It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If there was a pill to kill all your sexual desire, would you take it?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Leftist

Interesting you know I do not think I have ever ran into or meet a female that would willingly part with there fleshy desires before, I mean you know seriously. Personally I think your kind of full of it, and you would be making a big mistake if you actually did it fully.

But I sense that you might be to whatever degree dead serious. And I do agree and know how the feelings get in the way of pretty much everything we do and think off. And not only that but they get in the way and are guiding the things we will do or can possibly think of.

But ya messing around and tinkering with pills and cutting wires in mother nature might not be the best route, especially since you can chose to control it, or to dismiss it like you have. but it's embedded into life and this existence. One way or another through one outlet or another it will always be there in one form or another and you will have little choice in it.

But your wrong, even in responding to Qumulys it is clear and obvious that this is just your personal demon you need to deal with, because while Qumulys might have a closer view of what this thing and drive is. He did not transcend anything about it, he is merely dealing with it.

To quote him.

Maybe one day I'll find someone who has no need for sex as well, but I do worry of the frustrations it can cause. Its a very complex issue and deep understanding and honesty is the only way a relationship like that can survive. Sex is an outlet, a reset button of a sort that is almost essential for any relationship to work.

Reset button indeed, dam multi functioning button at that...But then again I know better then that, alas.

It ain't a button. Button is light-years way to primitive a concept, buttons and wires are for primitives clank'y and noisy they are, and take up way to much space. Oh this thing is way worse then that, no button or switch it is, it's a freaking sonic screwdriver and its opening doors left and right.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Leftist
I would. I consider sexuality to be perhaps the biggest time-and-energy waster on planet earth. Imagine how much people could accomplish if their energy was not wasted on such stupid pursuits.

Sexuality is the cause of endless conflicts, sorrow, depression, broken hearts, anger, confusion, and so on. It would be best if humanity eventually learned to remove sexual appetite from the species, through genetic engineering, say, or through pills or other medical means. People would still have children, but they would do so as the result of rational planning, not blind lust.

Does anyone else feel the way I do?
edit on 3/27/2012 by Leftist because: (no reason given)

So that's why you never got laid?

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skywatcher2011

Gee, there have only been fifteen or sixteen comments like this already. What's one more?

I wish people would read the thread first before commenting. That's all.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skywatcher2011

Gee, there have only been fifteen or sixteen comments like this already. What's one more?

I wish people would read the thread first before commenting. That's all.

There is a big difference between good sex and sex for lust. Look into it

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Partygirl

Partygirl you so brainy, and I think you just might of hit the nail on the head, so it seems you have good aim as well.

But ya I would not worry to much about this whole thing that the op proposes, it's trivial. Or your whole relationships thing I would not sweat about it, really I don't need a little voice whispering things in my ear to tell that you wont be having much problems in finding future relationships, or in dealing with them.

Especially since you seem to be like some sort of magnet for them male folks, but I suppose it's like your buddy with the oxymoronic name of silent thunder said, it ain't that hard in doing that if your female. Since you know men is idiots.

Just try not to be so crazy, or pick the douche types...But then again do whatever it does not matter, but whatever you do make sure you write about.

That way I can go...Hmmm! Wow, that's super interesting Partygirl! So what happened next in this tale I heard a million times before?...Creepy I know.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Leftist

i'm going to have to answer your question with a question, "would you take a pill that makes you dumber?"

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Strategy: Getting urges.. rub one out and get on with my life.

There are allot of people that could seriously use a pill like that.
I know allot of guys for whom that is the only reason the exist,.. is to try to get laid and when they do they say the woman is 'all used up' and move on to the next,.. these people need at the very least a reality check, if not a swift kick to the groin.

These guys just see a vagina and a dishwasher... and I know some women that just see a dick and a wallet.

[rant]
People have seriously screwed up priorities, they think they are just fine and think I'm a feckin loser because I never go out purely for the pursuit of getting laid, and think I'm crazy when I go up to a woman at the bar and say "I'll buy you a drink if you can hold a conversation" then when I get slapped I smile and say "That's what I though, thanks for proving me right"... Then I try to have an intelligent conversation with the people i hang out with and they can't even hold a damn thought, makes me sick.
[/rant]

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 02:03 AM
link   
reply to post by galadofwarthethird

You are a pretty perceptive person too, in your own way, although our perspectives are not the same either, I'm guessing.

This thread feels H E A V Y in the sense I'm getting dished out some pretty serious advice here. Which is not really what I expected when I started out. But it is appreciated. Most of it is good advice, actually.

Lot of smart people round here...so thanks to you too.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 02:03 AM
link   
already took it, I got married (used to laugh when people said that, now I sigh and sagely nod my head)...

Sex-drives drive many things in this world.. the desire to be attractive to the opposite sex drives people to be fit & healthy, it's been shown to assist with blood pressure and the health of your cardiovascular system, the same hormones released during sex are also released when you get a "high" from exercise, or winning a grand final footy match, or successing in other hobbys that you find pleasurable. Take away those hormones and you'll end up with a bunch of rather depressed people with no desire at all to ensure the continuation of the species.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 02:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Leftist

Your doin it wrong...

So in short no, I do not feel the same way you do. Though I do feel that some people do some very hurtful, harmful and destructive things because of/for sexual desires. Female here, if it matters.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 02:26 AM
link   
The biggest problem with the theory that it would solve all your problems to not have such a constant and undeniable "itch" is that it will fundamentally change your biology

You cannot stop sexual desire without messing with hormones and chemicals. And when your hormones change, you change: physically, psychologically and emotionally.

Hell, just ask anyone who's ever gone through puberty or had PMS about hormones and their effects on your appearance, behavior and thought process
edit on 28-3-2012 by Hawking because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 03:40 AM
link   

reply to post by Qumulys

Even so, you present your case story in a negative light. I think you should be proud of what you have achieved, inside. Because it represents a transcendence of something illogical that controls us. Just my opinion. And I'm sorry about your accident, too. Best wishes.

You've had me thinking, what I posted was indeed negative, I'll try to be more positive here.

You know what, I do wonder if there was a bit of a seed planted in my case pre-accident. There were times I was in the 'moment' and of course the passion is in control, but I did have times where I was thinking to myself 'eww, there's a funny smell' or 'this is rather unpleasant, what the heck is she doing??'. I'm not sure if those thoughts are normal, but I did have them, only every now and then. Maybe its those small negatives that the road block that's before me now has been amplified into the disgust I feel today?

Either way, 99% of the time, I'd just want the company of someone kind hearted, open, honest, patient, silly sense of humour, a serious love of music/arts, ability to live without sex, and the BIG one... Happy to spend life with a guy who is primarily a Dad. My two girls are both almost teens, I look after them/raised them 100% of the time. In other words, if there is that perfect girl out there somewhere, she would have to have an internal strength of a horse to come into a family that's been a goofy tight knit group of 3.

Trying hard not to be negative, but... You'd be amazed at how quickly girls turn away as soon as they look at the disabled. I know its probably genetics in control, but it does hurt.

PUPPIES! (

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 03:47 AM
link   
Did someone just get caught masturbating?

Kidding aside, I think the answer to your question is "NO!"

The cure is called "self-control". It is one of the things that separates us from animals. Another cure is watching "The Biggest Loser". That works for me.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 03:47 AM
link   
The Ideology of the OP seems to me like an overkill solution to a problem. Its like burning your whole lawn because whatever you do some weed always grow.

Its obvious that anyone who isn't fully comfortable with either their body or themselves for personal reasons will never have a healthy sexual life. In such situations disgust is plainly a defense mechanism, our minds is a self correcting mechanism, therefore it will in time find ways to compensate for problems we feel powerless to fix....when sometime acceptance is the simple anwser. Leftist, you sound like a smart girl, you also seem to take pride in your disgust but like others in this thread I'm not really buying it. I feel you are displaying intellectual arrogance about the issue by believing you are ''above'' the pursuit of sexual pleasure.

Originally posted by Partygirl
You need to make room for your feelings somehow in your life: both the disgust and the attraction. You can't have one, you must have both. And when you really accept that, THEN you are able to take control of yourself : to play down the feelings you dislike , and to emphasize the parts of yourself you want to emphasize. But before you can do this you have to be honest about yourself and what is inside you! It's the hand we've all been dealt in life. A skillful cardplayer is not limited to the first hand she draws in a game of skill-combined-with-chance - but she needs to acknowledge the cards she really holds first, not pretend that every card is an ace! Do you know what I mean?

That is truely well said by Partygirl

edit on 28-3-2012 by jesiaha because: Shpellingz

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 03:54 AM
link   

I would. I consider sexuality to be perhaps the biggest time-and-energy waster on planet earth. Imagine how much people could accomplish if their energy was not wasted on such stupid pursuits.

Sexuality is the cause of endless conflicts, sorrow, depression, broken hearts, anger, confusion, and so on. It would be best if humanity eventually learned to remove sexual appetite from the species, through genetic engineering, say, or through pills or other medical means. People would still have children, but they would do so as the result of rational planning, not blind lust.

Does anyone else feel the way I do?
edit on 3/27/2012 by Leftist because: (no reason given)
Absolutely not. Temperance is all you need, not what you're proposing here which is like a tactical nuclear strike on nature.
Temperance. Most of life's problems if not all of them are because of the ego and human failure to conquer it. When we fail to control ourselves, we're open to being controlled by "them". Programming by society and the media, which is designed to tug on the ego, is what's causing all the pain you describe.
edit on 28/3/12 by AdamsMurmur because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 04:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Qumulys

reply to post by Qumulys

Even so, you present your case story in a negative light. I think you should be proud of what you have achieved, inside. Because it represents a transcendence of something illogical that controls us. Just my opinion. And I'm sorry about your accident, too. Best wishes.

You've had me thinking, what I posted was indeed negative, I'll try to be more positive here.

You know what, I do wonder if there was a bit of a seed planted in my case pre-accident. There were times I was in the 'moment' and of course the passion is in control, but I did have times where I was thinking to myself 'eww, there's a funny smell' or 'this is rather unpleasant, what the heck is she doing??'. I'm not sure if those thoughts are normal, but I did have them, only every now and then. Maybe its those small negatives that the road block that's before me now has been amplified into the disgust I feel today?

Either way, 99% of the time, I'd just want the company of someone kind hearted, open, honest, patient, silly sense of humour, a serious love of music/arts, ability to live without sex, and the BIG one... Happy to spend life with a guy who is primarily a Dad. My two girls are both almost teens, I look after them/raised them 100% of the time. In other words, if there is that perfect girl out there somewhere, she would have to have an internal strength of a horse to come into a family that's been a goofy tight knit group of 3.

Trying hard not to be negative, but... You'd be amazed at how quickly girls turn away as soon as they look at the disabled. I know its probably genetics in control, but it does hurt.

PUPPIES! (

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 04:34 AM
link   
The problem with questions like this that revolve around freeing yourself from the shackles of supposedly pointless emotions, habits, or hobbies is that its all fine and dandy until the light is pointed in your direction.

I'm sure you like others who propose things such as this, have plenty of emotions and interests that others would find equally pointless.Posting on a forum for example could be seen as such as thing as it could be viewed as a time consuming pursuit that gets in the way of one being more productive in their life or more productive for society. Yet you still do it as you rationalize it as being of some importance and more importantly you enjoy it.

Further genetic engineering and medication could cause health problems to arise not to mention the notion of doing this on a mass scale to humans is highly disturbing as it appears you would like to reduce humanity to little more than a hive consciousness with each human as a worker bee. We take away sexuality and desire then what are we going to take away next?

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Removing sexuality would completely alter your personality and social abilities. You would literally be a totally different person entirely.

Are you sure you'd willingly destroy your entire personality?

I can't even fathom such a thing, sexuality is one of the few things that make this world exciting.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 05:46 AM
link   
It is the year 2346 A.D. The human population has declined to mere thousands. The details I can give are limited, but I can say this. It all started here, in this thread. It did... something to our reproductive system. The children that were born, they were monsters! You must not make this pill. I repeat: DO NOT MAKE THIS PILL The horror this thread unleashed on the world, I don't even know how to describe.

Heed my words, or you will be the destruction of us all.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by LordGoofus
already took it, I got married (used to laugh when people said that, now I sigh and sagely nod my head)...

Indeed, OP has obviously never heard of the mystical sexual libido killing properties of wedding cake.

The idea just makes me think of the films Equilibrium and THX 1138 too much. To take away the arousal you also take away the emotion.

Emotion is a complex psychophysiological experience of an individual's state of mind as interacting with biochemical (internal) and environmental (external) influences. In humans, emotion fundamentally involves "physiological arousal, expressive behaviors, and conscious experience."[1] Emotion is associated with mood, temperament, personality, disposition, and motivation. Motivations direct and energize behavior, while emotions provide the affective component to motivation, positive or negative.[

For dangerous sexual predators maybe, anyone else who confesses to be interested in taking such a thing either has biological / social issues or is depressed. I can't speak for the biological / social side but I can understand how depression can cause the libido to seize and shrivel up and as the old saying goes "If you don't use it you lose it", some people never get it back, some don't want it back I do understand.

To take away desire surely you mess with the human emotions fulfilled sexual union can create, and the creativity inspired from desire itself.
Maybe I am just odd, or crass or vulgar, but every creative spark and every deep hunger for knowledge, art, poetry or music I have ever had since puberty has fired my loins, ignited passions real or imagined and I have been carried along through adulthood on a wild ride of every emotion known to man and I am not sorry for it - I embrace it, I am a sexual creature and shall continue to be until either my mind or body packs in.

We already have people who put needles in their face and can't show emotion through vanity. How sad and depressing would life become (and lets put the apparently questionable and objectionable mechanics of sex and natural procreation aside for a moment) - if we never saw a twinkle in another's eye, a flirty hair toss, come to bed eyes and every other awesome little bodily signals we give out to each other under the circumstance. What replaces it? What happens to a personality when it happens?. I can't see there would be much left to laugh, cry and every other emotion in between about. No teenage crush, no adult crush, no nothing but work and productivity for the man (as if we don't already have enough of that), and for what if we no longer respond to the pheromones, emotion and bodily cues each other?

Ever seen a childminder who cares for her own child as well as others? Their little darling gets a look that radiates the room when they do something, another's child may get applause too but the radiance of love isn't there and that child whether they understand it or not is left lacking. It's not the childminders fault, it's just natural that a woman radiates this to one that she has created, grown, gotten to know even before birth - that's how we roll as a species. Obviously not all of us can birth our own, and those that manage to have a child by other means love their child equally, either way, to even think a child should be grown in an artificial womb and raised by the state I'm sure is an abhorrent idea to anyone who is or wishes in the future to become a parent.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join