It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the problem in Korea?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by kwakakev

I would imagine that elements within the intelligence community(US and others) take RV very seriously.

Most people don't however, and disseminating information such as in the videos above would be like p***ing against the wind.

One thing is for sure, if NK do go and detonate a nuclear device in anger I would think very seriously about preparing for the worst event in human history.

edit on 27-3-2012 by seabhac-rua because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Soviet Russia was closer to the N Koreans but not the present Russia. China is its only ally but China is also getting fed up with their stupid antics. China brokered the food aid deal between the US and N Korea thinking that its a win-win situation with the N Koreans allowing inspection teams to monitor their nuclear programme as well as the US providing the food aid. In theory both sides should be happy but these N Korean have got to celebrate their founding father's anniversary and instead of firework display...they want to launch a missile...and they will do it. In my opinion they are rabid and uncontrollable. Iran is sane compared to them. If the US were to intimidate them like they do in Iran all hell will break loose. They really want to test people whether its patience or whether you can do what you say you would do. They sank a S Korean corvette with the lost of 45 lives not so long ago. With nothing much to do over there the hunger pang and boredom will get at you so fighting will take their mind off it.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by slanteye

im telling you i think we need to watch this VERY closely because this is antagonizing if i have ever seen it

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by seabhac-rua

Even without that RV tip I would still be thinking the same thing. The Earth's atmosphere is getting more fragile these days with everything else, another big bang up there would further weaken the Earth's shield. Retaliations could get out of hand as well with more stress everywhere.

Long term I see two main branches coming up, Earth can maintain its cultural diversity as it grows and expands its boarders into space, or it can assimilate. With NK trying to get into the space race, understanding radiation is very important so I can appreciate some scientific know how in this area.

With their high focus on militarization and the rest of the region getting tired of the conflict there is a lot of concern with NK. It is wise that the international community is moving to take the nuclear option out of NK hands until they learn how to play better with others. NK has clearly demonstrated its capacity to maintain self determination over these years, but it is surrounded on a few issues.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by kwakakev
So as an Australian, what the hell is going on over there? Why after 60 or so years is this place still fighting?

The North Korean state maintains its hold over its people through the fear of invasion. It's not the only state that does this - actually, every state does. The the threat of war and the power to make war is actually the main thing holding every state together. However in some cases it is leaned on particularly heavily. As possibly the most isolated place on earth, North Korea keeps its population in perpetual fear of invasion, and whips up tension to keep its people in line.

A lot of people try to read North Korea in terms of international relations, when really the prime driver of its behavior is internal - The government is making all this noise so its people will feel threatened and fall in line rather than question the government or rebel.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by slanteye

This large military force is a problem, a move towards a peace treaty is the best way to elevate the pressure this is placing on the region. It sounds like there have been many talks on reunifying Korea, but not sure if this is even feasible with such disparity in culture between the two. Long term it is a good aim, but in the mean time some recognition of the stalemate and separation of powers needs to be identified.

It sounds like China did good in helping NK and the US talk. There are many problems in this world though and just as you get over one another one pops up.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

The nature of war is a tough on. As with bacteria fighting in a Petri dish, nature is just looking for what works. With all these different communities spread throughout the planet it is the one tried and true method of conflict resolution. It cuts across all languages and its results are real and lasting. It has also helped shape the legal framework and social organisation that is common throughout much of the world. It searches for improvement with the better organised and more resourced nations and governments rising above the less capable ones.

A lot of this state of fear is well founded as relations are at 'ceasefire', establishing a state of 'peace' will remove a lot of tension. Negotiations have been going on for 60 years, so what is the problem? Is the NK government more inclined for self annihilation than establishing peaceful relations?

There is a very clear line in the sand to sort out any territorial issues. Is it the concept of a unified Korea that sends everyone shouting and pushing for position with any reorganisation? Does NK think it will lose if a bank gets set up? They have with the US supplying food. Does the UN need to sit SK and NK together in a room, bang their heads together and tell them to go work it out before you kill the rest of us?

SK and NK obviously cannot communicate in a reasonable and responsible manner and do need assistance. The issue of redistribution of power is going to be huge in any peace talks. Providing some responsible and reasoned international oversight by those who are familiar with the issues is going to be important to help these two find some common ground.
edit on 28-3-2012 by kwakakev because: added 'tell them'

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 03:34 AM
link   

After spending a little time on this,

There are some advantages and disadvantages with how communism and capitalism relate and arrive at decisions. Short term profits and long term trends as well as issues of stability and accountability do create large divisions with the separation and structures of political power.

On a state level, NK and SK still sort out their own issues. On the national level, the party system from Westminster politics does provide a strong platform for discussion on conflicting issues. NK and SK gets 50 seats each in a new parliament so these complex differences can get the resources and time they need. When both sides can agree, great if not it still stays in the too hard basket for a bit longer.

As for head of state, the Emperor has some claim but would limit power to the functioning of parliament, not parliament issues. So if someone is making too many waves it is the Emperors job to sort it out, but he does not have power in telling parliament how to vote. There will probably be some blurring of these lines or the Emperor may not even want the troubles. Otherwise if some other agreeable head of state can be found, great.

One way to ease into this could be through a reconciliation committee to help establish the guidelines and technicalities for developing a platform of political debate across this DMZ. Start of with a team of 5 or 10 on each side to help define some of the boundaries and establish better communication protocols. As more responsible platform for discussion hardens, it can expand to help work through the issues of Korean Unification in its due time..

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 03:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: kwakakev
A recent thread has placed Australia as a potential nuclear target by North Korea www.abovetopsecret.com...

So as an Australian, what the hell is going on over there? Why after 60 or so years is this place still fighting? Is this wall destined to come down one day like in Germany or is this just the start of a greater fractures in global relations?

what is it going to take for these sides to finally shake hands and find some common ground?

Help me ATS to deny my ignorance. I know this subject can raise a lot of passion, but please try and keep the discussion civil.

gidday ocker from KIWILAND

There is huge dishonesty in our western narrative about how & why the KOREAN War started?
koreans in the North have never forgotten nor forgiven America's role in destruction of Korean sovereignty for good reason. The history of US hostility traces right back to1866.
That disonesty feeds directly into why the two Koreas can't kiss & make up but also why Washington wont allow them.

At the Potsdam Conference, US GENERALS literally demanded the Soviets must DECLARE WAR ON japan and retake Korea down to the 38th parallel, in fact SOVIETS KEPT FIGHTING THE imperial JAPANESE Army in KOREA UNTIL October 1945 Japanese royalty were so fearful that the Soviets would invade the Japanese home islands that they co-operated to help US forces occupy South KOREA with no resistance. The UNITED Nations declared all of Korea a UN trusteeship even though they had a Government in exile formed in 1919 upon the death of the Gong-Jo emperor of Korea, whilst Korea suffered occupation by JAPAN through annexation in 1910.

Out of revenge the UNITED States had tried since 1871 to topple, or assassinate the JOESON Emperor ever since Koreans torched the gunboat USS Sheridan whilst It lay stranded up the Han river near PYONGYANG. Later when a military invasion failed in 1871, Washington resorted to hiring a young Syngman Ree to assasinate the Korean Emperor, posing as a METHODIST missionary. In fact Syngman was arrested by the RUSSIANS FOR his failed attempt on the Empeor's life IN 1898, but freed by the Japanese when they captured Port Arthur in 1904.

SYNGMAN Ree was appointed to negotiate the TREATY OF PORTSMOUTH with the Japanese, on behalf of USA Iin 1905, in which USA CEDED sovereignty of all Korea TO Japan (in effect authorizing Japan's annexation in 1910).

SYNGMAN Ree was appointed first PRESIDENT OF south Korea following rigged elections. GENERAL DOUGLAS McARTHUR HAD Syngman Ree appointed chairman of the UN Electoral commission . Syngman Ree recruited Korean mercenaries who had fought for the Japanese inWW2, then formed them into death squads to murder anyone who dared to support Luh Woon Hyung elected leader of Korea's wartime government in exile.

Syngman Ree had the popular Luh Woon Hyung placed under house arrest then assassinated by his death squads. The CIA helped draft a constitution for South Korea proclaiming itself as the government for all of Korea north of the 28th parallel, which is why Washington still refuses to recognise the Government of DPRK in the North and refuses peace talks with North KOREA even today.

USA HAS BEEN AT WAR WITH Korea for the last 154 years and lacks the humility to say sorry & push RESET
edit on 29-12-2019 by RIPMH370 because: correcting poor grammar

posted on Dec, 29 2019 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Thanks for some historic background to this. I know the regional conflicts go back 100's if not 1000's of years. Bombing coastal settlements is a strange way to conduct trade negotiation. Sounds more like a piracy run with Korea clearly within its rights to take this ship down.

I know it is not just the USA wrapped up in this wall, but they do have a part to play. Forming alliances amongst some of the locals sounds pretty standard.

It does feel like there are some conflicts of interest going on in establishing a more civil approach to things. Keeping the perception of threat alive does aid the military budget and spending.

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 01:09 AM
link   
a reply to: kwakakev
whoever is involved nobody can step back from this & try again. Nobody has a basis of trust. GUNBOAT DIPLOMACY WAS HOW china and KOREA WERE BLUDGEONED INTO TRADING DURING THE 19TH CENTURY

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 01:43 AM
link   

North and South Korea do not want to unite. 50 or 60 years ago it would have been thought of positively by the south at least.

North Korea is a dictatorship the people are dirt poor except for a select few. They have been brainwashed to think their leaders are saving them from the horrible south and cannibalistic Americans.

The South doesn't want the ignorant uneducated poor masses flooding into the south destroying their economy. The North are power-hungry assholes that are also afraid of being killed with a rocket launcher by dear leader like he killed his family.

Probably another reason he hates being called Rocket Man.

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 02:38 AM
link   

The problem is that Washington is demanding North Korea's unconditional surrender as a precondition to starting peace talks. In Washington's mind there is no middle ground, and no scenario where the war does not end with the end of North Korea. What country would accept this ore conditions to STARTING negotiation?

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 04:31 AM
link   
The 'final solution' here is for the US to do a regime change and free the NK people from tyranny.
As we know from Pinky & The Brain: ""Gee Brain, what are we gonna do tonight?" Brain: "The same thing we do every night, try to take over the world!"
And as we know from Voltaire: "The ideal form of government is democracy tempered with assassination."
Just kidding.

Everyone always thinks they are right, often no one wins.
I think some dialectical thinking is in order for all involved.

edit on 000000120433124America/Chicago30 by rom12345 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2019 @ 06:14 AM
link   
I was stationed in South Korea and had met people that had escaped from the North.

They told me stories of starvation, beatings, death squads, rapes, and abuses I won't repeat. The North Korean regime should be toppled I truly believe that. People still escape on occasion. Usually through China or Russia. Sometimes they are caught in China and sold as slaves. Yes, slaves. Very few have escaped twice from both NK and then China to tell their stories.

One day that regime will fall and the people there will escape their jailers and tell their stories.

posted on Dec, 31 2019 @ 08:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Plugin
It also doesn't help to sanction/punish North Korea and help/reward South Korea.
I mean since those two country's are like brothers, 1 gets everything and have good lifes, the others the opposite (isolated & and they don't got much too loose).
I do think N-Korea is mostly if not always bluffing, they want attention, and this is the only way to get some..

Maybe, they go in a suicide mode, if possible though.

Since the west is basicly afraid and we isolate them, so far we should know? that this doesn't work.

And sure, N-Korea leaders are a bit old fashioned, still obsessed with military might. I don't see a real easy sollution right now..

re attention seeking

NORTH KOREA SEEKS PEACE TREATY ENCOMPASSING RELATIONS WITH USA, JAPAN & south KOREA, however these nations refuse to recognise the Govt of DPRK. you are only citing half the facts. ROK (SOUTH korea) was deliberately created by USA IN 1948 TO CHALLENGE the sovereignty of North Korea. The UNITED States does not want a peaceful settlement of tensions with North Korea. Washington obstructs any peaceful resolution of tensions

posted on Dec, 31 2019 @ 08:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi

North and South Korea do not want to unite. 50 or 60 years ago it would have been thought of positively by the south at least.

North Korea is a dictatorship the people are dirt poor except for a select few. They have been brainwashed to think their leaders are saving them from the horrible south and cannibalistic Americans.

The South doesn't want the ignorant uneducated poor masses flooding into the south destroying their economy. The North are power-hungry assholes that are also afraid of being killed with a rocket launcher by dear leader like he killed his family.

Probably another reason he hates being called Rocket Man.
Cite history correctly: KOREA WAS a repressive FASCIST DICTATORSHIP UNTIL 1960 UNDER Syngman Ree, then followed by repressive military junta which executed 40,000 people who protested for more democracy, governments in SOUTH korea are toppled by the US govt if they displease Washington. ROK IS A US VASSAL STATE. usa constantly interferes in the politcal development of other nations
edit on 31-12-2019 by RIPMH370 because: correcting spelling error

posted on Dec, 31 2019 @ 11:38 PM
link   
a reply to: RIPMH370

I wasn't citing history dumbarse I cited the current situation.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join