It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

4.4 Off the Western US Coast?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Hi everyone, i know im going to get flamed like hell here, but this is more for discussion then anything else. A 4.4 was just registered off the Western US coast, now i know it is not the big one so don't stone me
. In my personal opinion their have been an increase in the number of small tremors in that area since the Mexican quake.

But my Question to the experts is: Is this normal for the Mendocino Fracture Zone? and could this possible be a sign a things to come?

Here is the USGS LINK
edit on 28-3-2012 by descendedstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 01:37 AM
link   
You'd only get flamed if you said the quake was wearing a hoodie and looked like it was up to no good...

It is a normal sized quake for the area... and I'd toss out a prediction... but people like surprises... so... keep your eyes open on April Fool's... and stay on the look out for shifty looking faults...

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 01:41 AM
link   
It is, i had a quake app on my phone and their was always something around 3-4... As far as i know those are small.... But what do i know im no expert

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 01:43 AM
link   
It's not uncommon off the coast there with for examples; 5.3 in Nov '11 and more- series of quakes from 2008. Though, would keep watch on to see if more occur and any relation further up the coast.
edit on 28-3-2012 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Is anyone else tired of these insignificant earthquake updates? Cool a 4.4 quake...what's the point?

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by dreamingawake
It's not uncommon off the coast there with for examples; 5.3 in Nov '11 and more- series of quakes from 2008. Though, would keep watch on to see if more occur and any relation further up the coast.
edit on 28-3-2012 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

Yes, i 100% agree with everyone here. I suppose we will have to continue to keep a look out. Although, i fine this tid-bit somewhat interesting. The 4.4 of the western coast happened at 5:42:26 UTC and another Quake which was 4.5 was registered at 5:39:40 UTC in Mexico. I know that both quakes happened on separate faults but it rings a bell to me considering they happened at virtually the same time and the same 10 km depth... very intriguing.

Link to Separate 4.5

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by RicFlair
Is anyone else tired of these insignificant earthquake updates? Cool a 4.4 quake...what's the point?

Nice try on derailing the discussion Ricflair. But I find it funny you are already "tired" of this topic considering you JUST registered on MARCH 16th,2012

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 02:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by descendedstar

Originally posted by RicFlair

Nice try on derailing the discussion Ricflair. But I find it funny you are already "tired" of this topic considering you JUST registered on MARCH 16th,2012

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by descendedstar

Some might think a lot of little quakes is a good thing. As opposed to a big one that is.
As long as things keep moving along a little bit, a little bit, then they are not building. If a smaller quake doesn't set off a bigger one then all is well for the geologic time being. I speak from having lived smack dab on the central west coast for over 50 years. I have seen a lot of quakes.

After the Mexico and Chile Rumblers I am expecting things to loosen up north were we are and apparently they are. Now, keep on shifting Pacific Ring. Don't stop.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 02:41 AM
link   
reply to post by jadedANDcynical

I suppose your right .. lol

And i'm no expert on this topic but it would defiantly make sense that a lot of frequent small quakes shows good movement. I'm assuming once the usgs map become quiet everyone may perk up. Also my reasoning for this thread was because the Mendocino fracture including the surrounding ones have been relatively silent, i'm aware of this because i'am constantly observing the usgs site up to 5-6 times a day

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by descendedstar

I think the "standard" rate of movement for a fault is about an inch a year. About as fast as fingernails grow. Glaciers move faster. Grass grows faster. Some places faults are "stuck" like LA. Every year that defecit builds until one day...

Don't have links for that right now, just remember hearing that simile on some such show. I think theres a Fremont, SF Bay Area fault that is "stuck" and also Cascadia too? The complexity comes with all the little branching faults that they know about, plus all the ones they don't.

The 1906 SF earthquake was a slip of 12 feet? Potential intensity is also dependent upon type of fault zone. Japan is a subduction zone and US west coast is a strike slip type. (except for Cascadia---subduction). Subduction zone quakes like Japan tend to be stronger and deeper. Notice I said "tend to" be deeper. The experts disagree about a lot of details, it's not an exact science. Usually they wait for them to occur and then pick up the pieces and say, ahhhh this is what happened.

Shake, Rattle and Roll.

I much prefer EQ'a to tornados, Hurricanes, Snow, floods, etc. 300 out of 365 days a year, California coastal weather is sunny and mild (so far).

new topics

top topics

join