It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fabrice Muamba: Racist Twitter user jailed for 56 days (Right or Wrong)

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Hate crime prosecutions reach record high

A record number of people were prosecuted for racially and religiously-motivated hate crimes in England and Wales last year.

Some 13,276 people came before the courts for such crimes in 2010-11. The Crown Prosecution Service said many had involved assaults or verbal abuse.

Of the cases that concluded last year, more than 80% resulted in convictions.

In all, the CPS brought 15,284 hate crime prosecutions, also including cases where people were apparently targeted based on sexuality or disability, or for being transsexual or transgender.

BBC

Doesn't the UK's Crown Prosecution Service just love it's hate crimes.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Hate crime laws extended

People who murder disabled or transgender people in hate crime attacks will face life sentences with a starting point of 30 years, Justice Secretary Kenneth Clarke announced today.

The Ministry of Justice plans to amend the Criminal Justice Act 2003 so that murders motivated by hatred or hostility towards disabled or transgender victims will have the same starting point as for murders aggravated by race, religion and sexual orientation. This will double the current starting point for disability and transgender hate crime murders.

The Act will also be updated so that where any offence is shown to be motivated by hostility towards the victim on the grounds of transgender, as well as race, religion, sexual orientation, and disability, sentences must be made more severe. This will mean all five monitored strands of hate crime will be reflected equally in these provisions.

Mr Clarke said:

'Hate crimes are abhorrent, they leave sections of society living in fear and at risk of unprovoked violence. The courts already treat all hate crime seriously and aggravate sentences accordingly. These proposals make clear offenders should be in no doubt that they face a more severe sentence for these unacceptable crimes.'

www.justice.gov.uk...

Is there a big problem with people murdering disabled people or transexuals becuase they are disabled or transexual in the UK?

I haven't noticed.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Jesus Christ what is wrong with you people?! It's called the 1st amendment! He can say anything he wants to, he can call the president an asshole and be scot free, he can even make a racial slur. This is crazy talk, there are people saying he should be jailed in this thread. YOU people are the perfect example why this country will fall to tyranny! Keep voting for Obama! Keep voting for removing your rights!

Sorry for the rant, but you people do not understand even if he says the most racist thing, he can not by law be jailed! This is insane! All of you people are insane!

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by judus

I should imagine what this lowlife said was uterly disgusting and vile to say the least. But come on seriously fifty odd days in prison for saying words. Maybee it would be justified if they had the death penalty for murder and rape pedos and such here in the uk but we dont, far from it in fact. And while we are on the subject of vile hatred what about the poppy burners who recieved £50 fines and police protection a while back something is very wrong very wrong indeed.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kang69
Jesus Christ what is wrong with you people?! It's called the 1st amendment! He can say anything he wants to, he can call the president an asshole and be scot free, he can even make a racial slur. This is crazy talk, there are people saying he should be jailed in this thread. YOU people are the perfect example why this country will fall to tyranny! Keep voting for Obama! Keep voting for removing your rights!

Sorry for the rant, but you people do not understand even if he says the most racist thing, he can not by law be jailed! This is insane! All of you people are insane!

If you had read anything in the thread you would have guessed he is in the UK and the 1st amendment means nothing here, we have laws to protect people against hate speech.

Did you just read the title or do you assume anything on this website is to do with the USA only?

edit on 28-3-2012 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
The way I see it, is Twitter (and Facebook) are public domains. So it's the same as standing in the street and shouting racism.

ALS

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rising Against

Should this man go to jail for racial comments he made on twitter ?

My question in reply... Why not?

A young 23 year old athlete collapsed during a game and actually died for around 2 hours after a cardiac arrest. He somehow was brought back to life and is still struggling to stay alive to this day. During all of this some moron decides to use twitter and abuse him racially.. Why on earth should the abuser not face punishment for his idiotic behavior? Racism is racism, no matter where you do it and it's always wrong and should always face punishment, in my opinion.

It doesn't matter if he's on the streets shouting his nonsense or in the comfort of his bedroom.. he should grow up, learn to live in this century and stop saying stupid stuff about another human being simply because of their skin colour. Or anything else like that for the record. This is 2012 for goodness sake, we should be moving past all that crap already.

This man was jailed for his racism.. I say good. Well done to those responsible for jailing him.

Just my opinion of course and I'm sure I'll get flamed but honestly, I don't see why these kind of questions continue to come up. Why should someone be allowed to say something on the internet where what they're saying is going to reach many people and yet not be allowed to say the same thing on the street where it's also going to reach people? It doesn't make sense to me.
edit on 27-3-2012 by Rising Against because: (no reason given)

well what if i take offense to your hatred of racism? should you be locked up? it is your god given right to hate whatever you like in this earth, regardless of how sorry your hatred may be.

if we lock up people for spewing hate, where do we draw the line? plenty of people who live here in america post that that they hate america. should they be locked up for it? if somebody puts hate into action (say, a car bombing or church shooting) then yes lock them up. but words should never be an arrestable offense. ridiculous.

btw, JFK would absolutely be AGAINST this. brilliant way to try and show how much of a "free thinker" you are tho. star for you

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by ALOSTSOUL
The way I see it, is Twitter (and Facebook) are public domains. So it's the same as standing in the street and shouting racism.

The entire Internet is public domain.

I think it's more like whispering racism to the people stood next next to you in a crowd of 500 million.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Actually Freedom of Speech is Freedom to hate. That is why we left “Great Britain” and started our own country. You in the UK are not free and do not even know it.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by MissingRonnieR

Please you have fallen for the illusion of freedom, like I have said the Governments of both our nations have stripped freedoms away since 9/11. So going on that "we are more free than the Britons" is just nonsense..do you want examples? just read ATS and you will find many instances of how controlled and how we are all slaves.
Your only free when you vote.

Does anyone not consider the people who the hate speech is targeted against? We do in the UK and thats why we have laws to stop it.
edit on 28-3-2012 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by sitchin
reply to post by judus

why you asking me..i don't make the laws

it is what it is ....only advice i can can offer is choose your words very carefully when responding in social media sites

what you say in private is your business

thanks for the input

If there was a LAW that stated you couldn't wear clothes...would you be definding it by saying "hey i don't make the laws I just obey them"?? Something tells me you wouldn't...

To suggest its "out of your hands" and default to putting the responsibility of such asinine laws on the "judges and courts" is pretty cowardly...

If you believe in the law, agree with it, stand by it as if you created it...don't backpeddle and drop the nonsense in someone elses hands when they show the backwards logic for what it is.

The law is ridiculous plain and simple...its about as ridiculous as you all deciding to outlaw personal gun ownership...guess the US will have to bail europes collective arses out again if your government goes rogue...you won't have a leg to stand on or a chance in hell of defending yourself...Europe is disillusioned if they honestly think that illegalizing free speach and ridding themselves of guns makes them somehow "evolved" or "enlightened"...really it just makes you serfs...yet again...

easy to incarcerate and easy to control.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   
the captain of my club chelsea john terry is up for th same charge i wonder if he spends 56 days in jail if found guilty............ i think nt double standards!!

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Luke2089

Seeing that it has not gone to court yet he is innocent until proven guilty...but when they do find him guilty
(come on we all saw what he said) I hope and expect that they will make an example outa him.
Kids look up to him and he trys to make out he is such a decent man when in fact we all know what kind of man he is.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

i agree there make an example. i idiolised him for a lng time if found guilty i belive chelsea shuld sack him bt hes dne the same thing bein racist bt hes was worse in a public place in front of at least 10,000 ppl n millions mre watchin on tv will he go to jail no he will get the "approiate" £5000 fine bt wont spend any time in jail like this man im nt defendin this man at all its jus heres two cases of racism n terry will nt get sent to jail if found guilty he will get a fine i support chelsea n i am black im jus pointin out one man goes to jail for spoutin racist garbage n one man will not cos hes famous terry will be found guilty because we have all seen the videos bt he wnt go to jail so y shuld this person? o n terry has previous lots of it specially racism(who members wat him n lampard did after 911 to an american man) .so if any of these shuld b jailed it shuld b him bt theres no way they will jail a former england captain for racism!!! they set a precedent with this young man will they do the right n honourable thing if terrys found guilty hell no!! im jus sayin for a racist drunk post u shuld b fined a given community service i no it was sensitive bt the only reason hes gone to jail is cos of all the problems with had in the last year with racism in our society!! this boys payin for sme1 else crime he was harsh n out of order bt hes young n made a mistake shuld u go to jail 4 makin mistake?
edit on 28-3-2012 by Luke2089 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Wow, it's scary that you can be thrown in jail for speech...

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Whoa I just had a 1984 Moment Hate Crimes to Thought Crimes !

The Dream Police !! ohhhh NO!!!!

Read THE Lyrics ! ATS very 1984ish and Phillip K Dicks === Minority Report

The Dream Police Cheap Trick lyrics onscreen

edit on 29-3-2012 by Wolfenz because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
Does anyone not consider the people who the hate speech is targeted against? We do in the UK and thats why we have laws to stop it.

You don't speak for all of the UK. Some of us understand that 'hate speech' laws are part of the control agenda and that those supporting them are the unwitting servants of tyranny. The UK was not always like this - we just started the path to slavery earlier than America.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 04:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Cythraul

Ok then where were you when the EU brought in the mandates about hate speech in 2003? If you don't like our law do something about it...or just leave.
It is our law deal with it or try and get an american constitution type thing in place.
You can bleat all you like on this site saying it's not right but that isn't going to change anything...do something about it.
Oh and America? look into their history and you will see that they have censored as much as we have.
True free speech does not exist.

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

Good reading above

edit on 29-3-2012 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-3-2012 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 05:10 AM
link   
at the end of the day its the LAW
its not about wether you agree with it or not the law says you shall stick to certain criteria regarding such things

do you have to like it?no you dont
do you have 2 abide by that law? yes you do

break that law and deal with watever punishment you get regardless of if person (A) commited a similar offence and got less of a sentence

as i said in a previous post maybe the uk should go back to the days of " if your not white bugger off back home"

then you folks could say what racial terms to your own kind and no offence would be taken

i get the feeling the supporters of this "i want to and will say what i want to whoever"
have never been faced with blatant racism on a daily basis

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 05:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
Ok then where were you when the EU brought in the mandates about hate speech in 2003?

I was here like you and everyone else, believing that we had true Democracy in Britain. I've since woken up. Do something about it? Like what? It is not possible to win their game when they make the rules - Democracy is an illusion. You'll say I can have a say by electing those that speak for me. Well I've got news for you - there is no party that speaks for the disillusioned libertarian patriots of England and if there was, they'd be stopped dead in their tracks by the LibLabCon regime and their media puppets. Unfortunately, they've left us only one option.

I still find it surprising when ATS members believe that change can be brought about through the ballot box.

edit on 29/3/2012 by Cythraul because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15 >>

join