It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Starbucks Going Fear Factor On Us?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   
First a new Juice Starbucks and now will they serve the wings as a side order? Wonder how tasty it will be or will it just bug us not to buy it? Maybe they should first try Crunch' Berries... And I wonder why I never have gone there...

You can get your Starbucks Strawberry Frappuccino venti, grande or tall. You just can't get it without insects, to which it owes its pink and rosy color.

In what the company, in a statement, says was a move intended to reduce its use of artificial ingredients, Starbucks has started using cochineal extract to supply its Frappuccinos' strawberry hue. Cochineal extract is derived from grinding up insects, the dried bodies of cochineal bugs, found primarily in Mexico and South America. Cochineal dye has been used as a coloring agent since the 15th century.

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
That's the United States for you. Disgusting how they are allowed to use things like bugs & wood chips in their food processing.
Wish I would have known this before I went to starbucks & ordered that drink today.
edit on 26-3-2012 by knoledgeispower because: to add more details

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   
LOL love it, how dare they use natural bugs to color the food, give me my damn pink artificial cancer chemicals damn it!!

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Only way to get a good tasting....safe ... cup of coffee today is grind your own beans and brew it at home.
When someone else serves something to you, you don't have a clue what it has touched, what they last touched, and what they may have done just minutes before. Bad deal really, I used to love McDonalds.
Hardees...haven't eaten there in years, although I do buy my Sumatra Bold whole coffee beans at Starbucks.
. I grind my own coffee, and buy only Real beef for my burgers cooked on my grill....paranoid? yea guess I am, but then sometimes even paranoid people are right.
I don't like little beasties ground up in my drinks any more than I like pink slime in my burgers
DH

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Im pretty sure ground up bugs is much more nutritious and cleaner than the other crap they would put it in it using artificial colouring.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by knoledgeispower

Originally posted by knoledgeispower
That's the United States for you. Disgusting how they are allowed to use things like bugs & wood chips in their food processing.
Wish I would have known this before I went to starbucks & ordered that drink today.

WHY on earth is anyone still going to Starbucks? Recession, countries defaulting, and yet people will still pay $6.00 for a $0.20 cup of burnt coffee with extra sugar and some goo squirted in it?

I'm ok with the bugs. I bet they are more tasty than the stuff they normally serve...not to mention the protein is a plus.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   
I think Denis Leary says it best. Warning: Contains adult language all wrapped up in a caffeine fuelled rant.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Bugs are protien... Num! Num!

But there just aren't enough of them in the drink to make it a healthy alternative to meat.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by fictitious

Originally posted by knoledgeispower

WHY on earth is anyone still going to Starbucks? Recession, countries defaulting, and yet people will still pay $6.00 for a $0.20 cup of burnt coffee with extra sugar and some goo squirted in it?
I don't go often and it's mainly to see my friend who works for Starbucks. I never get coffee, I always get blended drinks.
I'm ok with the bugs. I bet they are more tasty than the stuff they normally serve...not to mention the protein is a plus.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   
There is nothing new about this story, except that Starbucks was outed.

Here are a few known things that use the same thing.

Cochineal is one of the few water-soluble colorants that resist degradation with time. It is one of the most light- and heat-stable and oxidation-resistant of all the natural organic colorants and is even more stable than many synthetic food colours.[29] The water-soluble form is used in alcoholic drinks with calcium carmine; the insoluble form is used in a wide variety of products. Together with ammonium carmine, they can be found in meat, sausages, processed poultry products (meat products cannot be coloured in the United States unless they are labeled as such), surimi, marinades, alcoholic drinks, bakery products and toppings, cookies, desserts, icings, pie fillings, jams, preserves, gelatin desserts, juice beverages, varieties of cheddar cheese and other dairy products, sauces, and sweets.[29]

A U.S. Food and Drug Administration rule effective January 5, 2011 requires all foods and cosmetics containing cochineal to declare it on their ingredient labels.[30]
en.wikipedia.org...

Peace, NRE.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 02:33 AM
link   
I THINK some people are allergic to cochineal.....

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   

If you only starbucks socially, then youre ok in my book

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
People are still going to eat and drink the crap regardless.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   
A color additive extracted from dried bugs and commonly used in fruit drinks, candy, yogurt and other foods can cause life-threatening allergic reactions, a University of Michigan physician has confirmed.

The colorant, called cochineal extract or carmine dye, has been used for centuries, dating back at least to the Aztec empire. It is made from female cochineal bugs, which are harvested in Central and South America and the Canary Islands specifically to be made into dye. The extract is used to dye food, drinks, cosmetics and fibers various shades of red, orange, pink and purple.

www.pslgroup.com...

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 06:54 AM
link   
(Reuters) - Starbucks Corp said on its blog on Thursday that it will stop using a natural, government-approved coloring made from crushed beetles in its strawberry flavoring by late June, bowing to pressure from some vegetarian customers.

Starbucks has been using the extract in its strawberry frappuccinos and smoothies, as well as some deserts like raspberry swirl cake.

"After a thorough, yet fastidious, evaluation, I am pleased to report that we are reformulating the affected products to assure the highest quality possible," Cliff Burrows, president of Starbucks U.S., wrote in a blog post.

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 07:03 AM
link   
I don't get it. Cochineal has been used for years as a red dye for foodstuffs and drinks. It's fine.
No problemo..
Nada..

I thought it was common knowledge that anything with red colour added to it was probably crushed Cochineal. Even cosmetics.

I think vegetarians have just taken an arrow to the knee for pure silliness.

I THINK some people are allergic to cochineal.....

And I'm allergic to a handful of silly busybodies who have nothing better to worry their anemic little heads about than a few hundred squeezed bugs in their drink.

edit on 20-4-2012 by Suspiria because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join