It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is matter? No one knows.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Baddguy

It doesn't seem like it makes sense, but that is exactly how it is. We can see the atom in all of its possible existing places and it really is there and at the same time it isn't, although it will only end up in one position. It's a really strange concept, this superposition thing.
edit on 28-3-2012 by arpgme because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by arpgme
reply to post by Baddguy

It doesn't seem like it makes sense, but that is exactly how it is. We can see the atom in all of its possible existing places and it really is there and at the same time it isn't, although it will only end up in one position. It's a really strange concept, this superposition thing.

so like an idea you can see your mind ..and at the same time its not really there because its in your mind??
i guess what im tryna say is could the first step be some devine idea and "energy" comes into play with the manifestation of the idea

edit on 28-3-2012 by Baddguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Baddguy

First off, we must keep in mind that "nothing" doesn't exist. What we call "The Void" which is no matter, no heat, and no light, is actually never empty, because in such a case particles will pop in and out of existence. It is an entire field of potential. It is the place where things are there and not there at the same time, but by measuring it, it gives the illusion of particles popping in and out of existence which is why they are called virtual particles.

So this field of energy or potential, so something that actually exists in what we would call "void" although there really is no such thing as "void" just really low levels of energy which is called potential and has the ability to manifest as a higher level of energy.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by smithjustinb

We percieve matter as solid because this way we can notice the difference between objects and the space between objects. While matter/energy consists of tiny building blocks, everything is made of empty space.

edit on 28-3-2012 by Baron01 because: bad spelling

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   

You are taking the word "energy" and giving it the definition from Newtonian Physics and trying to apply it to Quantum Physics which uses the same word but with a different meaning. Energy does not mean "the ability to do something" in the quantum world.

Yes it does.

Energy is actually something that exist, the pure essence or vibrating waves or frequencies that exists in all things.

Before you ask, the vibrating waves / frequencies are not made out of anything.

Then matter isn't made out of anything? Just vibrating nothingness?

This is the manifestation of potential sort of like how atoms can be in super position, many places at once energetically but then it only takes one place once it is manifested in reality as measured.

Or observed. Which leads me to my definition of what matter, or energy, is. Consciousness.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Baron01

We percieve matter as solid because this way we can note the difference between objects and the space between objects. While matter/energy consists of tiny building blocks, everything is made of empty space.

This is very true. Even the building blocks are made up of smaller building blocks which are also made up of over 99% empty space. Even the macrocosm is 99% empty space. Your own relative size determines what is mostly empty space and what is not, but truthfully, everything is mostly empty space and the particles themselves against the back drop of that can barely be said to even exist at all. Yet we don't observe space, we observe the objects in space which we then use as references to define space. We observe objects because our conscious awareness is focused into a certain size so that things smaller appear as mostly form and things larger appear as mostly empty.

This is why I believe that particles don't really exist except as consciousness in which case they are only imagined.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Energy is actually something that exist, the pure essence or vibrating waves or frequencies that exists in all things.

Before you ask, the vibrating waves / frequencies are not made out of anything.

Originally posted by smithjustinb
Then matter isn't made out of anything? Just vibrating nothingness?

Not at all, because "nothing" doesn't exist... I explained this more in an earlier post.

Let me summarize, nothing really doesn't exist. Nothing is nonexistence and it is impossible for nonexistence to exist. What we call "void" or "nothingness" that place where there is no light or heat or matter, in this complete "empty" space, particles pop in and out of existence because a field of potential exist (vacuum energy, zero point field). There is never "nothing" just extremely low energy levels. Particles pop in and out of existence from this field but they are simultaneously existing and non-existing since it is from the field of potential that they arise, from low energy levels (vacuum) to a higher one (virtual particles).

For more in formation you can research more about zero-point field , vacuum energy, it goes in to this a lot more and it gives a more detailed explanation...

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   

For more in formation you can research more about zero-point field , vacuum energy, it goes in to this a lot more and it gives a more detailed explanation...

What I got out of that is that "empty" space actually contains a small iota of energy (still referred to as the ability to do work). That's all well and good, but there was NO explanation for what the energy actually IS. They referenced it as vibrating strings, but failed to explain what those strings actually were.

So my original post's question is still unanswered.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   

What I got out of that is that "empty" space actually contains a small iota of energy (still referred to as the ability to do work). That's all well and good, but there was NO explanation for what the energy actually IS. They referenced it as vibrating strings, but failed to explain what those strings actually were.

So my original post's question is still unanswered.

thats why i wanna say energy comes from a thought..when there is an idea it becomes potential energy and has "the ability to do work" when the idea is in motion, the energy is transfered to a different plane and vibrates..

i wish i could explain whats on my brian better but im kind of a ra-tard

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Energy can not be measured directly. It is a scalar quantity. It is a waveform of information containing potential and relationships with other waveforms. A waveform is a disturbance which travels through space and time with the transference of energy, but energy itself cannot be measured directly.

The foundation of the waveform itself, depends on the information, which is the fundamental forces of nature (electric, magnetic, luminous, thermal...)

The zero-point field or the "void" is a field that is omnipresent with potential. There can never be a place without energy because energy is potential itself which allows the material to manifest.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Quarks. Maybe preons.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Baron01

We percieve matter as solid because this way we can note the difference between objects and the space between objects. While matter/energy consists of tiny building blocks, everything is made of empty space.

This is why I believe that particles don't really exist except as consciousness in which case they are only imagined.

Everything we experience occurs within the brain. So the brain is like an imagination machine which creates our entire physical and mental reality. Knowing this, the brain doesn't exist as we know it and we're left clueless.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Baron01

Occur is not the right word. I think "filter" is a better one. The waveforms are all around and yet your body is like an instrument filtering it in a way that is understandable to the human mind.

Sound wave goes into the ear and translate from the brain into audio.

Waves of light go into the eye and translates from the brain into color.'

Instead of saying that everything is occurring in the brain, it is probably more accurate to say that waveform / energy is all around and our instruments (ear, eye, nose, etc.) is filtering it in a way that makes sense for the human brain.

For example, some colors, humans can not see, and some sounds humans can not hear...

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   

reply to post by Baron01

Occur is not the right word. I think "filter" is a better one. The waveforms are all around and yet your body is like an instrument filtering it in a way that is understandable to the human mind.

Sound wave goes into the ear and translate from the brain into audio.

Waves of light go into the eye and translates from the brain into color.'

Instead of saying that everything is occurring in the brain, it is probably more accurate to say that waveform / energy is all around and our instruments (ear, eye, nose, etc.) is filtering it in a way that makes sense for the human brain.

For example, some colors, humans can not see, and some sounds humans can not hear...

English is not my best language.

I think the word information would fit better than waves because how do know those are really waves?

And I disagree that there are colors humans can't see or sounds humans can't hear because in reality there no colors and sounds. We see colors and hear sounds after the information has been processed by the brain.
edit on 28-3-2012 by Baron01 because: the

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Nobody knows because it does not matter.
Of course when scientists figure it out the first thing they'll do is make weapons from it.
DOOM.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Baron01

It is truth. For example, butterflies can see more colors than use and dogs can hear more sounds...

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I have often wondered this myself OP and I have come to the conclusion that I just don't know. lol

I still ponder the idea and the only thing I have come up with is matter is an observation from thought.

Without someone to experience thought.... matter does not exist.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   

reply to post by Baron01

It is truth. For example, butterflies can see more colors than use and dogs can hear more sounds...

I think the point may be that while butterflies may sense a broader range of light frequencies and dogs may sense a broader range of frequencies of air vibrations, to say they experience them as colours and sounds as we do is an assumption. The inner experiences we call colour and sound are qualia and can only be experienced subjectively so there is no way of knowing how another species (or indeed another human being) may experience them.

qualia
edit on 28/3/12 by morkington because: added link

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   

reply to post by Baron01

Colors and sounds don't exist in reality. Every animal percieves reality in it's own way based upon which species it belongs.

Btw how do you kow butterflies can see more colors than us?
edit on 28-3-2012 by Baron01 because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-3-2012 by Baron01 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by ErroneousDylan
Quarks. Maybe preons.

Not "maybe". Instead: "definitely. Here is the overwhelming proof:
smphillips.8m.com...
smphillips.8m.com...
Here is what a quark consists of: three subquark states of E8xE8 heterotic superstrings bound by SU(3) hypercolour gluons in (3,2) torus knots of Nielson-Oleson vortices in the Higgs superfluid that permeates space-time.
Here's what the subquark superstring looks like:
smphillips.8m.com...
Ultimately, each of the ten closed curves making up the superstring consists of extremely small toroidal bubbles, seven being spaced evenly around a circle. They are cavities in a 5-brane - a 5-d chunk of space embedded in 26-d space-time.
It is wrong to say no one knows what matter is. What you really mean is that YOU don't know, that's all. A few of us have known what matter is for several decades. This website provides the research answers. People just need the intellectual courage and ability to examine it.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join