It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

United States Bridge Repair Jobs Given to Chinese Firms (ABC News Video)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by desert

Thank you for the link.

While the Chinese firm was the lowest bidder, California taxpayers are now paying extra because the imported steel girders proved to be faulty. As the San Francisco Chronicle has reported, construction of the Bay Bridge has been plagued by delays and cost overruns due to the flawed steel sections imported from China.

And all this could have been avoided using the high grade U.S. steel. Damn, you sure don't want to be taking short-cuts on steel girders on a bridge.

Another case of "you get what you pay for".

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by chapterhouse

buy a hunting rifle w scope and get to work =D

What exactly are you advocating with that statement?

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by ILikeStars

Well, as long as I keep this tourniquet tight, I'll be alright.

Glad you had a good day.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
So with all of California's safety and environmental regulations,

this steel problem just happens to slip by everybody ?

And they just decided to pass on Fed money to get a lower bid ?

Well with Obama giving money away right and left to "green" projects,
and to automakers, and God knows who else and what for,
you would think He would have just upped that extra money the same way
he would flip a quarter to a hat girl.

I wonder if the Unions got cracked in this deal too ?
(like the steel plant workers ?) (is Obama really their "friend" ?)

Welcome to the new "revised Marxist/Corporatist" agenda.

It's an international game.

"ni hao ma", my name is Cha Ching, nice to meet you

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by FugitiveSoul

Fugitive, anybody with such a jerking knee probably could not handle a rifle safely. So sad, so very sad.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by desert

Sad indeed.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by sad_eyed_lady

They claim there are not enough welders

I can tell you that not anyone can weld, and there is a shortage for ironworkers

Bridge building has pretty strict codes for welds...............

I went to college for two years and finished the welding program.......It is not an easy task and many people do not make it...... I know one guy that went to a bridge builder firm and he did'nt pass their weld test. He was a damn good welder too........actually I know several good welders that I went to school with have failed an AWS code weld test......most of them found other welding jobs because welding is in demand.

The assistant teacher took the Chicago Bridge and Iron test. There were 7 plate tests to complet and they must pass a complete visual and destrutive test performed by a CWI (Certified Welding Inspector).......

He is one hell of a welder and he only passed 4 of the plate tests...........It is strict guidelines that you must follow. We are talking where 1/64 of an inch means the difference between having a job and looking for a job.

I can tell you that I will not have a problem getting a job welding, it is a pretty high demand job right now. Just for background reference, I am certified in all position arc welding and flux core welding(includes MIG)........

I suggest that anybody who is down on their luck to get a federal grant and go to school for welding.............

Iron workers make pretty good pay and there is a need for them....

I got into a local union for HVAC and sheetmetal work, I only weld occasionally now, but if needed I can strike up an arc and burn some rod........

Not everyone can do it, but if you are a determined individual, you can do it and enjoy the trade.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 04:04 AM
link   

What is the problem with this? Ok, they may have given shoddy reasoning but it is a global economy and free trade that America has spent generations pushing. Therefore, other global firms can also tender for work in America.

If you have a problem with this then maybe you actually have a problem with free market capitalism?

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 04:11 AM
link   
reply to post by ILikeStars

Maybe its because the president just had a meeting with the chinese and that is his way of giving in to the syria problem

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian

What is the problem with this? Ok, they may have given shoddy reasoning but it is a global economy and free trade that America has spent generations pushing. Therefore, other global firms can also tender for work in America.

If you have a problem with this then maybe you actually have a problem with free market capitalism?

This is a state operation. There are requirements to buy and hire american so long as the cost difference is reasonable.
The state found a way around this..a loophole.

States are not part of the free market capitalism bit..they are there to help the people, not stuff their wallets with fed money and hire cheaply by exploiting loopholes.

The problem is not capitalism, its corruption..and arguably you point still stands though...if you don't support rampant corruption, then you don't support todays idea of capitalism.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join