It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deep-Ocean Impact of the Deepwater Horizon Explosion Revealed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 01:45 AM
link   
Deep-water coral has been effected and contaminated!

It may be utterly ridiculous to think that only when studies with confirmed proven facts of the destructive nature of such an disaster as D.W.H. are the burden of proof for some...It is unfortunately true...Sad but true.

So for those who may still have their doubts,misgivings or excuses...Here is another study that has been conducted showing the destructive side effects of the spill.

Compelling evidence of the impact of the Deepwater Horizon oil spill on deep-sea corals will be published online in the Early Edition of the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences during the week beginning March 26.

"These biological communities in the deep Gulf of Mexico are separated from human activity at the surface by 4,000 feet of water. We would not expect deep-water corals to be impacted by a typical oil spill, but the sheer magnitude of the Deepwater Horizon oil spill and its release at depth make it very different from a tanker running aground and spilling its contents. Because of the unprecedented nature of the spill, we have learned that its impacts are more far reaching than those arising from smaller spills that occur on the surface.

Source

This sincerely saddens me,to see man,accident or not,destroy & contaminate even more life on our beautiful planet.

I hope they are able to heal and constrain the effected areas,Wish them the best of luck.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 02:07 AM
link   
reply to post by PerfectPerception

I would like to see some video if possible. I understand that most of the oil sank so we don't see it. There must be huge sunken globs of the stuff down there somewhere. Wonder what that scene looks like? The linked article states that submersibles like Alvin were employed to explore the zone. Maybe they could enlighten us with more than an article, a pic and promise of more to come?

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 02:27 AM
link   
at least nature is known for having the ability of self correcting and adapting

i would like to hope it can overcome this someway

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 02:36 AM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

I looked for some video but nothing recent that I could find but here is the Penn state link with some more info & some pictures of their study -Link

Found this just now,although from 2010 I believe this may of been the precursor to the expedition or the beginning of their studies from the article in the Op.

-The Gulf of Mexico: Investigating the potential for hidden threats

Two Pictures of coral showing signs of damaged,brown flocculent material from oil-

One of the impacted corals with attached brittle starfish. Although the orange tips on some branches of the coral is the color of living tissue, it is unlikely that any living tissue remains on this animal.

A portion of one of the impacted corals and two attached brittle starfish. Living tissue is orange and most of the skeleton is bare or covered by brown flocculent material. The brittle starfish are normal symbiotic partners of this type of coral. The brittle star on the left shows a more normal coloration for this species and the individual on the right is bleached white and much more tightly wrapped around the branch than normal. Both starfish were uncharacteristically immobile.

Nature very well may be able to bounce back from something like this but I just cannot help myself from being angry...bitter really,that this is what we do and allow on our home,the only home that we know and very well could be the only home & planet we ever have!

We need to seriously wake up & smell the roses...Roses that are close to withering.
edit on 27-3-2012 by PerfectPerception because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 05:32 AM
link   

Thanx for the reply. I agree the situation in the gulf is worse than we all are aware. The media has turned away and Big Oil is back at it... there are ramifications for this life we choose to live (in cars). I remembered the dolphins and googled it:

Just one casualty...

Second one down, screen shot:

Yah, they are just... dolphins. So what?
Burns me up.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   
To think this was all planned so that Halliburton could make a few more billion dollars,the disaster capitalists will bankrupt the world with their disasters......
The corporate greed must be curtailed by law.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   

To me short term Video never can explain what I see as the truth. That Truth is we as Humans can never and will ever effect this planet. We are to insignificant...to small I.E see Geroge Carlins Comdey Routine.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I have no doubt the Earth will bounce back from all we are doing to it, the question is how long will it take ? No doubt it will probably be millions of years. Sadly I think the only way we will ever stop damaging the Earth out of our own greed and or ego is when and if we eradicate ourselves from the planet. The way we are going that probably wont take much longer to accomplish. I don't agree in anyway with tearing up our home environment but in the grand scheme of the Universe I have to think we are not of any notable significance to begin with considering how vast it the Universe appears to be.

More and more I look forward to leaving this world via death and I seriously hope we all get to learn more about Life the Universe and Everything since we only know what we fabricate as fact in our present place and form

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Genxbeyond

To me short term Video never can explain what I see as the truth. That Truth is we as Humans can never and will ever effect this planet. We are to insignificant...to small I.E see Geroge Carlins Comdey Routine.

Epitome of ignorance, you sir get the Nº1 prize.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Genxbeyond

I have to disagree with you there that we have zero effect.

I believe we are seeing the effects that we have on the planet within the last 20 or so years and unless things change,it will only get worse.

top topics

join