It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is matter? No one knows.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by smithjustinb

I didn't have the time to read past the first page.

Have we yet discussed the concept that "matter = potential"?

Potential of what? Infinite potential. Energy is the capacity to do work. What work? The work of manifesting matter, the work of manifesting infinite potential.

Just a conceptualization to consider.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sahabi

I didn't have the time to read past the first page.

Have we yet discussed the concept that "matter = potential"?

Potential of what? Infinite potential. Energy is the capacity to do work. What work? The work of manifesting matter, the work of manifesting infinite potential.

Just a conceptualization to consider.

Okay, but what is its quality?

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   

The mind loves riddles. It doesn't matter what name you give it, it will be wrong. It is unnamable, but people keep talking so they will never know it.
They are so interested in their thinking/talking they completely miss it.
edit on 29-3-2012 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   
If it isn't matter it must be mind. That hardly means it doesn't matter if you don't mind.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Damn your a Genius...... what a clever post! Boy you got them all with that one.
Everyone in the world is stupid huh..

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
But is "the ability to do work" the only definition of energy ?
I was taught that the total energy of a system is the sum of the initial internal energy, plus the work done on or by the system. So if you take away the ability to do work, a sytem would still have a minimum amount of energy (the initial internal energy), which would constitute the mass of the system. So I would say that matter is just another form of energy

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
What is matter? The question can not be answered without understanding the concept of pre-matter. Pre-matter is as real as matter is real. It is the conversion of the ultimaton from pre-matter to a particle that the entire universe depends on for energy and mass materialization.

I have published two papers on the subject of pre-matter conversion to matter. If anyone is interested here are the links to the papers. They discuss the evolution of matter from its pre-material, pre-gravity, pre-particle existence to actually forming particles to result in the complex arrangement of molecules.

Paper I - UCI Vol 6 No 2 - Basics Concept of the Ultimaton
www.box.com...

Paper II - UCI Vol 7 No 1 - Ultimatons & The Formation of Particles
www.box.com...

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

It's not dumb. It's obvious! Just remember though.. it's all relative here inside the reflection of a hologram hahaha

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImaFungi
reply to post by jiggerj

"Now, if it can be said that a state of absolute nothing CANNOT exist"

why should that be said? and why would it be true?

so does the universe exist in some kind of defined and enclosed area,, where only energy-like stuff associated with this area can occur... your assuming because the universe is such an extremely large area,, the biggest area imaginable, the biggest area there could be,,,, that the universe is all that exists,, and that the ways of this universe are all that exists,, and as we can see,, in all that exists, there exists energy,, so of course theres no such thing as nothing,, because we are something, surrounded by somethings,,,,

basically it seems to me,, you wish to justify a disattachment from what you are as energy, and a close knit part of the energetic family/existence of the universe,, by imagining that energy does its thing automatically, and its perfectly normal to create a human like yourself, and you are your own, and completely free and separate,, because random particles can just pop into existence,,

i dont see any other benefit or truth to your line of thinking other then that,,. you think the microscopic particles across the entire area of the universe, coalesced into stars and galaxies, and obeyed unwritten and undemanding laws, of what particle to turn into and what particle to attract to and bond,,. etc..

edit on 28-3-2012 by ImaFungi because: (no reason given)

Holy crap! I thought of all that stuff??? I'm a lot smarter than I look! Though personally, I was going for that oatmeal theory.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

maybe i wrote that late at night and got carried away,, maybe i am wrong,, lets say im wrong,, and ill say im sorry.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

But did you say a state of absolute nothing cannot exist?

does this allow you to believe that, if absolute nothing exists ( wherever the universe is existing) the natural progression/state/action/activity/event/ is for an incomprehensible amount of energy and force and orchestration from the microest quantom level to the macroest galactic level to come into existence,, and exist,,, this is normal,, this is what should happen given the "conditions",, this happens "on its own",, yet " none of it is in control",,,,

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Baron01

Originally posted by Blue Shift
I tend to think that matter is what happens when there is a vortex that spirals down into another dimension, and there are so many vortexes close to each other that they get all jammed up against each other to the point where there's no relative movement. Too many holes to fall down into.

Yeah, it's nuts.

without movement there wouldn't be any matter.

I'm thinking of movement spiraling or imploding "down" into another dimension. And the lack of movement actually creates the illusion of solidity.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by smithjustinb

Originally posted by Trublbrwing

Nobody knows because it does not matter.

What if it does matter though? What if you learned that atoms were made of consciousness. This would lend credence to the idea of God as well as be a huge leap in the unification of biology and physics.

Of course, it being consciousness is, at this point, hypothetical, but the idea has PLENTY of anecdotal support which should not be overlooked.

Whatever a god is made of, it is still a thing. So, how can one thing (atoms) give credence to another thing (a god)? Wouldn't this god then have to consider where its own consciousness came from? And wouldn't THAT consciousness have to wonder if another god created it? (LOL, did that make any sense?)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

[Or observed. Which leads me to my definition of what matter, or energy, is. Consciousness.

Love this thread, but PLEASE don't go to some mystical magical god as an answer! PLEASE!

Why not? What if that's actually what it is?

The FINAL answer cannot be a god. Too many people are satisfied with this and just accept that a god never had a beginning or an end. So, why look any further?

If we look at the overwhleming evidence for the existence of everything, what we find is 'cycles'. EVERYTHING has a beginning and an end. Trees grow, drop seeds to create more trees, and dies. Birds grow, eat the seeds, make babies, and dies. Humans grow, eat the birds, make babies, and dies. Galaxies grow, then disintegrate into particles so that other galaxies will form, and dies. This universe had a beginning and it will have an end.

Why should whatever created this universe be immune from such cycles? Maybe that's all there is: cycles upon cycles upon cycles... For me, to think of our universe sitting in a petri dish in a lab within another dimension that is sitting in a petri dish in a lab...makes a lot more sense than a final answer of god.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   

reply to post by jiggerj

maybe i wrote that late at night and got carried away,, maybe i am wrong,, lets say im wrong,, and ill say im sorry.

No problem. I enjoyed it. Oh, wait a minute. So now you're saying I'm NOT that smart! Why you!

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Does this have anything to do with the electric universe theory by chance?

Could matter just be that, atoms in a given arrangement and form, and properties arise out of said form and arrangement?

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Here's my current belief, based on lots of reading, research and personal experimentation.

In a nutshell: we are individuated units of consciousness/spiritual beings having a physical experience in a simulated/digital reality. As a consequence, matter is a construct of consciousness and therefore doesn't exist as a purely objective, separate thing from you, the conscious observer.

In video-games, a wall is a simple plane equation that constrains your character's velocity, according to a specific ruleset enforced by the game. Well it seems that our own reality could work just like that as well.

More and more scientists are starting the consider the virtual reality hypothesis, with promising results - it's even spawning its own new branch of science called Digital Physics. This theory explains so many things that our current mainstream theories just can't: the wave/particle duality, why the speed of light is constant, etc... I won't go into too much details, but here are some starting points to conduct your personal research on this topic and wet your appetite:
- Look up the double slit experiment
- "The Physical World as a Virtual Reality" paper by mathematician Brian Whitworth - shows you why it's a better theory than QM and Relativity
- NASA Physicist Tom Campbell & My Big TOE:

- Interview with MIT professor and string theory researcher Dr. James Gates, who recently discovered "checksum codes" in the string theory equations

There's a lot more to find on this very interesting topic, so do your own research

edit on 29-3-2012 by FrenchFrog because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   

matter, the actual stuff of the universe, is made up of quantum foam. Little bubbles in a superconductive superfluid with perfectly elastic properties.
So you have tiny foam bubbles that are Plank length in diameter, and they are all trying to expand into the vacuum of space at the same time. The universe is expanding. So then these bubbles combine to make larger bubbles until you get an atomic nucleus. Now depending on the state that nucleus is in, such as is it resisting expansion because it is a bubble under heavy pressure? You see each atom, exists in a slot. The periodic table of elements. Its atomic weight.

SO then what is weight? Weight is like mass. Intrinsic mass. The mass the object has of its own.

Light has no mass of its own.Bubbles have mass, because they are resisting the expansion of the universe.
Each little nucleus bubble, existing in its own little gravity well.

Now then as it sits there compressed, under pressure, trying to expand, it pulses in and out. That is the atomic frequency. Each element has a distinct frequency.

BUT! Since it is there in space-time pulsing in and out under pressure, in a set pattern, driven by the expansive force of the universe, it has intrinsic mass. That is to say, to move it sideways, you are deviating it from its normal pattern of in and out, and as such to move it requires force.

Now as that one atom is pulsing in and out and sending out waves, the waves from other atoms are combining with those waves, and some are canceling out, creating a low pressure area between them, Which causes them to be attracted and if conditions are right to form a bond there to become part of a compound.

Now the fact that, one atomic nucleus, one element, can only be in certain states, such as a particular depth of gravity well of its own, under a particular pressure, that means that it will appear as a unique element and copper for instance today, will be copper tomorrow and we call that matter or substance.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by rwfresh
reply to post by intrptr

It's not dumb. It's obvious! Just remember though.. it's all relative here inside the reflection of a hologram hahaha

if we're in a hologram how do we feel? holograms are computer generated to simulate. But a simulator cannot portray the difnitive answer such as the pain from breaking a bone. It will always be missing an element when comparing it to reality. Reality and hologram are two different things. If it is a hologram, then whatever is making the hologram is reality.
edit on 29-3-2012 by Soulece because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 04:07 AM
link   

reply to post by jiggerj

But did you say a state of absolute nothing cannot exist?

does this allow you to believe that, if absolute nothing exists ( wherever the universe is existing) the natural progression/state/action/activity/event/ is for an incomprehensible amount of energy and force and orchestration from the microest quantom level to the macroest galactic level to come into existence,, and exist,,, this is normal,, this is what should happen given the "conditions",, this happens "on its own",, yet " none of it is in control",,,,

You make it sound like this universe and everything in it had to have been planned, with some type of intelligence in control. All we have to do is look around us to see the randomness of it all. One day the ocean is calm, the next day it has ten foot waves, the next day a tsunami... Though we can now understand what causes such conditions it by no means implies that someone is in control of it. Does someone deliberately manipulate the wind? Lightning? Volcanoes? Why would it be any different for the creation of the universe?

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join