It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police: Zimmerman story is 'consistent' with evidence in Trayvon Martin shooting

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Police: Zimmerman story is 'consistent' with evidence in Trayvon Martin shooting

www.foxnews.com

A slain U.S. teenager and the neighborhood watch captain who shot and killed him exchanged words before the teen punched him in the nose and began banging the man's head on the ground, according to the watch captain's account of the confrontation that led to the shooting.

Because 17-year-old Trayvon Martin was black and George Zimmerman has a white father and Hispanic mother, the case has become a racial flashpoint that has civil rights leaders and others leading a series of protests around the country. Zimmerman said he shot Martin in self-defense and has not been arrested.

The Orlando Sentinel reported that Zimmerman told police he lost Martin in the neighborhood he regularly patrolled and was walking back to his vehicle last month when the youth approached him from behind.

The two exchanged words, Zimmerman said, and Martin punched him, jumped on top of him and began banging his head on a sidewalk. Zimmerman said he began crying for help; Martin's family thinks it was their son who was crying out. Witness accounts differ, and emergency tapes in which the voices are heard are not clear.

A statement from Sanford, Florida police said the newspaper story was "consistent" with evidence turned over to prosecutors.

edit on 28/3/2012 by Dark Ghost because: fixed formatting

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 06:00 AM
link   
I've been reluctant to share my opinion on this story, but decided it was time after reading this link. Apparently Zimmerman's account of what happened matches with the evidence that the police have at their disposal. I believe Zimmerman was in the wrong for pursuing Martin which has resulted in the unnecessary death of a young person. On the other hand, Zimmerman's claims that he was acting in self-defence after the escalation of the situation appear to be true. According to the law, it seems as though Zimmerman was acting in self-defence, regardless of whether or not he was in the wrong for pursuing Martin initially.

This death is a tragedy and nobody can blame family and friends of the victim in their pursuit of justice. However, I am concerned by the opportunism of the media and the exploitation of this tragedy by certain groups to push forth an agenda and instigate a Race War. Unfortunately, it appears that anything short of a guilty verdict will result in increased racial tensions, regardless of the facts of the case. This is the picture that has been painted by the media, the police and civil rights groups.

Thoughts?
edit on 28/3/2012 by Dark Ghost because: fixed formatting

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Ya we know

JUSTICE FOR ZIMMERMAN

ZImmerman is innocent

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 06:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

Sanford PD is a pretty untrustworthy source after they botched up this case so bad. I am not saying they are lying to cover their ass. I am just saying the are probably lying to cover their ass.

Make of that what you will.

Also, Really? You could have added this to the main thread. It would have been so easy.
edit on 28-3-2012 by TsukiLunar because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Zimmerman went looking for trouble and he found it. That's what this story is about. All the race crap is people jumping the gun before getting all the facts.

What's really sad is if this were a black-killing-black, white-killing-white, etc.... this would be a non-story except maybe the local media in Florida. Where's the outcry from Louis Farrakhan and Jesse Jackson when kids are shooting each other to piece in L.A., NY, Chicago, etc?

I guess it's only horrifying when the color of the skin is different between victim and killer. Hmmm.... sounds a little racist to me. Hypocrites just looking for media attention.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 06:26 AM
link   

i agree with what you say,but why was zimmerman following this guy? he was a neighbor hood watch guy no?
well he seen a questionable person in the hood,and he did his job. did martin live there?
i don't know these things,but i think if this is the case,and zimmerman was attacked,well he acted!
dont agree with the death of a person,and maybe he didnt mean to kill the guy,maybe he just wanted to make him stop slamming his head off of the side walk! just a thought.
no carges yet? i see trouble brewing. i'm in a mixed relationship and i worry for my family

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by TsukiLunar

Sanford PD is a pretty untrustworthy source after they botched up this case so bad. I am not saying they are lying to cover their ass. I am just saying the are probably lying to cover their ass.

Make of that what you will.

Also, Really? You could have added this to the main thread. It would have been so easy.
edit on 28-3-2012 by TsukiLunar because: (no reason given)

In what way do you believe the police "botched" this case? From all I have read, they collected evidence, talked to witnesses, etc., just as they should do. I keep seeing similar statements, but have as yet seen nothing to back that claim. Do you have a link to a story about that aspect of the issue? Thanks.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 06:33 AM
link   
m.youtube.com...#/watch?feature=mhee&v=hPqQRHAIHUQ
edit on 28-3-2012 by vicnc2012 because: link

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 06:51 AM
link   
I've avoided this topic like the plague, but now I'll join in.

One question. If Trayvon had been white, Hispanic, or Middle-Eastern in appearance, would we still be discussing the issue?

Or if Zimmerman were African-American, would it still be an issue?

What happened was a tragedy, no one disputes that central fact. But I believe this tragedy is being exploited by certain parties to fulfill their own agendas, whatever they may be.

And that's disgusting.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Likewise. Every thread and its mother is a story about trayvon and zimmerman.. If the races had been switched this would not have been past the local papers. The media did the same thing with the OJ simpson case.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
I've avoided this topic like the plague, but now I'll join in.

One question. If Trayvon had been white, Hispanic, or Middle-Eastern in appearance, would we still be discussing the issue?

Or if Zimmerman were African-American, would it still be an issue?

What happened was a tragedy, no one disputes that central fact. But I believe this tragedy is being exploited by certain parties to fulfill their own agendas, whatever they may be.

And that's disgusting.

What about all of the killings in Chicago? Why doesn't Rev.Sharpton go to Chicago?

-------
It's clear Zimmerman acted in self defense.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by MattNC
Zimmerman went looking for trouble and he found it. That's what this story is about. All the race crap is people jumping the gun before getting all the facts.

What's really sad is if this were a black-killing-black, white-killing-white, etc.... this would be a non-story except maybe the local media in Florida. Where's the outcry from Louis Farrakhan and Jesse Jackson when kids are shooting each other to piece in L.A., NY, Chicago, etc?

I guess it's only horrifying when the color of the skin is different between victim and killer. Hmmm.... sounds a little racist to me. Hypocrites just looking for media attention.

A lot of you seem to be missing the fact that the only reason this story is big news is because Trayvon Martin's parents weren't going to let Zimmerman get away for killing their child. They weren't going to let him slide with nothing.
They tried getting the police to do a proper investigation as they completely messed up with this one, but when the police didn't, Martin's parents did the next best thing. They went to the media to put pressure on the police department to do a proper investigation.
Race has nothing to do with why this story is in the media. It's only because his parents weren't going to stand for a murderer to get off clean without a trial.
edit on 28/3/2012 by Believer101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Believer101

A lot of you seem to be missing the fact that the only reason this story is big news is because Trayvon Martin's parents weren't going to let Zimmerman get away for killing their child. They weren't going to let him slide with nothing.
They tried getting the police to do a proper investigation as they completely messed up with this one, but when the police didn't, Martin's parents did the next best thing. They went to the media to put pressure on the police department to do a proper investigation.
Race has nothing to do with why this story is in the media. It's only because his parents weren't going to stand for a murderer to get off clean without a trial.

- Race has nothing to do with this story -

Thanks. I needed a good laugh.

If Zimmerman was black then this story would be on the back pages next to the

grocery ads.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Just a question to you, OP, about your link. If the evidence they gathered during the investigation early on is consistent with Zimmerman's story, why did they want to arrest him early on but were basically told no?

SANFORD -- Despite public claims that there wasn’t enough probable cause to make a criminal case in the Trayvon Martin killing, early in the investigation the Sanford Police Department requested an arrest warrant from the Seminole County State Attorney’s office, the special prosecutor in the case told The Miami Herald on Tuesday.

A Sanford Police incident report shows the case was categorized as “homicide/negligent manslaughter.”

The state attorney’s office held off pending further review, The Miami Herald has learned.

Read more here: Source

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Eurisko2012

Originally posted by Believer101

- Race has nothing to do with this story -

Thanks. I needed a good laugh.

If Zimmerman was black then this story would be on the back pages next to the

grocery ads.

Nice way of picking and choosing only part of a line of what I said. Here, I'll say it again for you since you seem to be oblivious of what I actually said.
There, I even bolded it for you. Not once in that did I state that race had nothing to do with the shooting itself. I said race had nothing to do with why this is in the media.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Believer101

You're digging a hole. Stop digging. Zimmerman is an innocent man who acted

in self defense. Obama is - using - this shooting as a wedge issue during an

election year.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Seems like Zimmerman's story is changing a bit.

I thought he got jumped while walking back to his truck.

Now, Trayvon stopped him for a chat and then punched him???

Yeah...that sounds exactly like what a scared teenager trying to run away from someone would do.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   
It cant be both ways. So Zimmerman lied there. So he has lied about the case that automatically puts all of his statements in bad light. Not the smartest batman this guy?

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps
It cant be both ways. So Zimmerman lied there. So he has lied about the case that automatically puts all of his statements in bad light. Not the smartest batman this guy?

Zimmerman is an innocent man. Call off the witch hunt.

When the investigation is complete you will all feel foolish.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Fox news/ opinion is not known for it's fair and balanced news and frankly it's an insult to posting such a biased news source for the intelligence of readers. Regardless of that here is how I see it:

Martin is pursued. He had serious concerns (expressed on the phone) about being followed. He tried to flee to avoid any confrontation.

Armed with a lethal weapon Zimmerman pursued, first in his car, then on foot (despite being told by operator not too), and ultimately had a face to face confrontation with him. We know Zimmerman was armed, and we know Martin had good reason to be worried. If Martin resorted to force that he reasonably believed he needed to defend himself, he is well within the law. It should not matter what Zimmerman feared at this point--Martin is legally entitled to use reasonable force to escape the confrontation with a armed person who is following him on car and on foot. It could have been a serial killer, gang member or a mugger following him.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join