It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tennessee Lawmakers Approve Evolution Bill (human cloning and global warming included)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Tennessee lawmakers passed a bill that would encourage classroom debate over evolution, sending it to Gov. Bill Haslam for signature.

The state House of Representatives voted 72-23 on Monday night to concur with Senate Bill 893, which calls on schools to create an environment that helps “students understand, analyze, critique, and review in an objective manner the scientific strengths and scientific weaknesses of existing scientific theories,” including evolution, the chemical origins of life, global warming and human cloning. The bill protects teachers from punishment if they encourage students to debate such topics.

The Family Action Council of Tennessee and other social conservatives have backed the measure, but science organizations have opposed it, saying it will set back the state’s efforts to improve its education standards.

Source

Personally, I think this a great step for Tennessee. Instead of presenting any theory as fact, teachers will now be protected from lawsuits if they encourage their students to question and debate the topics.

When teaching science, we (teachers) focus more on the process than the known outcomes. In this way, our students discover for themselves our basic scientific principals. For example, just last week my students were studying the aerodynamics of flight. We "designed" different aircraft based on our understanding, then had a flying contest. The kids loved it, it was a lot of fun, and my first graders understand the basics of aviation design. So much better than reading it from a book and accepting as fact.

I'd love to hear your thoughts, ATS.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Sounds like a good thing. It'll most probably end up helping reduce ignorance.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

So do you have to teach about creationism as well? Because if I had a child in a school which taught that I agree with the scientists it is holding your child back and I would move my kid outa that school.
We in the UK had science lessons which taught us about evolution and RE classes which taught about creation etc so leave the creation stuff for Religious studies why confuse kid's and mix them together?

I agree with the stuff about asking questions about all things and teaching them how to do that, but is this just a tool for Creationists getting into the science lesson?
edit on 27-3-2012 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

From what I read, I don't think Creationism can be taught as "fact," but if students want to discuss it as an alternative theory, they have the right to do so. With the same scientific rigors that apply to other theories. In other words, students would have the right to debate the issue but teachers aren't required to present either Creationism or Evolution as fact.

I'm more interested in the part about teaching of global warming. I'll have to hunt for my other source, but I also read that Big Oil pushed this bill so that students would be exposed to the idea that global warming is not the result of fossil fuels and pollution, but part of the earths natural cycle. I find that idea very interesting.
edit on 27-3-2012 by smyleegrl because: somehow i deleted half my post

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   

....considering creationism isn't even a scientific theory, it wouldn't hold up to any rigor in a scientific manner.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   

What Iam asking is will Creationism be taught in a science lesson? and would you as a science teacher be happy to teach Creationism as a scientific theory?

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Sounds logical to me.
That's how it should be.
And actually, that's how Science is made.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74

What Iam asking is will Creationism be taught in a science lesson? and would you as a science teacher be happy to teach Creationism as a scientific theory?

Most likely not.

Creationism will be taught in the Theology, or World Religions classes.
You can also discuss it in Philosophy classes.

It won't hold in the Biology class..

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   

No, Creationism would not be taught as a science lesson. At most, from what I read, you could allow a student to debate the issue. Students would be entitled to believe what they wanted to believe..

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74

What Iam asking is will Creationism be taught in a science lesson?

I'll try to answer that. It is my understanding that only material allowed by the Tennessee Department of Education will be taught. Currently creation and intelligent design is not allowed. However opponents of the bill fear that this opens up a "backdoor" to such discussion in the class room. The bill was amended to include the language that directs science teachers to keep the discussions within the state's education framework.

Here are some links if you would like to read further.
User’s Guide to the Tennessee Science Curriculum Framework
The amended bill

OiO

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by tomten

It seems logical to me as well.

I didn't intend for this thread to discuss the evolution debate, sorry I had to use the title of the article. I was more curious about how folks would feel about the climate debate. I

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by OneisOne

Thank you for the additional sources. Star for you.

I'm not a Tennessee teacher, so I don't have the most up to date info on the curriculum. I came across the article in an email from a Tennessee friend and thought it interesting.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by outwired

....considering creationism isn't even a scientific theory, it wouldn't hold up to any rigor in a scientific manner.

Which is exactly the point.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Ah thats Ok then Iam all for science teachers to try and teach scientific theory and for them to teach them how to question them.
Yes the title got me

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   

So sorry about that. It was the title of the article and I had to quote it. Also, I don't think I explained myself very well.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Its all good

But why did the OA have that title? having skimmed over the new law (thanks for the links above) it doesn't mention evolution.
Maybe they just want people to think its to do with evolution and creationism.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   

That confuses me as well. Honestly, creationism versus evolution is not a new topic in schools, and we've been doing it just fine.

Far more interesting to me was the mention about climate denialism. Is this a way for Big Oil to claim our dependency on oil is not endangering the climate? I know the research on climate change is very hotly debated, but there's something about any corporation influencing a curriculum that galls me just a bit.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
I've found a better source that speaks to the climate debate. I will post it in a new thread so as not to confuse folks with creationism.

Mods, please close this thread if necessary.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   

I agree with you that the global warming part of the bill is more interesting. Unfortunately for Tennesseans any time the name of our state appears in a sentence with the word evolution people get reactive because of our history with the Scopes trial. (for those unfamiliar with that piece of history... "The Monkey Trial")

If you do find the article on the role of big oil, please post it!! Being our governor is all tied up in Pilot Corp, that would be interesting. (For those that don't know TN's governor's family owns Pilot Corporation)

OiO

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by OneisOne

New Thread with a Better Title here: New thread

Happy Reading

top topics

<<   2 >>

join