It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fabrice Muamba: Racist Twitter user jailed for 56 days (Right or Wrong)

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

They're on youtube in full. I won't link to them due to this sites T&C

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
reply to post by Salamandy

Wow what if that person was an orphan? are you saying that the people who bully people into suicide should not be punished?
Shame on you.

Absolutely, there punishment will be their conscience when/if they ever see the light that bullying is wrong.

Suicide is no one elses doing except for the person who did it. Everyone kid has problems, most know how to deal with them without using the selfish act of suicide.

Doesnt mean suicide is not a terrible tragedy, but lets blame who is at fault and leave the law out of it.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by judus
Here is something for the mix.

A friend of mine was attacked by a group from another ethnic race in his home city really bad, nearly killed him.

He now has a racial hate for this culture even though I have explained stereotyping and the effects of it too him.

He is now a racist towards this ethnic group by circumstance.

Should my friend be locked up for racial hate towards this culture ?

Only if he acts on it? Racially assaults or abuses people... verbally or otherwise.

The law is pretty clear.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   

He is very verbal about it and would act on it given half a chance.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Just another reason not to drink and tweet

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by judus

So if he does something like go on the internet and starts racially abusing people and someone reports it in the letter of UK law he will be done.
If you think he is going to do something like this you better warn him about the law he is going to break.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by khimbar

They're on youtube in full. I won't link to them due to this sites T&C

Yeah just looked...

Well I read worse comments than that every day on youtube... in their comments section.
Seriously, there is some truly vile stuff in the YT comments section.

Hmmmm It is bad.

And hje deserves what he gets... but as freeborn said, they should be like this with everyone, not just single out this guy because the Muamba thing is "current" and "trending"

Kinda sad really.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
reply to post by boymonkey74

Some people think that only violence hurts, that words can merely be shrugged off and can do no harm.

These people do not "Get it" unfortunately and it cannot be explained to them.

One of the basic skills we learn when we are younger is to learn how to ignore bullys. By the time you reach adulthood, yes you should be able to shrug off any words that might be offensive to you. Im not saying it might not make you feel all hot and bitter for a while, but the law should not be punishing bully and in turn making freedom of speech a questionable idea with limits.

Now, a physical attack can be permanent and the line should be drawn at physicality in order to be as fair as possible to the rest of civilization and to protect freedom of speech.
edit on 27-3-2012 by Salamandy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by judus

He is very verbal about it and would act on it given half a chance.

Well as I said, if he does something then yes.
If he beats someone up while racially abusing them... if he distributes racially offensive material, if he abuses some Asian shop worker or something.... then yes, he'll face the the law I'm sure.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Yes you was taught that and that's all very good but some people are more sensitive then you or I and abuse is wrong either physical or mental and mental abuse is much worse and can have longer lasting scars than physical.
I worked with people who are mentally ill because of the mental abuse they tried to endure as a child, I saw grown men cry like a baby because they remember the mental torture they endured.
We are going to have a new generation of people in mental health homes because of cyber bullying in the near future.
Just because you are strong mentally doesn't mean everyone else is.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Wrong if that person was not washing and it was deemed that he/she was harming themselves they can be detained by the mental health act for assessment.

You are absolutely wrong. No one is going to be detained because they dont shower. Are you living in the USA?

How about this...

People who build nuclear towers. They are offensive to a lot of people. They are an eye sore and are unnatural and the possibility of a meltdown is a scary thought with deadly consequences . Should we lock up the person who built these offensive towers? How about the people who argue with their written word and by public speaking for more nuclear facilities. I'm really offended by it as are MANY people. Why aren't they brought up on some sort of charges?

edit on 27-3-2012 by Salamandy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Salamandy
By the time you reach adulthood, yes you should be able to shrug off any words that might be offensive to you.

Not really, it's the absolute opposite.
You fully understand the gravity and meaning of what's being said as an adult...

A beating you can shrug off, a bust lip, a bruise... these heal, for some people, the remarks and names and words that have scarred them never go away.

I myself am not too fussed by anything said to me to be honest, really couldn't give a crap.

But I'm not everyone and just because it doesn't bother me doesn't mean everyone is like that.

I can't decide for other people.

Millions kill themselves over words and ideas the world over.

People lose families and lose friends over words and insults all the time.

When you're an adult, you understand this.

Only a child would think names/words have no effect on people.

Im not saying it might not make you feel all hot and bitter for a while, but the law should not be punishing bully and in turn making freedom of speech a questionable idea with limits.

Free speech stops when hate speech starts.

Simple really.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   

No It does not.
edit on 27-3-2012 by TruthWizard because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   

You are incorrect, at least in my country (USA). Free speech covers even the guy who spouts off about how he hates (insert racial epitath). Sure the buffoon is making people angry. This is where the adult can just ignore him and the babie adults go to the courts in a fruitless attempt to try and make themselves feel better

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Going way OT and I say sorry to the OP.

But if a person doesn't shower and they are ill because of it and refuse to shower they can be detained for 72 hours to access their mental health.
I have seen this as a reason to detain someone for that period (he was very mentally ill)
Oh and Iam in the UK

Oh and this guy had not showered nor washed himself for 12 months and had scabies, ticks, fleas etc if he was left he would have killed himself thru blood poisoning and he was a health hazard to others.
edit on 27-3-2012 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by TruthWizard

No It does not.

Ill second that... NO IT DOES NOT.

I think we are speaking from different countries because in the US, we take the good with the bad in order to keep the cherished idea of free speech alive.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Simple really.

Then it isn't free speech, it's just speech.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Going way OT and I say sorry to the OP.

But if a person doesn't shower and they are ill because of it and refuse to shower they can be detained for 72 hours to access their mental health.
I have seen this as a reason to detain someone for that period (he was very mentally ill)
Oh and Iam in the UK.

OK maybe in some circumstances you are correct (and I dont know the laws on free speech in the UK). But even in your example, the non showerer was never brought up on criminal charges. That is the point in all of this.

It is WRONG to bring someone up on CRIMINAL charges based on what they have written or spoken. It spits in the face of mature adults who enjoy their own free speech and have developed the ability to shrug off verbal abusers.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Yes you was taught that and that's all very good but some people are more sensitive then you or I and abuse is wrong either physical or mental and mental abuse is much worse and can have longer lasting scars than physical.
I worked with people who are mentally ill because of the mental abuse they tried to endure as a child, I saw grown men cry like a baby because they remember the mental torture they endured.
We are going to have a new generation of people in mental health homes because of cyber bullying in the near future.
Just because you are strong mentally doesn't mean everyone else is.

I dont see myself able to deflect verbal assaults any easier than the next guy. Regardless, the law has no place intervening and creating crimes where they don't exist.

My eyes however are extremely sensitive to the sun. Should I make an attempt to force the lawmakers to block out the sun on really bright days so that I might be comfortable for an extra few hours on sunny days while the rest of the world might want to enjoy it?

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Salamandy

Originally posted by TruthWizard

No It does not.

Ill second that... NO IT DOES NOT.

I think we are speaking from different countries because in the US, we take the good with the bad in order to keep the cherished idea of free speech alive.

But you still have banned books in the past so don't tell me you have freedom of speech or the written word.
edit on 27-3-2012 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join