It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US spy drones may fly from Australia's Indian Ocean territory of Cocos Islands

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 02:13 AM
link   

US spy drones may fly from Australia's Indian Ocean territory of Cocos Islands

www.theaustralian.com.au

AUSTRALIA'S Cocos Islands territory could be used as a staging point for spy flights by United States military drones over the South China Sea, according to an US newspaper report.

“Aircraft based in the Cocos would be well-positioned to launch spy flights over the South China Sea,”

US officals are also “intrigued” by the potential offered by Australia's HMAS Stirling naval base, at Perth, and a possible new fleet base at Brisbane.

The US is anxious to expand its reach in the Indian Ocean amid a strategic pivot towards South-East Asia.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Every year, it is as if the USA is trying to militarily occupy Australia and i'm sick off it. 2500 Marines are scheduled to be transferred here, and now the Pentagon is looking at Brisbane, Perth and the Cocos Islands as potential US bases and staging grounds. I say, screw that. Just because the USA is greedy and wants to have power in the Pacific region does not mean they can come and occupy Australia. This is bull#!

www.theaustralian.com.au

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 02:20 AM
link   
It's crap like this that should be put to a vote from everyone in the country. I'm sorry - ally or not, we shouldn't have bases or personnel from other countries permanently residing here.

Not sure if this is true or not, but I read somewhere that the installation at Pine Gap is supposedly considered US soil...??

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by daaskapital

Every year, it is as if the USA is trying to militarily occupy Australia and i'm sick off it. 2500 Marines are scheduled to be transferred here, and now the Pentagon is looking at Brisbane, Perth and the Cocos Islands as potential US bases and staging grounds. I say, screw that. Just because the USA is greedy and wants to have power in the Pacific region does not mean they can come and occupy Australia. This is bull#!

www.theaustralian.com.au

LOL. It's not the USA... It's those creepy monsters that control our awesome power.

We did NOT vote any of them into office. It's not the fault of the American People.

I hope the rest of the world remembers that... Wish us luck.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 02:32 AM
link   
reply to post by DrMattMaddix

Did i say it was the fault of the American people?...NO

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 02:47 AM
link   
At least now we can be under no false illusions about small strategic bases that won't morph into something completely different.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Just great...

Why don't they strap some nukes on them drones and fly them above our .s while they're at it...

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 03:14 AM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

America should piss off with their occupations, they occupy even allied countries, how would the Americans like it if we began building military bases all over the US and told them not to come near them as they are Australian soil.
America is not our ally, America is our oppressor. # America.

P.S America can have the Cocos Islands, they are full of Muslims anyway.
edit on 27-3-2012 by Jace26 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Having drones fly out of Sterling naval base seems a little far away to be effective on spying on SE Asia, but its well close enough to spy on me. Whats the range of a drone anyway?

Regarding foreign armed services stationed here in Australia, we also have host some of the Singapore Air Force at Pierce Air Base. Its not just the Americans.

EDIT: Also, dont still "own" Diago Garcia (maybe too far??); do they really need to use our external territories??
edit on 27-3-2012 by cartenz because: BIOT

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 04:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cruff
I'm sorry - ally or not, we shouldn't have bases or personnel from other countries permanently residing here.

Australia has overseas bases with troops and aircraft permanently stationed there, and has done so for many years....

Not sure if this is true or not, but I read somewhere that the installation at Pine Gap is supposedly considered US soil...??

It is not true....

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 04:14 AM
link   
Gaah thats close to NZ. Seems like I might need to make some flack cannons :/

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cruff

Go purchase a pre-paid disposal card phone, drive to a public phone and ring up the "Gap" and ask the same question. If they say " can you please hold the line so we can connect you with public relations office" well you have about 15mins before your tagged and questioned...try it out.

But in all honesty and to my knowledge, its a joint project.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 04:20 AM
link   
I dont think that this is a step towards Australia getting drones, but it makes me wondering just how long is it going to be until we purchase a couple...

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 04:31 AM
link   
The American government is a bunch of users.

I wonder what is really at pine gap, anyone took a Geiger counter around the boundaries of that place.
Why don't our government start pulling their .s out of their bums and give back the country to its people instead of letting tom, dick and harry here.
edit on 27-3-2012 by amraks because: spelling

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 04:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
I dont think that this is a step towards Australia getting drones, but it makes me wondering just how long is it going to be until we purchase a couple...

I think drones is exactly what Australia requires, given its land mass and as an Island it has far far to much area to cover and the cost of launching fighter bomber's or coast guard far exceed the cost of border control. With drones you are effectively looking at 1/4 of running cots or there abouts.
edit on 27-3-2012 by cerebralassassins because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 04:42 AM
link   

we have had drones for years

eg
www.defencetalk.com...

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by cerebralassassins

I think drones is exactly what Australia requires, given its land mass and as an Island it has far far to much area to cover and the cost of launching fighter bomber's or coast guard far exceed the cost of border control. With drones you are effectively looking at 1/4 of running cots or there abouts.

Hell no, drones will take jobs away from our pilots! Im calling my union rep

In all serious tho, I would hate for the Commonwealth (current government or future) to purchase these things, the inherit corruption in all levels of government here would mean that its not an IF they will be abused to spy on the domestic population, but WHEN.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 04:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by cartenz

Originally posted by cerebralassassins

Hell no, drones will take jobs away from our pilots! Im calling my union rep

In all serious tho, I would hate for the Commonwealth (current government or future) to purchase these things, the inherit corruption in all levels of government here would mean that its not an IF they will be abused to spy on the domestic population, but WHEN.

The way the A.U. is set up, i highly and highly doubt that the federal government fears its long standing residents, its the newly acquired citizens that i am sure its keeping on eye on.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 05:05 AM
link   
For some reason i remember reading something about this topic a while ago and as i remembered, Australia does have its own drone fleet.

In December 2006, Australia bought a new tactical UAV to go with the Israeli Skylark mini-UAV. Australian Minister of Defence Senator Hill said the Government had agreed to the A$ 145 million (USD $109 million) UAV project to provide its Army with a high precision day and night surveillance and targeting capability.

Link

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by spoor

Where is "there" sorry? If a small country was being invaded or at risk of being invaded and the people asked for us to be stationed there to help out...fair enough.

But, if it's not for the above reason, then we shouldn't be having bases either. It'd be hypocritical to say otherwise.

As for pine gap...I'm certain that we only know maybe 1% of what goes on there and that's if we are lucky!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join