It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fabrice Muamba: Racist Twitter user jailed for 56 days (Right or Wrong)

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cythraul
reply to post by something wicked

You're the one who says the State should have the right to police thoughts and words. Thus it makes you look very stupid accusing me of being a fascist, or seeming to presume my age.

Didn't presume your age at all, I implied an age difference, I'm fairly sure I'm older than you and can remember more of the chaos when the NF was openly using such language and the ensuing riots.

I really couldn't care less what your thoughts are, they are in your head and I hope they are happy there. As for your words, you will find that there are many laws that cover those - libel and slander have been with us for centuries through to ones where verbal agression based on race, gender, colour and creed are classed as being open to be classed as hate crime. Glad you would rather they weren't, oh, and glad you think me a fascist when you are all for racial verbal abuse..... hmmm, have you got that the right way around?
edit on 28-3-2012 by something wicked because: typo

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Bunch of garbage in this thread. Yes I understand this isn't in the US, but still...you start to allow governments to dictate what you can and can't say, no matter how many people are disgusted by it, then you might as well allow the government to dictate what you can and can't think. Why?

If we as a society dislike a certain idea enough to jail someone over vocalizing it, why don't we just save a step and jail them for even thinking it in the first place?

All this did is drew attention to that guy...which by the way is exactly what he wanted in the first place.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
WRONG WRONG WRONG...going to jail for comments......

This word is run by complete morons and I hope they all are taken care of one day.

Racism is perfectly NATURAL.....we all dislike people for some reason, whether it be Muslims, criminals, white people, yellow people, for whatever reason we as humans are allowed to hate who we like and say it.

Going to jail for tweeting some bs comments......pathetic.

Its like the governments are trying to come up with as many rules that will eventually land everyone one some jail time and a criminal record.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
i know when i first came to this country and started school many many moons ago it was perfectly acceptable and not frowned on to have my class mates call me "chinky or slitty eye" etc etc
luckily times have changed and im more than sure if a teacher or pupil now said them very same words to a student there would be serious comebacks

was i offended back then while being called these names yes i was
was it seen as being out of order or a problem name calling somebody for there origin or language no
now it is
luckily times have changed and i for one are glad people cant just run around holing people into racial stereotypes

the only thing this story shows it that racism even in this century still flourishes in the minds of idiots who think its acceptable to say what they want to whom they want

hopefully the person in question in this news story will use his time inside to broaden his cultural horizons
one can only hope
edit on 28-3-2012 by YipMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaptainIraq

All this did is drew attention to that guy...which by the way is exactly what he wanted in the first place.

but see THIS IS A GOOD THING!!! Racists need more attention...they need to be headlined so everyone everywhere knows how to treat them whenever they seem them. If the racists knew they were going to be outed to the entire social world, and that had social consequences maybe they would think twice or change their views...

We push racism into a social outcast position by identifying them and spreading the word...Real racism loves to be hidden, this is why the KKK had to wear their bed-sheets...socially there were consequences for such beliefs they didn't want, they couldn't continue to enjoy society and be a known racist...they had to then create their "own" society...and once they as a society did one illegal thing the game would be over as law enforcement would have reason to arrest them all RICO style.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sly1one

but see THIS IS A GOOD THING!!! Racists need more attention...they need to be headlined so everyone everywhere knows how to treat them whenever they seem them.

Oh yeaahhh that right...because the first thing that comes to mind when I see articles like this is "oh yeah, I remember now: racism is wrong." Glad someone reminded me, I almost forgot.

If the racists knew they were going to be outed to the entire social world, and that had social consequences maybe they would think twice or change their views...

You made an interesting logical jump from legal consequences (which is the subject of the discussion) to social consequences...please, do enlighten me in your reasoning behind that conclusion.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by YipMan
i know when i first came to this country and started school many many moons ago it was perfectly acceptable and not frowned on to have my class mates call me "chinky or slitty eye" etc etc
luckily times have changed and im more than sure if a teacher or pupil now said them very same words to a student there would be serious comebacks

was i offended back then while being called these names yes i was
was it seen as being out of order or a problem name calling somebody for there origin or language no
now it is
luckily times have changed and i for one are glad people cant just run around holing people into racial stereotypes

the only thing this story shows it that racism even in this century still flourishes in the minds of idiots who think its acceptable to say what they want to whom they want

hopefully the person in question in this news story will use his time inside to broaden his cultural horizons
one can only hope
edit on 28-3-2012 by YipMan because: (no reason given)

I have to say your voice is probably one of the only ones that matter on this thread as most are speaking from a a perspective of "anyone can say what they want as long as it doesn't offend me". Thank you for sharing that.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by neformore
I think that anyone who is stupid enough to make racially motivated abohrrent comments on a public forum deserves everything they get.

Freedom of speech is not freedom to hate.

At last, someone talking sense.

I am absolutely amazed at how many people are trying to justify racism, when they should know that racism is just a path to hatred (as are all actions that enforce separation) and it exists on both sides of the fence.

Racism in the 21st century is literally that, about race, religion, beliefs, political bias etc - it's no longer about colour and everything about using the "ISM" as a platform for hate.

Why are Muslim Terrorists called "Islamists" - a word that never existed before? Because it makes it easy for ignorant people to associate these people to whatever it is that they hate, like different people - it's a new ISM.

Human nature, we seem to find it easy to hate and hard to accept, all people, all walks of life. I have come to realise we will never have true peace in this materialistic world we live in because it is in our nature to create a new enemy and repeat history.

But there is always hope, that someone will stop back biting and stop their ego from getting high on the sound of their own voice long enough to pay attention and see that we are the same.

It is easy to sit behind a screen and think that X is the reason Y is wrong in the world when it actually starts further back but this is another debate.

Adios, I am off to enjoy the sunshine.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by judus

Its completely wrong. Words are words and although some may be distressing they cant harm you. The worst that can happen is someone gets offended. What a #ed up plantet we now find ourselves living on.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   

but see THIS IS A GOOD THING!!! Racists need more attention...they need to be headlined so everyone everywhere knows how to treat them whenever they seem them.

Oh yeaahhh that right...because the first thing that comes to mind when I see articles like this is "oh yeah, I remember now: racism is wrong." Glad someone reminded me, I almost forgot.
You don't get it....racists need more attention not because it reminds people its "wrong" but because it lets everyone know who they are...and so they can treat them appropriately...

If the racists knew they were going to be outed to the entire social world, and that had social consequences maybe they would think twice or change their views...

You made an interesting logical jump from legal consequences (which is the subject of the discussion) to social consequences...please, do enlighten me in your reasoning behind that conclusion.

I'm saying legal consequences are not appropriate for freedom of speech issues...and people were implying throughout the thread that "racism" needs to be "punished" and highlighting how it should be illegal and racists should be "punished" with jail time...

I was illustrating that it is punished through social means. Legal consequences have no place regulating things such as freedom of speech...

I'm on your side with this issue...

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Funny, was the first thing that came to my mind. The twitter posts were moronic in the extreme. Kinda makes racists like him look like uneducated fools. Yeah, racism is bad.

Shouldnt be hard to understand.

He is saying legal consequences arent needed, the social ones will marginalize people like this, just as it has the KKK in the past. Point out these idiots when they make themselves known, no need for jail for speaking your mind. As someone else said, good luck to this kid finding a job in the future. He doesnt need the police to ruin his life, he is quite capable of doing it on his own.

edit on 28-3-2012 by nightbringr because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Scott495
reply to post by judus

Its completely wrong. Words are words and although some may be distressing they cant harm you. The worst that can happen is someone gets offended. What a #ed up plantet we now find ourselves living on.

shame the judge did not see it like that nor the laws this individual broke while making his racist digs

common sense should say if there is a law to prevent this kind of speech happening well if you disobey that law you must suffer the comebacks from that

surely you can see the sense in this??

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
"I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" or something like that. Voltaire I think it was.

People are idiots, some say stupid things. Being jailed for speaking one's mind is ridiculous. Just like the quote, I do not agree with what he said, however everyone has a right to say what they want, whether or not it makes sense or it's just plain stupid. better to know what's on someone's mind than to have people walking around as hypocrites pretending to be perfect. I rather know when someone is an idiot and a bigot. Keeps me one step ahead.

But that's just my view.....

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by old_god
I am absolutely amazed at how many people are trying to justify racism

No-one's trying to justify racism. We're simply stating the obvious truth that it should never up to government to decide what thoughts and words are 'just'. No-one's defending racism.

I'm vegetarian. If someone decides to call me a 'sprout-eater', and I feel offended, should the government lock that person up for 56 days?

See this isn't really about racism; it's about the State deciding what words people are allowed to say - that's called Totalitarian Fascism. It just so happens that Racism is one of the main worldviews Western States wish to clamp down on because it interferes with their plan for the new human - a rootless consumer.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Speech is not a crime.

You have no right to NOT be offended. Freedom of speech is a human right not just a right codified in the US Constitution.
Many of you seem to not understand how rights exist regardless of what the law says. Even if your country outlaws freedom of speech you still have that human right. Your country and government is in the wrong.
I dont know what this young man said about the player but I really dont care he had a right to say it.
One would think that in todays world people would be smart enough to not voice those thoughts but I guess since people are stupid enough to demand the use of government force to punish what a person says we really cant be surprised.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   

No-one's trying to justify racism. We're simply stating the obvious truth that it should never up to government to decide what thoughts and words are 'just'. No-one's defending racism.

I'm vegetarian. If someone decides to call me a 'sprout-eater', and I feel offended, should the government lock that person up for 56 days?

See this isn't really about racism; it's about the State deciding what words people are allowed to say - that's called Totalitarian Fascism. It just so happens that Racism is one of the main worldviews Western States wish to clamp down on because it interferes with their plan for the new human - a rootless consumer.

Oh now you are just being pathetic, being a vegetarian is your choice, it is absolutely nothing like being abused because of your race, colour, creed gender. Yeah, I've seen a lot of those 'sprout eaters go home' signs smeared on doors.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by nightbringr

Funny, was the first thing that came to my mind. The twitter posts were moronic in the extreme. Kinda makes racists like him look like uneducated fools. Yeah, racism is bad.

Shouldnt be hard to understand.

He is saying legal consequences arent needed, the social ones will marginalize people like this, just as it has the KKK in the past. Point out these idiots when they make themselves known, no need for jail for speaking your mind. As someone else said, good luck to this kid finding a job in the future. He doesnt need the police to ruin his life, he is quite capable of doing it on his own.

edit on 28-3-2012 by nightbringr because: (no reason given)

Thank you, this is exactly the point I was trying to get accross!!

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Go home you sprout eater

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
though crime!

anyone who thinks that sending this guy to jail for being an asshole is justifiable needs to have their heads examined

if you're offended by something as small as someones words, then you deserve to be offended

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by wheresthebody

racism is like a virus ..takes one azz hole to spread it across a nation

i won't lose any sleep about him doing time...

i hear he cried like a baby when he got sent down ...so funny

edit on 06/-05004/2011 by sitchin because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join