It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Remember that Michigan Militia charged with sedition?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+33 more 
posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Michigan Militia cleared of charges!

DETROIT — A federal judge on Tuesday gutted the government’s case against seven members of a Michigan militia, dismissing the most serious charges in an extraordinary defeat for federal authorities who insisted they had captured homegrown rural extremists poised for war.

U.S. District Judge Victoria Roberts said the members’ expressed hatred of law enforcement didn’t amount to a conspiracy to rebel against the government. The FBI had secretly planted an informant and an FBI agent inside the Hutaree militia starting in 2008 to collect hours of anti-government audio and video that became the cornerstone of the case.

I have found a thread posted here awhile back asking if you thought these guys were guilty. Here it is- www.abovetopsecret.com...

Well it seems that the Judge thinks that they are not guilty. He did not even allow it to go to trial, he just threw out the government's case. For those of you that thought they were not guilty, you should be a judge here in the US. For those of you thought the other............shame.

By the way, in jail for two years, I wonder if Holder will be apologizing for this? Maybe Obama can call for a beer summit.

edit on 27-3-2012 by LIGHTvsDARK because: Finally, fixed link.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   
If someone can get the link to work, I would appreciate it. One more try here with a Tinyurl-
/cskks9l

Here is the name of the article if it does not work again- "Mich. militia members cleared of charges that accused them of plotting war against government" Washington Post

edit on 27-3-2012 by LIGHTvsDARK because: Last try

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Here is a Detroit Free Press article discussing the story.

www.freep.com...

In a sharp rebuke, a federal judge today acquitted seven members of a Lenawee County militia group of plotting to overthrow the U.S. government with weapons of mass destruction.

U.S. District Judge Victoria Roberts said federal prosecutors failed in five weeks of trial to prove that the Hutaree had a specific plan to kill a police officer and attack law enforcement personnel.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by usmc0311

Thanks for the additional media report. In your article, they state that unregistered guns is a felony charge? Wow, I am kind of glad all my guns fell into the lake that one time I went boating. Close one.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Just another attempt to destroy or disband a militia?

Don't think that's possible here in MI.
The Michigan Militia is huge,well organized and strong.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Well, all we have to do is look into the recent past 3 years and see that this is what we get with a Admin that operates on a emotional level, rather than rational.

They suck at paperwork, record keeping and obtaining evidence. And then obfuscate when they are caught doing the same thing.

Fast and Furious anyone?

The Hutaree may actually be bad people, but where is the evidence, other than hearsay?

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by azureskys

Well Holder and his fellas did a pretty good job here. They got to throw people in jail for 2 years. Look at how fast our system of justice turns. Plus, they got one person to plead guilty and there are still two charges against them with a threat still of 10 year sentences. Hopefully the judge throws those charges out as well.

+3 more 
posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Every once in a while I find a reason to crack a smile.

As a citizen of this God forsaken pathetic excuse for a country I can hold my head up high today as justice has prevailed and the constitution has been respected.

If # like this keeps up, hell who knows, I may actually be a proud American someday.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

I am not happy with the outcome. I bet the judge saw the actions of the FBI agent and the mole were the ones inciting things and did what was necessary to throw out the charges. Oh well, Holder got himself smacked again, that makes up for it a little.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 12:15 AM
link   
One of the things to be considered here is that there is mutual aid agreements between the Michigan Militia, the Ohio Unorganized Militia and the Indiana Militia. Both Michigan and Ohio got word of the raid that was about to happen. Indiana did not and had sent 75-150 members to the area to find out what was going on. For all three groups, when they found out that Hutaree was the target of the raid they let it go. Now there was also a couple in Ohio that were a separate group that had maybe 5 members and had been goofballs on YouTube that called themselves a militia. Again, the big three had no qualms about them being tagged and bagged by the FBI as well.

Given what I know about the big three, it tells me that they wanted these...I'll just say braggart "militias" removed so not as to sully their good names and what real militia groups are about.

All that said, had Indiana not figured it out and engaged the FBI, there could have been some serious blowback due to that mutual aid agreement. One thing to remember about militias is that they generally are law abiding individuals that for a group for the greater good. Typically to assist local law enforcement or even National Guard in times of emergency/natural disaster. You are just as likely to see a militia fight against an insurgency as to be the insurgency. But always remember that is a group that volunteers which means there is no set control over how they will react to a situation. LEO's and NG will be there for keeping the establishment in place or restoring it. Militias can choose sides or remain as a neutral guard to keep them and theirs safe.

+2 more 
posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Ahabstar

I have the same impressions of the militias, especially the Michigan Militia that does indeed offer their manpower to assist NG or whoever in the case of emergencies.

The media has never been fair to militias. The various militias formed during the Revolution were composed largely of farmers and tradesmen (as are today's) with very little training, and training is essential, especially when handling firearms - we're not talking about single-shot muzzle loaders anymore. Then, when the militias do train with their weapons, the media is all over them taking video of target practice and saying, "ZOMG! They're out to take out the government!" when nothing could be further from the truth.

Militias are composed of the most patriotic of Americans, those who are willing to put their lives on the line for their families and our Great Republic. I've never once personally heard a militia member talk about wanting to overthrow the government, only their desire to protect their own homes and those of their neighbors.

They are NOT criminals, despite what the government and their media whores would like you to believe. Of course there will be nutnobs like McVeigh that do the unthinkable, but he did not exemplify the beliefs of the various American Militias in any way.
edit on 3/28/2012 by OldCorp because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   
A good day for freedom. What happens now? Will they sue for wrongful arrest and failure to procure a speedy trial? I certainly hope so. 2 years of incarceration is an interminable amount of time to be locked away on phony charges.
A good day for militias as well. At the time I was thinking the government was counting on their mutual aid agreements with other militias to start a mini-revolt that would allow them to clamp down on militias and gun owners nationwide.
Due to the restraint of the members arrested nothing happened and the government failed to stir up a wider conflict once again showing who the provocateurs really are.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by LIGHTvsDARK

You know, I just met someone saying they're part of the militia in Michigan.

Thing is, I think he just wears the coat because it smells nice.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I'm sure Holder and the MSM will be issuing an apology forthwith.

HA. Don't hold your breath.

This story will never see the light of day on MSM.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   
God was with them.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by azureskys

Well i hope they make an apearance when the feds come to destroy the farmed hogs of another colour than pink.....There will be enforcement starting Mar 31 ......
I hope the people react accordingly.....
As for this judge, id like a few other opinions from her as to what is going on with the FBIs consistent willingness to invent spurious cases of revolt and terrorism and hang them on ordinary unsuspecting people......
Time the great vaunted FBI was taken down, right along side the" in Justice" deptment.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   
#ing ridiculous.

I want to see the receipts tallying up how much this debacle cost.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

Very true. And even the Ohio Highway Patrol calls itself a paramilitary organization. In fact that was one of their questions when I was interviewed when I applied for OHP... If I didn't mind being part of a paramilitary organization. The question was designed to get a reaction. They were not expecting mine though. I replied that I did not have a problem with it as I had been a member of the SCA. Who also trains in fighting and tactics and has ranks. I think that I understood the definitions was a surprise as he paused a second before continuing to explain why OHP is one as well. Then as an aside said I would do well with hand to hand and blunt weapons then.

And to clarify, I ultimately declined to join OHP and became a truck driver instead. Figured it to be safer in the long run.
edit on 28-3-2012 by Ahabstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by LIGHTvsDARK

DETROIT — A federal judge on Tuesday gutted the government’s case against seven members of a Michigan militia, dismissing the most serious charges in an extraordinary defeat for federal authorities who insisted they had captured homegrown rural extremists poised for war.

U.S. District Judge Victoria Roberts said the members’ expressed hatred of law enforcement didn’t amount to a conspiracy to rebel against the government. The FBI had secretly planted an informant and an FBI agent inside the Hutaree militia starting in 2008 to collect hours of anti-government audio and video that became the cornerstone of the case.

I have found a thread posted here awhile back asking if you thought these guys were guilty. Here it is- www.abovetopsecret.com...

Well it seems that the Judge thinks that they are not guilty. He did not even allow it to go to trial, he just threw out the government's case. For those of you that thought they were not guilty, you should be a judge here in the US. For those of you thought the other............shame.

By the way, in jail for two years, I wonder if Holder will be apologizing for this? Maybe Obama can call for a beer summit.

edit on 27-3-2012 by LIGHTvsDARK because: Finally, fixed link.

Last time I checked, you are innocent until proven guilty! Not the other way around. I hope the group gets a good attorney and goes after the fbi! The people have had enough of the fbi trying to create their own boogeymen from honest citizens!

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by LIGHTvsDARK

Thanks for the additional media report. In your article, they state that unregistered guns is a felony charge? Wow, I am kind of glad all my guns fell into the lake that one time I went boating. Close one.

the second amendment doesn't say anything about registration.

it doesn't even say that a felon can't own a gun. the only criteria, as i read it, to rightfully own a gun, is to be a person. it is also part of the bill of rights.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join