It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it to late?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Nearly every week there are stories of extreme or unusual weather affecting different parts of the world
Nearly every week there are stories of proof that global warming is infact a reality and that it's accelerating.

The BBC did a 3 day special on it's news 24 channel about global warming and it's effects on the earth and what's to come in the next 100 years and it was scary.
In 100 years, the maldive islands will be under water
In 100 years, the sea level will rise upto 7 meters
In 100 years, oil and gas reserves will be depleted (BBC)
In 2003?, 30k of people in europe died due to a heatwave, the chances of that heatwave happening were 1 in a million (According to the bbc)
Now we're seeing "weird" weather in the form of multiple hurricanes hitting the atlantic coast.

My question is, is it to late to save our planet?
Will global warming destroy it before we can reverse the damage we've done?
At what point will our developed governments sit back and say "....doh!" and actually do something?
I've never really cared about the environement up until this point, at the age of 24 i'm seeing changes in my part of the UK which signify that the world is changing and not for the better.
Anyone share a similiar fear of the future? or lack of?

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I think that you'll find that its too late and we've completly screwed the planet up, us humans, with our, "dont give a crap" attitude and our "ill do it later" if we are VERY lucky, and start right now to try and save it, we might get an extra 50 years before the worst happens.

If anyone is NOT helping at all its the Americans while in control of Bush.

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 03:20 PM
link   

In 100 years oil reserves will be depleted

i read somewhere that its closer to 30-50 years

... is it too late to save our planet?

you bet it is!

i was watching the science channel a few weeks back. they followed a team of scientists who were taking some of the deepest ice-core samples ever taken.

what these scientists found was that our current period of global warming wsa nothing new. they said (and this was the mind blower for me) that this warming effect preceded an ice-age by decades. yes, decades, not centuries...

they went on to say that the planet is (has been, since human life came to be) the warmest that its EVER been. im not sure of exact numbers but they put this graph up... i think the mean temperature for earths history has been something like 5-6 degrees colder, globally... if i can find a link to the episode i saw i'll post it...

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 03:25 PM
link   
how long has the earth really been here?
how long have we been keeping weather records?
isn't sience (especially this sience) mainly theory?
the dinosours came and went didn't they?
nothing will stop the downfall of mankind once it truly begins. Worrying about global warming is a wast of time what are we going to do stop evreyone from burning fossil feul? i think you would see the end alot quicker my freind.
and we must not forget we will have to go around the place and block up all of the worlds volcano's to stop them spewing out simmilar gases.
and i'm quite sure once we achieved that a huge meteor will hit the earth and stuff everthing!!
yes it is to late get on with it stop worrying about stuff that is out of your control.
the earth will be here for a long time yet as for humans being here who knows. the main thing is the oceans that are rising are the key to life, while there is water here there will be life according to scientists that is why they are looking all over the universe to try and find more off the stuff.
most of the mars mission has been based on the search for signs of life and the main thing they are looking for is water.

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Assassin

In 100 years oil reserves will be depleted

i read somewhere that its closer to 30-50 years

Aye, it seems to depend on who you talk to or where you goto read
Swedish scientists say we'll reach the peak in 2012, some say 50 years time and we'll run out or very low.
Either way, it's scary

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 10:34 AM
link   
I don't think we're beyond saving. What I *do* think needs to be done is to have people involved and promoting simple stuff; doable stuff. And we need more writers writing articles for newspapers and magazines (and books.)

But, I do believe there's a lot of things that WE (as nobody in particular) can do, and that would include good, solid, well-researched reports and discussions on BBSs (like ATS.) We're a large spot on the Internet, but in "spreading the word" you can also help make more people aware of what's going on.

So maybe one person in 20 reads your message and really really cares (or one in 200) -- that's one person that couldn't have been reached by other methods.

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by The_Squid
If anyone is NOT helping at all its the Americans while in control of Bush.

I think America has been the problem for many years, regardless of who was president. Bush just represents the worst leader you could have to make the problem worse...total ignorance.

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 09:50 PM
link   
EXCLUSIVE: Interview with Dr. Camille Parmesan on Climate Changes, Biosystems, and U.S. Policy

www.abovetopsecret.com...

A very good article.
And yes I believe we are to far int climate change by man to easily revert it.
I don't think it is the end of time but I believe that dramatic changes will escalate. Read the post it is much more optimistic than I am

posted on Sep, 27 2004 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I think you will find man-kind will turn back to tribal ways again, fighting for resources, food, water and space. The "modern" way of life will dissapear, and we will revert to the "survival of the fitest" way of living...

It wont be an easy way of living, and its likely to take place in about 25-30 years im afraid, getting more worse every year.

posted on Sep, 27 2004 @ 09:34 AM
link   
In a hundred years people are going to look back at ideas like these (this thread) and laugh at how arrogant people were to think we have anything to do with global warming.
to put this "weird weather" into perspective look at hurricanes
Everyone is saying that the number of hurricanes is proof of global warming
Problem is the last time a single state was hit by 4 in one season was in 1856 long before there was enough human tech to be influencing the weather.
The fact is the earth is not like a central air cooled house it does not have the same constant temp at all times it fluctuates from season to season and year to year. 100 years from now when all these "doomsday" predictions have been proved false humanity will look back and laugh.

posted on Sep, 27 2004 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by mwm1331
In a hundred years people are going to look back at ideas like these (this thread) and laugh at how arrogant people were to think we have anything to do with global warming.
to put this "weird weather" into perspective look at hurricanes
Everyone is saying that the number of hurricanes is proof of global warming
Problem is the last time a single state was hit by 4 in one season was in 1856 long before there was enough human tech to be influencing the weather.
The fact is the earth is not like a central air cooled house it does not have the same constant temp at all times it fluctuates from season to season and year to year. 100 years from now when all these "doomsday" predictions have been proved false humanity will look back and laugh.

No no no.... We will look back at this thread IF we have access to comper+internet still... and laugh at how wrong YOU are!

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 03:27 AM
link   
This is what goes through my mind when I read about possible rapid climate changes. Think about it for a minute.

Rapid warming and unpredictable weather patterns: ecosystem failure � forests that now take CO2 and give Oxygen could die off or burn. Widespread crop failure begetting famine, with famine comes unstable governments, with unstable governments, possibility of war and if the countries happen to be nuclear powers � who knows? At the other end of the spectrum a potential ice age would bring famine again and dislocated populations, unstable governments, etc, etc.

Caveat, I�m not a scientist and I am not predicting these things. I sincerely hope that I am completely wrong.

new topics

top topics

join