It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This post spoken not typed by Siri

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   
This is going to be my attempt to create a post on above top secret, using only the new iPad threes Siri voice to text ability.

Keeping in mind I've always been an apple fanboy I have had every generation of the iPhone,  I do work in the industry so getting them is practical from a certain perspective. However that being said anything I say about the iPad may best be taken with a grain of salt.

the main feature of the new iPad  is the new retina display which don't get me wrong is fairly amazing with the extremely high resolution, I find the webpages look better on my new iPad than they do on my LCD computer screen.

The  feature I am finding most  impressive is the speech to text ability, it also adds the ability to use text to speech to type in any textual input. I have a history of using speech text software from Dragon Naturally Speaking when they first come out till recent release.

Okay now I'm coming to the main point of this post from here on out I will only speak into the iPad without correcting any of the spelling grammar or punctuation mistakes that Siri creates on its own

Now

as I said  this one will be without editing now the method I am using to do this as I am typing while not typing speaking into the notepad on the sitter on the iPad I will then copy and paste this into the web browser to show how accurate Siri can be I am however taking special care to pronounce and speak not at an extremely slow rate but average rate of speech

As you can probably ready how punctuation is immediately erased I believe that's because I'm not taking the time to speak the punctuation which I will test now by saying.

That's pretty funny I have to say. But. But  Now that was spoken a little faster and as you can tell him there were some errors in it and I should try to talk more naturally now as I progress down the post so as I progress you probably will see a degradation in the quality of the voice to text but as you can see if you take care from the above paragraph it does seem to work.

I'm  surprise that came out because I'm talking now at a fairly fast clip and you can still see that it's and maybe legible but need some error correcting otherwise I'm talking at normal pace not fully right.

gangster mom I'm talking at normal pace so I would guess the normal thing would be to go back and edit out any of the problems that arise from using text-to-speech but like I said I'm almost talking completely form this is how to talk to my friends on phone say on and personally am it seems to be working fairly well and not messing up too much on what I'm actually saying.

I didn't say gangster mom but that's pretty funny am yeah so that's pretty much a post I just wanted to show everyone something I found very interesting  on the
new iPad again just not really anything conspiracy related just kind of cool that I can just sit here and talk and this tiny little iPad right out the box can do it and I'm sure I'll get flamed by people who hate apple. 

I know other devices computers software programs have the ability to turn speech into text I just never have seen one where it's literally a key on the iPad keyboard I press and a text menu  form or post on above top of secrets could just bespoken and written with one push of a button and plus it works fairly well for being a standard option on a new device.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
I burst out laughing at "gangster mom". Pretty good software otherwise. What were you trying to say when gangster mom broke out?

Edit: Still laughing.
edit on 27-3-2012 by superman2012 because: (no reason given)

Edit#2: Please change the name of the post to " Siri breaks out Gangster Mom".
edit on 27-3-2012 by superman2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by superman2012

To be honest I'm actually not sure what I was trying to say that came out as gangster mom I'll just see you know though I will be replying to every post in this thread with a voice reply with no editing

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   
You sure you didnt mean gangster mom?

Freudian slip?

Heh what did u actually say then?

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by BiggerPicture

I honestly have no clue what Canadas
I am I think it's because I'm talking a lot and talking and there's a lot of moms and eyes and try to think what to say because honestly when you're typing you can take your time and talking you just talk so that's kind of fun at the BC what comes out

See what I mean I'm going to talk slowly I have to plan out what I say because otherwise there will be a lot of pauses and breaks in my speech and I think that's what's messing up the actual text-to-speech and if I were to read a statement they could possibly come out better

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

moms and eyes = umms and ahhs?

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by superman2012

That would be it.

I'm actually wondering how this work with different accents I'm from Southern California born and raised and I have a standard Californian accent which is prevalent in movies and TV shows so that's pretty much how Californians sound I would wonder how well this would work for anyone with say an Australian on British accent I can talk in those so I have no way of knowing I could probably find a video on YouTube and try to light converted and see how that turns out

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   
This thread is sofa king great

From what I understand though, the new iPad doesn't actually have the Siri that you interact with on the iPhone 4S - it just has a good voice command function
edit on 27-3-2012 by Hawking because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Okay that's really weird I went to YouTube and found the video of the actress doing 21 accents all the different voices and I'm not kidding when I get that this was the response that Siri had

You suck
edit on 27-3-2012 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Hawking

Correct it's not full Surrey it's only in the keyboard of the iPad there's a little microphone at the corner and in any actual input on the iPad you can use your voice to enter the text without typing

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Haha interesting and nice, I wonder how long it is before we get some kind of full advanced AI that will be of a much higher caliber than Siri and some of the other Android knockoffs that are on the market. Was always interested in this stuff and definitely would like to play around with it myself.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Seriously that gangster mom made me wake up everyone at 5 am laughing!!!!!!

What were you trying to say anyway? I cant come up with anything that can be close to gangster mom LOOOL

omg...

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   
I'll be blunt, and say that Iris is better.

That said, I'm not going to try using my Photon to counter with another speech-to-text post.

I look at the value of a program from a functional standpoint. Is it something I will find useful?

Personally, I find it incredibly distracting to attempt to turn speech into text. That is a useless feature to me, aside from "computer, remind me that I have an appointment for Yellow Fever vaccinations on Thursday at 1500." I learned to type from a very early age, and I type in a far more structured manner than how I speak (typically).

Iris, to me, comes far closer to being a 'virtual assistant' than Siri does. Rather than flipping through an interface, I can direct the program to perform a wide range of tasks with a single sentence - with minimal physical interaction necessary on my part.

That's not to say that Siri can't do that... but it's like many of Apple's products... skin-deep in functionality. When you start to get deeper into Apple programs, all of them are fundamentally broken and have seen many years without address.

Keep in mind - while I'm the "anti-apple fan-boy" - it's not to say that Siri 'sucks' and 'will always suck' - but that Apple suffers from a considerable lack of consumer technical knowledge and feedback. The products will never improve unless they get that feedback from their consumer base.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by MystiqueAgent

I remember when Apple first release their text-to-speech and you could make it talk like Stephen Hawking, I remember thinking how amazing that was then. Now with this I can imagine if you had rudimentary ai with heuristics over it really worked on it it could be made to be pretty amazing I could easily sit here typing out my thoughts.

's engine light I can't wait to see what comes after this what android or some developer and it's Raj comes out with her # use on Cyperus with this morning competition into would be pretty cool

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   
"there is a God" or should I say gangster mom

just needs a lil tweeking it seems

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   
woops double wammy
edit on 27-3-2012 by Rustami because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Aim64C

There's plenty of room in the marketplace for Apple and PC's, the point of this post was that this is the first that I know of commercial release to include in every single iPad that comes out every new device every new iPad will have voice to text from here on on out.

Which in itself says something about Apple's product that they're willing to put out their most speech to text don't see windows releasing it with every single device they have from here on out every iPhone every iPad and I would assume soon every Mac would have this option

I'm also a PC gamer and have always had a PC that's up to date custom-built by myself with all the latest hardware because I like games and that's probably the biggest downfall of Mac.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by benrl

the point of this post was that this is the first that I know of commercial release to include in every single iPad that comes out every new device every new iPad will have voice to text from here on on out.

This capability has been around since the mid 90s. I would also have to take a look back in the history books, but a lot of standard phones have come with a basic voice-recognition system that can accept prompts (I recall several commercials about it as a younger teenager involving a skier/snowboarder fumbling to use speed-dial).

I'm not saying that speech recognition as a baseline software is a bad thing - but it's certainly not some ground-breaking new feature.

Which in itself says something about Apple's product that they're willing to put out their most speech to text

Speech-to-text programs have been around for free and commercially for the past 15 years or more, for multiple operating systems.

This is part of the reason why so many things Apple makes are broken. They get so caught up in trying to innovate that they forget about development. Siri could easily be recognizing the natural pauses in your speech and comparing that with the context of the words to insert punctuation as appropriate. It could also be doing basic grammar checking that Word Perfect and MS Office, Open Office (and their mobile derivatives) have been doing for 12 years to avoid a number of the issues that are glaringly obvious with the program.

Sure - for an out-of-box program that requires no training; it's damned good, and demonstrates how our knowledge of audio patterns and processing has advanced.

But it could be so much more - and Apple will pretty much never improve on it. They will release another shiny thing to tote in an ad.

don't see windows releasing it with every single device they have from here on out

Microsoft doesn't need to develop it.

There are already open source projects that have very good speech recognition programs for Windows, Linux, and Android operating systems (both 'standard' and mobile versions). Available for free, developed by dedicated software engineers.

There are also commercially available programs.

every iPhone every iPad and I would assume soon every Mac would have this option

Every Android phone already does (which includes a wide range of phone manufacturers from Motorola to LG). So does every Windows PC, and I'm sure there are comparable programs available on the Windows Seven Mobile platform (though it is a much smaller market segment).

I'm also a PC gamer and have always had a PC that's up to date custom-built by myself with all the latest hardware because I like games and that's probably the biggest downfall of Mac.

The biggest downfall of Mac is their obsession with proprietary hardware and software. While the "One Big Apple" model works well in the beginning - history has shown that the market favors flexible software atop interchangeable hardware. Since the IEEE standards have become more strictly adhered to, and software standards have been established (DirectX/OpenGL/PhysX/OpenCL), the stability advantages once afforded to proprietary systems is rapidly evaporating.

Building a computer, even just 10 years ago, was a much more complicated task when it came to hardware nuances and drivers. Now... you almost have to try to screw a build up; and you can multi-boot the system into Windows, Linux... but not Mac.

Which is where Mac will soon have to decide whether they want to produce hardware, software, or an Operating System.

Google will succeed because they have decided to produce an operating system that couples with its servers and software in a creepily efficient manner (kind of eerie to log into face book on your phone and have everyone on your friends list appear in your phone's contact list).

Microsoft will succeed because they have decided to produce an operating system with secondary focus on the console market (though I believe they are the sleeping giant in download distribution... they've been doing that with software updates, servicing major corporations with huge bandwidths since the dawn of the internet).

IBM will succeed because they have decided to stick to hardware and system manufacturing, having formed strong business partnerships and alliances with virtually every computer/IT company in existence. They created 'the block' everyone else is walking around.

Motorola is kicking ass with their smart phone designs and sales. They build robust, powerful, reliable phones that currently couple well with the Android OS and we will probably see a mobile version of Windows 7 or 8 on them in due time.

Apple will need to make the same choice. They are not GE, LG, or Samsung.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 12:27 AM
link   
I called to pay my internet bill a while back and a friendly recording told me that Charter was going to a voice recognition system for account sign in's, I opted out but I suspect that is a temporary choice in the matter. Everybody's raving about all these new gadgets with face recognition, gps locations for your photos, voice pattern identifications, even software capable of telling what mood you're in and profiling you. I'm not a technophobe, and yeah, all that jazz is handy sure enough, but think a moment about the creepy underbelly to all this technology.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 12:56 AM
link   
I am also using Siri to talk to a t s and I think it is working well gangster mom. But. but it seems that some things are not recognized gangster dad and I will have to complain to gangster mom about it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join