It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Post modern apocalypse now or just beyond the walls of the sprawl

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Just some questions I've been pondering and thought I'd share,

Why is it convenient to live in a haven, town or city, with fast automation such as water supply, plumbing, restaurants and fast food, internet, etc?

And then, why is it more challenging without these systems?

Obviously the answers to these questions will be subjective and determined by where you grew up but even this worldview could change under uncertain circumstances.

And then some additional questions,
How many people in the world have access to the aid from fast automation? And how many do not?

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by voicefromtheages

Watch this dude,could you imagine this living?I would love it.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 01:57 AM
link   
You're really asking why is it better to live with a transport system, community, sewage, clean water, available food, free sex and entertainment as opposed taking a dump in the woods, wiping your butt with hives with the additional risk of being ravaged by a grisly bear and then end up scrap for 7 baby mountain lions?

WAH I DUNNO! You tell me...

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by FraternitasSaturni

That was a pretty ridiculous statement.

Include all the positives of living in a community and none of the negatives and pretty much compare it to all of the negatives of living outside a community. Seem legit to me.

What about on the other foot? What about more laws and regulations? Higher crime rate? Less privacy? More chance of being gunned down on your way to school or getting groceries? Higher prices on everything? Increased taxes and forced community amenities? Little to no yard space? Terrible zoning requirements?

Don't pretend like communities don't have there fair share of problems as well. The only difference is what types of problems you want to deal with and can handle.

Honestly, I prefer the country living any day. Self sufficiency, to me, prepares me for a future where such luxuries might not be available.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by FraternitasSaturni

Your statement shows the willpower to adapt to a changing environment and ecosystem because the statement states some of the challenges, and those challenges present solutions to new situations.

Your statement also gives off preference vibes.

So how many rolls of toliet paper do we wipe with weekly?

And how many non electronic pages of a book have we read weekly?

For me personally I use 2 100s and get info from 80

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by FraternitasSaturni
You're really asking why is it better to live with a transport system, community, sewage, clean water, available food, free sex and entertainment as opposed taking a dump in the woods, wiping your butt with hives with the additional risk of being ravaged by a grisly bear and then end up scrap for 7 baby mountain lions?

WAH I DUNNO! You tell me...

Yeah, it's remarkable to think that the Human race prospered for millions of years prior to plumbing!

It comes down to this...

We have replaced genuine need with want.
We do not "need" 99% of the crap we are surrounded by. All we need is a patch of land, access to water, and the materials to build a shelter.

We do not need jobs, we do not need iPhone's, we do not NEED to be able to know what is happening in a town ten thousand miles away... These are all things that we WANT in order to be a part of a society that we actually do not NEED.

One day we will find a better balance, and I think that will result in smaller communities, people working for what they need in their life, not producing massive mountains of crap for others to consume, but just taking what they need.

Can you imagine how great it would be if you lived in a small community of people where you got up, milked a cow, and then worked in a field for a few hours before spending the rest of the day with the people around you? If you just had to provide for yourself and your neighbors and family, life would be so much nicer.

Forget all the "isms" (I know what many would call this). The fact is that this way of life worked for centuries. the problem arises when you have one authority over a large community. It only works on a small scale where dominance of one over others is not possible.

new topics

top topics

join