It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Joined yesterday, Banned today.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   
So i was commenting in some threads, and I noticed a member posting directly after me in one thread. An hour later I go back to comment in the thread again, and this member was banned! Wow.

Then i checked out the members profile, and indeed, banned. I noticed this member joined just yesterday, had maybe 10 posts and got banned today.

Now, what is the point of this? Who do this? For what reason?
I find it rather childish and immature, to come onto a site, just to get banned within a day. I don't know what the member did wrong, but obviously he/she did.

It just really grinds my nuts, to see this. Have people got nothing better to do, than go to sites, register, talk a bunch of dung, and then get banned, probably reveling in it? How bored must such a person be?

BAhh, thats it.

vvv

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Some people, for whatever reason, do join with the express purpose of throwing crap bombs from the get-go. I'm glad the ATS staff keeps on top of the blatant T&C violators. Sometimes the newbie you see banned in one day, is a previous member who was recently banned. They start a new membership to jump in and *finish business*.

Pretty juvenile IMHO.....

Des

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

I don't think it's always a case of people looking to go to a site and get banned on purpose to be honest. I think on most occasions where ATS is involved the new member here isn't exactly used to such a civil environment. I mean take GLP or even youtube comments for example. Such venues where people can express opinions aren't always moderated or when they are moderated it's extremely loose thus being a flat out jerk to other people is almost seen as the norm - As sad and unfortunate as that is to type out.

For those just joining ATS they may not exactly be aware that here, you treat someone like a, well, that.. a "someone", not a "something" as they may be used to elsewhere. It's a truly sad state of events where the norm is treating someone else like a piece of dirt but hey, thankfully it's not everywhere and thankfully those who do act like that here aren't around for much longer. That being so though I imagine that's not always going to be why someone was banned. I imagine, since ATS is such a large and popular site, that some are here just to promote a site/forum of their own. I've seen people do that quite a few times here now and they're usually out of here pretty quickly.

But yeah, people can be banned for any other reason I guess. You can't ever be 100% sure why someone was removed unless you ask the staff about it I imagine.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 07:30 AM
link   
If they just joined and had 10 posts, then they may have been spamming posts to get to start a thread, ...who knows, you got a link to post(s) or username?

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   
I seen it too,no big deal...try being switched over to old wives tales on a thread that meant a lot to nobody:

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 07:38 AM
link   

I agree but.............

at the same time, i am very intrigued. Getting banned after 10 posts takes some serious effort - the Mods would have warned the user but i am thinking brand new members must get a little bit of slack until they get themselves banned, just whilst they are getting used to the site.

Who was it? I want to see what got them banned!

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 07:39 AM
link   

For those just joining ATS they may not exactly be aware that here, you treat someone like a, well, that..
reply to post by Rising Against

The T and C';s are rather prominent, how hard can it be for someone to miss it? They have no exscuse really, be they new or not.

Like another member stated, many "sockpuppets" also seem to pop up, which might also lead to these type of situations.

vvv

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Who was it? I want to see what got them banned!
reply to post by Flavian

I am not sure if i am allowed to name the member?

I think that is a violation of the T and C's.

vvv

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 07:44 AM
link   
All I can say, is that the member had a couple of "Off topic" labels slapped on, and a "Manners and Decorum" label. Must have said something really offensive.

vvv

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   
holy cow! banned after 10 posts? thats extreme. ive been slapped on the wrist on more than a few occasions by the mods,but i like to think i havent come close to getting banned! i get passionate at times,but its never my intention to hurt or insult anyone. this person must have went way overboard and really fast!

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Aah, good point, nearly got us both in trouble then. Maybe the poster was a regularly banned member - Mods may have twigged whilst reading replies.

There does seem to be some people who are only interested in insults. Totally pointless really but karma is a bummer as they will find out.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 07:55 AM
link   

The T and C';s are rather prominent, how hard can it be for someone to miss it?

Well I agree that there's no excuses.. but in fairness, who ever reads the terms and conditions of anything at first? I'd hazard a guess and say very, very few do.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rising Against

The T and C';s are rather prominent, how hard can it be for someone to miss it?

Well I agree that there's no excuses.. but in fairness, who ever reads the terms and conditions of anything at first? I'd hazard a guess and say very, very few do.

Of course RA, and i always respect your opinion.
Merely gracing my rant here with your presence has added some credibility to it all.

You are correct though, not many read it indeed. However, the fact is, it is there for all to see, and using your newbie status as an exscuse, just won't cut it.

vvv

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 08:04 AM
link   
I have read a lot of posts on this site and I find that some people are "trigger happy" for insulting others. I don't post ofter myself as you can all see but being banned after 10.....wow he/she's good@!!!

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   
To be fair not all users get a Mod welcome with the rules and stuff in their Intro post. I know I didn't so I had to pick it up along the way. By nature I'm a fairly easy going person and when I make an error I try to learn from it. I get the impression that some users come here with a definite axe to grind and many consume too much alcohol while posting. Something I have been guilty of once. I apologised to the person/thread in question (NASA topic no less!), adjusted my habits (I rarely drink too much, honestly!) and moved on.

Others though seem to make an ATS career from humourous comments, one liners and generally disruptive behaviour that adds little to the discussion at hand. I guess ATS is a reflection of life and people in general. I won't say that everything I post here is a gem but I do try to add pertinent views on subjects and where necessary dispute the accepted ideas of various topics. Personal hates of mine are animal cruelty/testing, genetic engineering and...a few other things. On these subjects I can be stubborn and uncompromising but it is with the best of intentions and usually backed up by pertinent facts.

I think this is why ATS has a 20 post limit for starting your own threads.
Mods also learn from past experiences I would guess. Imagine this place without them, it would end up making youtube look like a very nice and friendly place indeed.
Maybe the 10 post and banned types got their 15 minutes of ATS fame though.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Whatever the moderators reasons. I feel this is what keeps this site as good as it is. I've been T&Ced a couple of times. My initial reaction was WHAT! followed by a short period of feeling picked on. Then, I get over it and in retrospect realize that my "brilliant insight" was not that brilliant after all

Some people just can't conduct themselves with civiility or restraint. (I can't help thinking of the loud mouth drunkard that gets thrown out of any public place, when it comes to this sort.)
*That image makes me laugh a little

So they are given the opportunity to try their "style" somewhere else.
I like that.
Thank you all once again for allowing me to cyberbabble and feel I'm part of the solution, or at least not part of the problem.

I look forward to debating and babbling with you all for many forums to come!
edit on 27-3-2012 by grubblesnert because: tyical reason, Spelling!

edit on 27-3-2012 by grubblesnert because: you know .......

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by grubblesnert

Agreed, and with the added benefit that at least the Mods are open to discussion if you contact them - i have also done this having had something removed, all fuming and indignant, only to find, after discussion, that the Mods were totally correct and i was very wrong.

Still, as the member was banned and it was after 10 posts, lets have some Mod openness - who was it and what did they do?
(worth a try!).

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Sometimes people are banned and then come back under different names. But their IP number is the same so once they start posting, the mods notice the IP number and know it's the banned person so they ban the new account. Could be what happened .... dunno.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

I see your point.
It may be a privacy issue or a "case load" thing. It would be interesting to know how many issues such as this are handled daily and how many modrators are dedicated full time to handling the problems that crop up. I always just assumed that moderation of this site was more or less a voluntary function. But, I base that assumption on no data or facts. Just my "brilliant"(there's that word again!) powers of deduction.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   
People get banned for a lot of reasons, a lot of them have been stated in this thread.

If someone has ten posts and you see them banned after a day, it is usually one of a few things...

Some one here to spam, whether its a another website or selling stuff or whatnot.

A previous member that has come back and picked up where they left off

Or someone that has shown, in there few posts, that they aren't going to be a good fit for ATS.

Usually post bans happen first and the results of those usually decide what happens. Being civil and saying I didn't know will usually get them back and posting. Being rude, ignorant and just down right nasty will get them banned. New members will get the benefit of the doubt unless they are truly here only for disruption.

edit on 27-3-2012 by GAOTU789 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join