It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conservatives, Liberals, and the Issue of Generosity

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   
A while ago there was a story that some study had confirmed that conservatives were more "generous" as a rule than liberals. I do not know how the story was presented, or what controls were used in the study. I also do not understand how the terms were defined. "Conservatives" are a coalition of social and economic conservatives, two VERY different groups that seem to see eye to eye. Liberals could mean socially tolerant college professors or a Democratic voting single mother who opposes gay marriage.

I would suggest that the more liberal one is the more generous one tends to be. However, I would also suggest that the more religious one is the more generous one tends to be. The ideal generous person would be part of the religious left. Conversely, the most stridently suspicious person, who assumes that homeless people are drunks, seem to be secular conservatives in my experience. Since conservatives lean toward religion and liberals lean toward secularism it makes my position difficult to confirm, and probably means that there is a complexity to how both groups define "generosity." It means that there it is a two axis study that should be used and not simply who is liberal or who is conservative.

I think we could all use more generosity. However, we also need our eyes wide open. Give generously, but intelligently.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by EarthEvolves

Conservatives tend to give to charities of their choosing. I donate to the "Guide Dog Foundation for the Blind" and "Puppies Behind Bars"

Liberals want to take others money through taxes and give it to charities of their choosing. I don't know where my money is going to and even if I would agree with how it spent. OBamaCare is a classic example.

But that is just my simplistic take on this issue.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   

It is a scam and the sooner you realize it the better.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by newcovenant

I realized it long ago! Thanks though.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

I think it is complex because, again, the more liberal one is the more generous one is. But, the more religious one is the more generous one tends to be. So, the ideal generous person would be a religious liberal and the most stingy SOB seems to be a some of the secular conservatives I know.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   

There is this story which is interesting. It is from a liberal press but I don't think you would find this TOPIC anywhere else in print as a matter of study. I think it is true and not only is it true - it is obvious.

a new study has confirmed that the richer you are the less compassionate you are Read more: healthland.time.com...

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   

This is a conservative website. Which is why you not only didn't get starred, you didn't get opened. I gave you the flag and I wish I could give you more. As far as I can tell it seems to have fairly conservative points of view from most of the posters but the only real conservative view I can see is anti Obamacare and pro gun. I wish we could get together because I am a liberal. I believe in rights for people, our people, our citizens. I am sure we don't disagree as much as we agree. I am pro gun. I think a big difference between liberal and conservative is birth rights and marriage rights. Conservatives are pro oil and anti worker anti union. I can't do that but we can get together on the guns and I think a whole lot more including generosity. Some of the most hospitable people I have met have been from the south.

edit on 1-4-2012 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by newcovenant

Actually, I believe in the Second Amendment in its original Enlightenment context. The original idea that arms ownership is an individual right actually came from abolitionists.

A lot gets lost when dualisms are created by the same forces operating on both sides.

new topics

top topics

join