It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Africa's walking dead: Mystery of horrific 'nodding' disease that turns children into zombies.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   

A mystery disease is turning an increasing number of children in east Africa into zombies. The condition, known by locals as the 'nodding disease', drastically alters children's personalities by making them withdrawn and confused. One of the first symptoms of the illness, affecting children in northern Uganda, Sudan and Tanzania, is that children appear to be falling asleep - their eyes close and head droops, even though they may not be tired.

The condition gets progressively worse and can cause affected children, generally aged between five and 15, to fall and injure themselves Many die by losing consciousness and have horrific accidents, like falling into a cooking fire or drowning

This sounds absolutely horrendous, apparently WHO and CDC are confounded by the disease.
Local people claim the attacks are brought on by "unfamiliar foods" or even changes in the weather!

SOURCE
edit on 27/3/2012 by Argyll because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Argyll

Interesting find S&F

I was hoping for more of the flesh craving, zombie apocalypse type though.

i was about ready to grab my gun and head for the mountains

But seriously what a terrible disease, my heart goes out to the children in east africa, as if they dont already have enough problems over there.

edit on 27-3-2012 by MrRamblinRose because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Baffling Ilness Strikes Africa
www.abovetopsecret.com...

"Nodding Disease"

Mysterious nodding syndrome spreading through Uganda

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Hmm wow that is weird and does sound zombieish

I don't think my mum would have minded much if I had come across the nodding disease a few times as a kid

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Argyll

Did anyone give any thought to the possibility of a vaccine?

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Argyll

Probably a result of western world running after poor Africans with vaccines that are even so unsafe that they are not even legal in the west.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5
reply to post by Argyll

Did anyone give any thought to the possibility of a vaccine?

Exactly my thoughts. After all, you could say these parts where used as testing ground for vaccines that didn't go through intensive trials by so called humanitarian aid
edit on 27-3-2012 by jesiaha because: shpelleings

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Knowing how superstitious Africa is, I hope they don't go blaming and burning "witches"

It'll be interesting to see what cause they come up with. Virus immediately comes to mind, but I think it's a combination of factors like malnutrition and pollution. Regardless, time will tell.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Argyll

it could be a prion like neurodegenerative disease - but that's speculative.

wonder if this is a new form of a mad cow like brain spongiopathy....

the really weird stuff almost always originates in Africa

new topics

top topics

join