete all your stuff, no going back to see what you had, but Google will not delete you!!!! Your still in there, just tried it!! settings account delete, mind you not sign out, delete all, then back to sign in, using old password and log in, and what do you know it is still there!!!

How does Yahoo do it, once deleted you deleted got to get new account as if you did not have one or did, [might try them just for fun.] so even though you might not want a Google account any more your still in there, like going to a bank and closing your account but to find out you still have one.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join