It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Most Extensive Full Face Transplant to Date

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   

ScienceDaily (Mar. 27, 2012) — The University of Maryland released details today of the most extensive full face transplant completed to date, including both jaws, teeth, and tongue. The 36-hour operation occurred on March 19-20, 2012 at the R Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center at the University of Maryland Medical Center and involved a multi-disciplinary team of faculty physicians from the University of Maryland School of Medicine and a team of over 150 nurses and professional staff.

ScienceDaily

It's undeniable that these people did an amazing job. They have basically given the man his life back. I imagine it would be very weird looking into the mirror though. Stuff like this make me wonder about the future..
edit on 28/3/2012 by 1lluminatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Damn, they did a pretty good job.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   
It is truly awesome what we can do in the medical field now. If only this procedure didnt come with a multimillion dollar price tag. Its a shame what people have to pay to be "normal".

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Yeah...heard this story on the radio this morning. I think this guy was shot in the face and had been living a very reclusive life and doing his shopping at night in a mask so that he could avoid the stares and looks he would get. Talk about a big difference. They did an amazing job and gave this guy his life back. I can imagine he feels like a million bucks right now.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
I just made a thread on this, but I guess you beat me to the punch by a few minutes.

I was touching on the realities of such a transplant. The other person's face used, and so on. I am glad though that this man gets a new start at a normal life.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
The best face transplant I've seen yet; those before him look worse for wear

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by lilowl53

I've read it, and I agree. Your face is a huge part of who you are, and losing such a big part of it that you can't recognize yourself anymore is horrible. I don't know how I would react if I had gotten a different face, but it's definitely better than living like that.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Cost a lot of money, but a lot of hours and work went into it.

Hope for a speedy recovery for this guy.

new topics

top topics

join