It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ostension and 2012

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by GLontra

Look: a very rare phenomenom that only happens once per century "decides" to happen EXACTLY in 2012, the year of the "Mayan hype", and that has "no meaning" at all. Yeah, right, I have no doubt you will think that way. But not me, thanks.

What rare phenomena are you talking about? I made reference to a 1923 event. What are you making reference to?

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by GLontra

This is known as quasi-ostension.

Notice that the record setting temperatures are in a state sized area. The state is on the Canadian border. That is why there are cross border records.

There is a day when all of the long frozen months accumulation of dog poop thaws out. That day I call the day of great stink. I have seen it happen in January to April. Happens at different times on different years.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by hanyak69

Does this apply to all conspiracies...eg.. 911 truthers, JFK assasination, pearl harbor, gulf of tonka, bay of pigs...etc if so then I am ostensioned out.. And does this have anything to do with Joel olstien?

Ostension has 3 forms. The issue is whether or not the 3 forms of ostension are being met.

1. Do people form groups to act out issues associated with these conspiracies?
2. Do people pretend to act out these conspiracies?
3. Do people try to explain things they do not understand using these conspiracies?

I would think that the main way ostension would be seen in conspiracies is the last form, quasi-ostension.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I think that it is people connecting dots and pulling from a bunch of different sources and phenomena to try to explain things. It is called "overreaching" and using coincidence to create a "theory" of something to explain random things....connecting dots of seemingly unrelated material/events.

I do this all the time, It is one reason I come to ATS. But for me personally, it is fun, interesting speculation and conjecture of possibilities, nothing hard, nothing concrete, nothing provable. Probable? Sure, why not....I am open minded to all possibilities, and so I refuse to discredit the 2012 hype out of hand. But I am not digging a fallout basement, stocking up on water or hoarding guns.

Maybe I should! I am sure there are those ATSers who will call me foolish for not preparing, but I am a fatalistic sort of person and so if it turns out these random occurrences are connected to something larger, then I am screwed and I'll most likely die along with everyone else I know and I have made my peace with my "god" so I say que sera sera and continue living my life until the day my maker takes me.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I am not ostenacious, I like the fact that ATS gets news that MSM does not carry or 3 wks later. I like the fact we get our news fast and mostly accurate. If posted inaccurate in isn't long before we figure out the truth. At least "truth" as it is percieved by the majority.....hmmmmm... is the majority ever wrong.....?
Somethings have no answer and that is when it gets fun, just like this thread. In this thread there is no answer it is just fun looking at it from both sides and laughing at us trying not to be ostentacious while all the time being ostentacious... Conundrum anybody???

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Mijamija

Connecting dots of unrelated issues is known as apophenia.

One form is called pareidolia
en.wikipedia.org...

In form or another we all do it because we appear to be "wired" to do it.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   
A great example of ostension was in 1999 and the 2000 doomsday where all of the computors and electronics go haywire. All of the experts were saying you are stupid for believing such nosense but there was still people so worried about that they stockpiled food, water, gas etc... When 2000 arrived, what happened?
Ever since these pseudo-archeologists are making alot of money on the supposed Mayan prophesy which at the end of the day will or will not come true. Either way the odds of survival past 2076 is slim to none so what does it matter when the time is up. It is just fun to play the game.....Ostenaciously speaking with my ostenaciousness.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Ostentacious is a different word with a very different meaning.

Ostension, particularly quasi ostension, is where things are done such as:
1. Using 2012 to explain animal die offs
2. Using 2012 to explain quakes
3. Using 2012 to explain cell phone camera limitations
4. Using 2012 to explain artifacts in satellite images

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   
There is an intelligent message in all crop circles. High mathematics. Things humans are just barely beginning to grasp. Fractals, Fibonacci spirals, Sacred geometry. Somebody has mastered these things and are using them to communicate. Its all in our heads. Yeah... right.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Oannes

There is an intelligent message in all crop circles. High mathematics. Things humans are just barely beginning to grasp. Fractals, Fibonacci spirals, Sacred geometry. Somebody has mastered these things and are using them to communicate. Its all in our heads. Yeah... right.

The fact that this form of installation art is more heady than other forms is good. It shows that the human makers are using their noggins. It also teaches us that complexity can be derived from simple rules.

One of the wrong claims is that ancient man could not have built the wonders they did. Here in crop circles we see great beauty and elegance produced using simple methods.

It is the ability to produce such things using ingenuity that I find appealing.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by stereologist

Is quasi-ostension not ostension but a fake ostension? So if you have a fake ostension then it would not be ostension. So does this mean you are like a step below ostension?
I bet quasi-ostension is a word someone made up just so they could stereo-type everyone on ATS...oh I smell conspiracy.....
Are you from TPTB trying to get us to doubt our pseudo-ostencious views???
Troll Much???

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   

I didn't make up these terms. I simply reported them.

These terms come from or were derived from studies in folklore.

That is what 2012 has become. It has become folklore.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by stereologist

Ostension, particularly quasi ostension, is where things are done such as:
1. Using 2012 to explain animal die offs
2. Using 2012 to explain quakes
3. Using 2012 to explain cell phone camera limitations
4. Using 2012 to explain artifacts in satellite images

While I totally agree with you that there are no basis on which to structure a correlation between evidence that something is happening and 2012, I will disagree that the above mentioned animal die-offs, increase in quakes, volcano activity, weather extremes and abnormal climate phenomena in general is of a normal occurrence and that there's nothing to see here...move along...

2012 doesn't explain anything, I do agree, but neither does science at this point.

When scientists themselves speculate, what are we - the general public - suppose to do?

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   

When scientists themselves speculate, what are we - the general public - suppose to do?

Scientists are always speculating, but they speculate within what is known. Their goal is to push the limits by seeing if the limits are valid. They speculate to see if issues are as thought. They also speculate to see what happens in unknown situations.

After they speculate scientists think up tests for their speculations.

The general public can follow along. That requires education.
The general public can question those espousing out of the ordinary tales. That is called skepticism.
The general public can avoid accepting or rejecting without thinking. Use filters. Don't scoff and don't be a gullible fool.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcalibur254
reply to post by GLontra

What about the massive snowfall we had a few years back? What about in 1927 when the temperature in Spearfish, South Dakota changed from -4F to 45F in the course of two minutes? Or what about later that same day when the temperature dropped from 54F back to -4F in the course of 27 minutes? Why does a heat wave that has broken mean anything more than these other weather anomalies? I'll tell you why. Because you have bought into the cult of 2012 and are now looking for any reason to justify that belief. In other words you are demonstrating ostension.

I don't know what part of "all-time" and "unprecedented" you didn't understand...

Read it again: www.worldweatherpost.com...

"Summer in March: more all-time March temperature records in U.S., Canada"

"(...) is unprecedented so early in the year."

PS.: And I hope you understand 1923 was 89 years ago. So, this kind of thing don't happen every decade...
edit on 27-3-2012 by GLontra because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   

See, I told you someone made up these words, and how do we know his definition is right? It could be that the definition is tainted by time and repetative interpretation, and rewriting. If I wrote a word lets say STIGOMATIC and I write a report that the word means a person who is anti-ego superimposed by the ID ; does it automatically means what I wrote? Or is it only accepted if my peers deem it so. So if the word exists does it mean with all certainty that it exists at all? Or is it just another label designed to suppress the truth of knowledge of the universe?? We should never look out side the normality of society, even if the norm is wrong. If we are deemed outside the norm then by definition we are crazy, cause we ain't normal. Right?

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   

The general public can follow along. That requires education.

Education is irrelevant without experience.

The general public can question those espousing out of the ordinary tales. That is called skepticism.

Questioning is always healthy. Denying everything...not as much. And no longer classifies as skepticism.

The general public can avoid accepting or rejecting without thinking.

I would think that a good percentage do indeed.

Use filters.

Hmmm...whose filters? Bias filters? Opinionated filters? Personal educated guess filters? Common sense filters?

Don't scoff and don't be a gullible fool.

Great suggestion for both sides of the fence.

P.S. Talking of avoiding, you still haven't answered my question on sky sounds. What does Stereologist think they are?

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   

In the words of a computor GURU Bill Gates I quit school cause it was making me stupid. True Science thinks outside the box and is deemed crazy before it is proven then when proven and other scientists are convinced then it is accepted. Just like psuedo-science of evolution, no facts just theories that are accepted as facts. These are the same educated people that came up with ostension. How an educated person can accept evolution as fact is beyond me, and this is just one example of percieved fact and normal to believe even when it shouldn't be. In our society you are looked down on if you don't believe in evolution as fact, which is craziness.
There is science that is accepted, but does that make it correct?
Our schools have become brainwashing facilities designed to keep people from thinking outside the box, know what you are told and do not question it. It is the attitude most Professors I know have! I have a Doctorate, I should know.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   

the odds of survival past 2076 is slim to none

I'd appreciate a link for that claim please.

Thanks.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   

You actually belive that every crop circle was created buy human hands? I've seen massive circles appear in seconds. Nobody there to hoax anything. Strange orbs also seem to play a role in creating these images. Light beings? Edfu texts anyone?
edit on 27-3-2012 by Oannes because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join