It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Would You Do?? Bad Situation

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
A friend of mine is in a real ordeal. He is disabled, and has applied for disability, but it is a slow process, so he has NO money because he lost his job. He has just a few weeks before all the utilities are cut off. His mother passed away and left him her house and property. That is where they are living now.The problem is, it is a major maintance place (5 acres of land).His girlfriend has tried desperately to find work (she worked for a businnes that went belly up). This house is in a dead end town with NO jobs. They need to sell that house fast and they do have a couple of people interested.....but.....they need to have another place to buy to go to, and still have a little money from the house sale to live on until she can find a job and he gets his disability. They have NO money and I don't know what to tell them or what they can do. Anyone have some advice? These are good people who have worked all thier lives....they just don't have any savings because of his health problems. He said they have $10!!! I don't have any advice to give because I have no experience in that area.....anyone?

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by StealthyKat

This is where, if it were me, I would send Obama a letter asking how his plan is helping me and give the details. Then have all the medical bills sent to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, in care of President Obama.

Tough call on what to do. Selling the property seem to be the best thing, especially if they cannot take care of it.
edit on 27-3-2012 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

I hear ya! It's such a mess.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
It would help to know what city they are in as well as which state (and country). That would be a start, because some places have a health department or some other place that deals with people who are 'down on their luck'. I'm thinking of organizations that deal with the homeless and the poor, like a food bank, or a homeless shelter. Even if such places don't have what they need, they might have information on other related groups that could help out.

A local church may be a place to look to as well. If the church is not well off, they might at least know of other resources, and could point them in the right direction.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Local churches usually will help with rent and electrical payments for a couple of months. Or Salvation Army may be able to offer aid as well.

Can they apply for federal housing? Or declare bankruptcy? I don't know the legal issues involved, but I think if you declare bankruptcy the banks have to give you some time.

Best wishes to your friends.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
what state does he live in? do they not also offer unemployment? or are you not in america

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

if he declares bankruptcy they will still turn off the utilities tho

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   

also he lost his job due to his disability? isn't that like...illegal?

sorry for all the posts forgot i could just click edit
edit on 27-3-2012 by Bigfoot12714 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
They are in central Louisiana unfortunately. They will have some money as soon as they sell the house. What the dillema is, how to line up a place to move when they sell the house. In other words, how to make the move..... (they are going to use the money from the sale of the house to buy another cheaper house) He WILL get the disability, it's just pending (he has emphezema) ....and she can find a job if they get to civilization and out of the sticks. So they don't need handouts or anything. The sale of the house will be cash....so they will have money. But the problem is how do you find a place somewhere else when you have no money to go out looking? They want to move to another city where there are jobs. But it has to be in the same state where because of his pending disability. Does anyone have a house for sale in Louisiana that isn't too expensive....like a mobile home or a small house? That's what they need.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Bigfoot12714

No he didn't lose his job BECAUSE of his disability.....he just couldn't do it anymore because of his breathing problems...they didn't fire him. He can barely walk very far without gasping! He was a friend of my dad, and I just want to help with advice, but can't think of a way to help. I don't have extra money to give, and it breaks my heart.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
If anyone knows of a small house or even a mobile home in Louisiana.....please U2U me. That's what they need because they should get decent money from the sale of the house (it's a nice house).....if they could find a less expensive home for sale and buy that, they would have some money to last till his girlfriend gets another job and her 1st paycheck.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Caveat; I'm not LDS (Later Day Saints) I'm episcopal, but the LDS folks I have known have always had open doors, no judgement, and a happy heart when dealing with people that need a hand up, not a hand out.

I know absolutely NO-ONE down south. Sorry. But perhaps they can help. For them, when an oppourtunity arises to help someone, they consider it a blessing.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Cheapest places to stay like that are rentals at trailer parks, Other than camping in the woods, this, and anything else still costs money though. What about under the table type jobs or work? If able to work, maybe that one can even do something like temp agricultural work, etc.

Would probably want to check some legalities here, but a small loan based on the equity of the house may be the way to go...but that may hamper the sale. But, at the time of sale, the loan can be paid off, etc.

A couple years ago or so, when my wife and I were both out of work, and looking for jobs, we did:
1) Odd jobs for cash (everything from acting gigs, cakes, etc.)
2) Mega couponing (takes time, but if not working...)
3) Looked for work every single day

We found jobs, dug our way out, etc.

Hope they find a solution.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Bless their heart. Sounds like they're in a tight bind. You say there are 'NO' jobs. Do you mean that as in ZERO jobs? Is something 'humbling' like even working as a cashier at a gas station an option? Or even put a little add in the paper and offer to do something like clean houses.

I know that isn't very enticing but when you're desperate, you're desperate.

Not sure of the area. If it's a small rural area with a population of 500 and there's truly nothing around, that might not be an option.

If they have only $10 to their name, no family to help them, they don't want handouts, and his disability doesn't kick in, they have to do something. The best thing I can think of would be to take even a menial job or try to do odd jobs around town.

Maybe a really massive garage sale? If they'll be moving (especially to something smaller), they'll mostly be wanting to clean out their stash anyways and get ready to downsize? That could be an option if there truly are no jobs around.

If you can't work, can't sell stuff, can't take charity, and are waiting disability, I don't know what else to do. Keep us posted, though.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Hey SC,

This is what I would do if I were in this situation.

First, list the property in an upscale news paper in the nearest very large city. People of higher income levels like to have property outside the city to "Get away to" as well as fixer uppers. It might sell faster and at a better selling price. When it sells they can begin to look for a new home during escrow in a better job oriented town.

Second, TPTB are very selective when it comes to disability. Everyone is denied the fist time if not the first 3 times. Those that are trying for a free ride will not go far enough in the application process and that's how they are weeded out. Tell them to keep applying over and over, it will go through, but you are right it does take a considerable amount of time.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

It is a VERY small town...a grocery store, gas station, etc.....the kind of place where everyone holds the jobs they have with a deathgrip. She went everywhere...not even a cashier job there.

Like I said, they will have some money shortly from the sale of the house....they just need to find a way to find another house they can buy with the money (chepaer)....In a place where she can find work.... QUICK. They don't need handiouts or anything.....just hard to look for another place somewhere else online. They don't want to waste money at hotels while they look for a place......so I was wondering...does anyone know of anything for sale like a mobile home or small house in an area where there are businesses that she can find work in? Thankyou so much for your reply BTW. The place they buy to move to doesn't HAVE to be in Louisiana. They have no family so it doesn't matter.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Thanks Gaz.....they are in a mess.....I appreciate the reply!

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

Thanks Argata......you're right about the disability. The freeloaders make it hard for those who need it....and this man needs it because of his health....it really makes me mad! Thank you for the excellent advice.....but I don't think they can wait that long. They have 2 buyers that want it,......and because of the dire situation they are in they probably will not get what it's worth....it's a damn shame...

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Yard sale?

Sounds like a tough situation - I really think selling some items that are no longer needed could help. If there aren't enough people in town perhaps try listing things on eBay?

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Totally understandable. I agree that staying in hotels is a waste of money.

Hm... I would still go with the garage sale thing then if jobs are totally non existent. It could help them with some cash while they try to find other living arrangements. With just $10 left to their name, they're going to need to get cash from somewhere and cleaning everything out for a garage sale will give them a double benefit of both getting some quick cash and also clean out their excess stuff for a move.

They surely won't get a place with just $10. lol

Are you close to them? Can they crash with you? (I have a feeling not or else that would have been the first thing you came up with if that was an option. lol).

Good luck, though. Sounds like they'll have to get out of the area ASAP for better living arrangements and job prospects.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join