It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Huffington Post interviews Elaine Pagels on her new book "revelations"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   
I ran in this Huffington Post story earlier today and decided to start a thread so others can be inspired by the piece.

In it, Paul Brandeis Raushenbush interviews Elaine Pagels who just published "Revelation s".

Pagels is Professor of Religion and is known for her decent scholarly works and the very broad adoption of her work. (wikipedia)

For those who still believe that The Book of Revelation is written by the imaginary friend and should be read as a roadmap for the end of the world, spending some time reading this sounds like a good idea.

The first thing to note is that the Book of Revelation has always caused enormous controversy –- even from the time it was written. Some people said a heretic wrote it, and some people said it was by Jesus’ disciple. It was the most contested book in the New Testament. Martin Luther wanted to throw it out because he said there is no Christ in it.

But what really surprised me was that it was not a unique book. There was a whole outpouring of "books of revelation" being written 2,000 years ago. One of my favorites was called the Revelation of Ezra. And Ezra was a Jewish prophet writing at exactly the same time, about the year 90, and writing in anguish about the destruction of Jerusalem by the Romans and asking God: "How do you allow this to happen to your people?" And Ezra also talks about how God will come and judge the world and send his messiah, although Ezra is not a Christian and the messiah will not be Jesus. But there are many other books of revelation that were found with the gnostic gospels.

as my main intention is to link to the interview (and the book), I'll refrain from any debate that attempts to bring in the hand of the god. If you feel you want to carry such nonsense and if that adds to your well-being, that's fine for me. I just don't want to be "convinced".
edit on 27-3-2012 by NeverSleepingEyes because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   
excellent post! i love elaine pagels books. im still reading the article and enjoying.

as a student of religions this info is really important. like she said,john the 'divine' would not like the new testiment!
i try to teach others about the reality of the politics of the time and how the jews actually lived at that time.
i try to explain to christians,doesnt it make more scense that jesus was killed for teaching against roman occupation instead of being the 'son of god'! it just bugs me that people still follow the myth.
imagine if you started a 'church' dedicated to odin, or apollo! people would think you mad!
but the myth of the christ is accepted!
anyway thanx for the post!
peace

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   
God is Real , Im convincing you lol

Thats right , Jews believe their messiah is coming , The son of David ,(descendant of Davids kingly bloodline) he will rebuild the temple in Jerusalem and sit rightfully on the throne , he will takeover the holy land by means of War like David did , Slay the giants of this world ,and bring Glory to the God of Israel as the One true God of Earth , That is the Hebrew Revelation . Yeah many books of Revelation

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by StaceyWilson
God is Real , Im convincing you lol

Thats right , Jews believe their messiah is coming , The son of David ,(descendant of Davids kingly bloodline) he will rebuild the temple in Jerusalem and sit rightfully on the throne , he will takeover the holy land by means of War like David did , Slay the giants of this world ,and bring Glory to the God of Israel as the One true God of Earth , That is the Hebrew Revelation . Yeah many books of Revelation

as i said in my OP: if buying this crap adds to your well-being, please go ahead
i'm not buying it at all

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by StaceyWilson
lol, why you posting crap then lmao , AVENGE TRAYYON !! HOODIE HOODIE HOODIE LMAO

"avenge"? what a great idea!
I'm sure your version of the imaginary friend digs such a strategy as it calls for tolerance and peace
now smell the glove

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by reficul
excellent post! i love elaine pagels books. im still reading the article and enjoying.

as a student of religions this info is really important. like she said,john the 'divine' would not like the new testiment!
i try to teach others about the reality of the politics of the time and how the jews actually lived at that time.
i try to explain to christians,doesnt it make more scense that jesus was killed for teaching against roman occupation instead of being the 'son of god'! it just bugs me that people still follow the myth.
imagine if you started a 'church' dedicated to odin, or apollo! people would think you mad!
but the myth of the christ is accepted!
anyway thanx for the post!
peace

glad to read your reply
all we can do is spread factual information.
as you can see from some of the other "reactions" (that don't address the OP, but who cares), there's still a huge pile of work waiting for us.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   
you forgot that "The Book of Revelation"

had a title face lift
it was once known as "Apocalypse"

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by spoonbender

had a title face lift

thanks for the addition, although I'm not sure this is a correct statement (can you back this up, as I don't have the time to research this myself right now?)
however, i don't think i forgot something as all i did was point at a review of Pagels' book

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by spoonbender

both the same word just different language! to reveal the hidden

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by StaceyWilson

ya and the easter bunny is coming soon,ive already set up the alter and found me a vergin to sacrifice!

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by NeverSleepingEyes

yes indeed friend we do have a lot of work to do. i seem to know more about other peoples religion than they do!
but i love studying it all!
ironically im i guess pagan and worship the earth and life. i have come to the conclusion that the ancients used the gods as a way of understanding their world around them. read the greek myth of arachnid its cool

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by NeverSleepingEyes

Originally posted by spoonbender

had a title face lift

thanks for the addition, although I'm not sure this is a correct statement (can you back this up, as I don't have the time to research this myself right now?)
however, i don't think i forgot something as all i did was point at a review of Pagels' book

Wiki Book of Rev's
Not that Wiki backs anything
but its a start ...You can go further from there if need be.

forgive me please
Pagel forgot to mention

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by spoonbender

tnx for the link.
interesting opening at that wikipage:

The Book of Revelation is the final book of the New Testament. The title came into usage from the first word of the book in Koine Greek: apokalupsis, meaning "unveiling" or "revelation" (the author himself not having provided a title)

so no facelift as you suggested,
synonyms, as the other user suggested.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Funny how this book did not come up as a suggestion on Amazon, considering all the books on Revelation that I look at on that site.
Thanks for the heads up and I will be buying the Kindle version, probably this week.
I can add some comments later on this thread once I read some of the book.
From what I read in about one minute, in the comments section of the book's Amazon page, I think I agree with part of the premise she is basing her book on. My idea is that the book was written by a Zoroastrian person who was affiliated with the Parthians, who were also under attack by the same forces that laid siege to Jerusalem. Then it got picked up by other people who translated it into Greek, while editing it to Christianize it.
NPR interview on Fresh Air
edit on 27-3-2012 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join