It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Want To See What A Real Protest Looks Like? (Biggest Canadian Protest Ever!)

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 03:08 AM
link   
200,000 is a vast improvement, but it is still only a drop in the bucket, relative to the overall population.

We need at least 25% of the population of a given city to protest, simultaneously. So in a city of four million people, that means one million. We need the authorities to be completely overwhelmed.

I am tired of there being a scenario where no more than 5% of the human population, is willing to demonstrate that it deserves to continue to survive. We need to prove Albert Pike wrong; that there isn't only going to be a human resistance of that number which then fails, while the other 95% of the sheep go to the slaughter.

I think people actually need to stop being excited about such small numbers, as well. Occupy in the past have spoken about entire protests of 150 people, as though they were something to get excited about. They're not. We need many, many, many, MANY more people.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 06:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Gab1159

Hey hey!! Salut mon ami de Montréal!! Comment ça va?

We're hearing about this protest everyday now. There's this one thing that's bugging me though, about the protesters.
You see, as much as I hate Jean Charest, he did invite them, last year, to speak up when they came out with the inflation. None of the stude ts went to defend their cause and now that it has passed they're outraged.

I understand the frustration, of course I do, but they did have their chance is all I'm saying.

Bonne journée tout le monde!! ( have a nice one )

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigwig22

Originally posted by knoledgeispower
reply to post by Gab1159

I posted about this a couple days ago. When the students blocked a major commuter bridge, the day before the big protest, police also ramped up tactics and have used chemical sprays against the demonstrators.

Montreal has been very lucky having their tuition so low and frozen for so long. Now they are on the way to being up to the levels of the rest of the province. I wish we could have free education like England, France & other countries.

I don't understand what you mean by "Montreal has been very lucky having their tuition so low and frozen for so long. Now they are on the way to being up to the levels of the rest of the province" .

The fees are the same for the entire province. Maybe you meant :

QUEBEC has been very lucky having their tuition so low and frozen for so long. Now they are on the way to being up to the levels of the rest of the COUNTRY.

Am I wrong?

Peace out.

You are right about that, Quebec had the lowest tuition costs in the country...however, we have the highest (or close to it) taxes on pretty much everything else, Gas, Income tax, etc. I was born and raised in Quebec (still live there
) and it is unreal how little services we actually get....slim to none...just look at the health care situation... I believe that the average wait time at the ER is 18-20 hrs(dont quote me on that but I know I am really close). The roads speak for themselves as well...lollll

I don't blame them for striking to keep some things "affordable", I back them up 100% as long as it remains peaceful.

Great day to all!

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gab1159
Hello ATS,

This happened to my city (Montréal, Québec, Canada) on March 22nd, and I'm very upset I couldn't make it there.

The website is written in french, just wait for the ad to end, then the video will automatically start:
Timelapse of huge 200,000+ protest

So the context is that the government decided to raise the tuition fees up 75% in just 5 years. The students decided they would be boycotting their classes, and now there are about 300,000 students NOT going to their classes at all, teachers even joined the movement. There are about 500 000 students, so that makes 3 students out of 5.

In this protest, now the biggest in Canada's history, about 200 000 to 300 000 people showed up to protest against the sudden raise in fees. What's so perfect about it? Not a single arrest, not a single sign of violence, no damage done anything. NOTHING, even Montréal's MSM (that are heavily against the protest, of course
) couldn't find anything to discredit the movement. There was a difference of about 90 minutes between the front and the back of the crowd.

This should be an example for the whole world, this should be how every single protest is done. Those saying the world isn't changing are wrong, the new generations are taking back their sovereignty, the kids are fighting what their parents never dared to.

Look around, everywhere there are protests. Times, they're a changing!
edit on 26-3-2012 by Gab1159 because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-3-2012 by Gab1159 because: (no reason given)

Not so amazing. The liberal Democratic National Communists from the USA were not there.
The same peaceful demonstrations happened with The Tea party as well as Glenn Becks movement with Martin Luther King's daughter in Washington DC.
OWS, a soros DNC agenda, Not So Much.
The Canadians must be commended for their intellectual, and social display as well as their respect for civil restraint. SNF

edit on 27-3-2012 by Violater1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by lifeissacred
reply to post by knoledgeispower

England doesn't have free university tuition. It costs £9000 a year.

AFter a massive tuition increase 2 years ago that resulted in the same type of riot being bragged about in Canada.

Today's huge protest was organised by the NUS and lecturers' union the UCU. Both unions have attacked coalition plans to raise tuition fees as high as £9,000 while making 40% cuts to university teaching budgets.

www.guardian.co.uk...

Can't get blood out of a turnip. The "free ride" will always end when the magical "Free Money" disappears. Because nothing is free especially as it relates to Universities. In the U.S,. tenured professors routinely make well over $100,000 a year plus perks.

Tuition spikes are a problem all over the US. Increases often outpace inflation.

The sticker price of studying and living on campus at the average public university rose 5.4% for in-state students, or about $1,100, to $21,447 this fall, the College Board estimated. The chief cause of that increase was a dramatic spike in tuition and fees at hundreds of public universities. Tuition at the average public university jumped 8.3% to $8,244.

Many campuses, however, had increases that were drastically higher. California State University San Marcos posted the highest percentage increase in the country by raising tuition and fees by 31% to $6,596, according to Collegedata.com.

The University of New Hampshire hiked its tuition 11.5% to $15,250, giving New Hampshire the most expensive public college system in the country.

The sticker price of living and studying for a year at a typical private college rose 4.3% to $42,224 this year.

money.cnn.com...

I've paid my college debt and don't feel sorry for anyone else who signed the same papers that I did. Perhaps the focus needs to be applied to the Universities and their outrageous salary and benefit structures. The multimillion dollar self funded athletic programs. million dollar contracts to hire a football coach etc etc. The non stop solicitation of alumni to add to the multimillion dollar endowment coffers blah blah.

Protest all you want Canada. Welcome to reality!. Now quit yer bitchin'

edit on 27-3-2012 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

ETA
Remember students of Quebec. You still pay the lowest tuition of all of you Canadian brothers and sisters.

The proposal to add $325 a year to tuition every year for five years is reasonable. Quebec’s tuition fees, which would reach $3,800 a year by 2016, will still be among the lowest in Canada.

$325 a year for five years!! Really? Cry me a river. Your tuition fees have been FROZEN for 33 of the last 44 years. That's why you're getting hit now. The well is dry. It is not an entitlement

For years, the threat of student unrest has kept Quebec political leaders from dealing with the issue of tuition fees, which have remained frozen in 33 of the past 43 years.

But taxpayers cannot continue to fill the gap. After all, who will carry the weight of the accumulated debt if not future taxpayers – the students themselves, and their children. Is this a reasonable ask? No.

The students argue that the tuition freeze is a distinct achievement in a distinct society.

A distinct achievement in a distinct society. Wow! that's quite the rationale to keep tuition frozen forever!!
www.theglobeandmail.com...[edi tby]edit on 27-3-2012 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
My kid's tuition is $7,000 per semester here in alberta, i paid $14,000 for a one year course, and we both only attendet college, not even university. Books and other expenses not includet.

So, now I should be expected to pay even more taxes to offset the tuition in quebec?

Sorry, don't think so !

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by petrus4
200,000 is a vast improvement, but it is still only a drop in the bucket, relative to the overall population.

We need at least 25% of the population of a given city to protest, simultaneously. So in a city of four million people, that means one million. We need the authorities to be completely overwhelmed.

I am tired of there being a scenario where no more than 5% of the human population, is willing to demonstrate that it deserves to continue to survive. We need to prove Albert Pike wrong; that there isn't only going to be a human resistance of that number which then fails, while the other 95% of the sheep go to the slaughter.

I think people actually need to stop being excited about such small numbers, as well. Occupy in the past have spoken about entire protests of 150 people, as though they were something to get excited about. They're not. We need many, many, many, MANY more people.

I agree with you, though you speak of at least 25% of the population...

The context here is that this is a student strike, and we have 490,000 students here in Québec. If something in between 200 000 and 300 000 go out in the streets, that makes 40% to 60% of the total of students. That's a big if you look at the context, but I do agree that in the situation where the whole population is concerned, major protests of hundreds of thousands...even of millions, would be preferable!

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by NoLoveInFear46and2
reply to post by Gab1159

Hey hey!! Salut mon ami de Montréal!! Comment ça va?

We're hearing about this protest everyday now. There's this one thing that's bugging me though, about the protesters.
You see, as much as I hate Jean Charest, he did invite them, last year, to speak up when they came out with the inflation. None of the stude ts went to defend their cause and now that it has passed they're outraged.

I understand the frustration, of course I do, but they did have their chance is all I'm saying.

Bonne journée tout le monde!! ( have a nice one )

Hey! Salut!

Completely agree with you, though he didn't mention he would be raising the tuition fee up 75% in just 5 years. Maybe if he has exposed his strategy BEFORE, students would have taken the opportunity to negotiate.

But hey, Charest weakened up today...slowly but surely, a day will come when he'll have to negotiate or abandon his project.

Bonne journée mon cher!

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
This isn't a real protest.

Try ONE MILLION PLUS rioting in central London after Margaret Thatcher imposed the poll tax.

That's a real protest. 200,000 is just getting started.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
The problem I see is tuition shouldn't be rising at all. Knowledge really isnt changing how many editions of, a book come out with the same knowledge just reworded hear and there to make money. Many books have gone to E-books. There is also less paper being transferred. Addition of online courses eliminates classroom congestion, and adds a layer of convenience.

So with all these different changes how does education keep rising in price, whats new? Cost should be going in the other direction, but they use the opportunity to scam people because they know the value of an education. But what is the real value if everyone has one?

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by CB6699
My kid's tuition is $7,000 per semester here in alberta, i paid $14,000 for a one year course, and we both only attendet college, not even university. Books and other expenses not includet.

So, now I should be expected to pay even more taxes to offset the tuition in quebec?

Sorry, don't think so !

So you feel like everyone should pay 7k a year to study because YOU did?
Actually, even you shouldn't of had to pay such a large sum. You have been had without a chance.

It's not because you suffered that everyone has to suffer as well, it's the type of mentality that shouldn't be encouraged.

When I get screwed, I don't want everyone else to get screwed, I wish I could be the last one to suffer of the situation.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Teye22
I believe that the average wait time at the ER is 18-20 hrs(dont quote me on that but I know I am really close). The roads speak for themselves as well...lollll

That's what happens when you deal with private institutions taking doctors away from public health
The roads could have been done in cement years ago but decided not to because we would eventually need to slack-off road workers. (yes true story)

Education, medicine and energy production should NEVER be private in ALL of the world's countries. These are things that shouldn't be done towards making profit, they should be expenses to make the rest of the system work.

Go, lacher pas les étudiants, vous allez gagner.

edit on 27-3-2012 by User8911 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Wouldnt We all like to see public money go to educating our citizens rather than bailing out fraudulent banks

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   
The protests are entering their second week apx
Another protest is planed for today
didnt know 200 000 people showed in a mass protest recently
how come they didnt talk about it much on the news or even showed it

thats a lot of people the waves wasnt stoping

only 1 police car got abused during the entire 2 weeks
thats not bad .. not american here .. Canadians here
(jk)
violence is not the solution and it will never be

The Abused Police car

was probably defective when placed there ...
the AP had the green light to destroy it

The Agent Provocateur covering their faces all the time
to descredit the entire peacefull protest

I work near the Bell Center in Montreal
not far from St-Catherine .. but i work the night .. so didnt see any protest yet
lol
after my night shift .. i think only of returning home sleeping

S&F .. I knew when Montrealers would wake up it will be huge
the riots after winning the first round VS Boston 3 yrs ago
showed the intensity Montreal can get .. it will be a hot summer

edit on 3/27/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Yes, we do have the lowest fees but that's because we pay more taxes. We pay two times what other provinces pay. Although 325$ doesn't look like a lot, it does represent a raise of 75% over 5 years. Let's get the example of Alberta. They pay 7,000$ per semester, raise that by 75%, and you get 12,250$. That's how drastic the raise is.

So as I said, we have the lowest fees, but we do pay our low fees through heavy taxes. Québec has a different economic system than the rest of Canada, so to compare our fees with the rest of the country or the United States is just unfair, because the systems are too different to be compared.

About the frozen fees, this isn't exactly right, although the government uses this argument against the students. Taxes were never frozen, they did raise "according to the inflation" (still need to prove that though...), and the universities get more money every year because of that. WE are the one to pay for this, it's not the government. Call it indirect educational fees. Yes, the tuition fees are frozen, but we do pay for it through escalating taxes. The quoted article wasn't exactly exact, taxpayers can support the educational system, because students are taxpayers as well, and will be more heavily involved in the taxation scheme in the future. It's just more logical to the students to pay for the education when they have the money, not when they need to be in debt.

The thing is that this is an ideological debate, not just an economical one. We, Québécois, are heavily against any kind of indebtment, so it's just logical students don't want to be in debt, because the government doesn't help students to pay with any kind of programs (well, there are funding programs, but they're are very badly done and simply help the poor, totally ignoring the middle class).

The crisis is way more complete than what a Globe And Mail article can tell you, and by definition, the MSM will be pro-establishment. The strike is totally justified, our government needs to man up and clean the dirt, both in our government, and the universities. The funds aren't well managed, and it is very evident now to most Québécois. That's what Globe And Mail will not expose, but it has been heavily exposed here in Québec. The strike is justified, and a lot of people support it.

Please don't be so arrogant towards a situation you seem to know little about (not blaming you, but you don't have access to the massive local networking and independent journalism).

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben81
The protests are for their second week apx
Another protest is planed for today
didnt know 200 000 took place recently
how come they didnt talk about it much on the news or even showed it

thats a lot of people the waves wasnt stoping

only 1 police car got abused during the entire 2 weeks
thats not bad .. not american here .. Canadians here
(jk)
violence is not the solution and it will never be

The Abused Police car

was probably defective when placed there ...
the AP had the green light to destroy it

The Agent Provocateur covering their faces all the time
to descredit the entire peacefull protest

I work near the Bell Center in Montreal
not far from St-Catherine .. but i work the night .. so didnt see any protest yet lol
edit on 3/27/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

Right! I'm not sure about this, but I think this particular protest was against police brutality, not tuition fees? I know it got really bad but I don't think it's related to the student protest...

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
see at least canadians know how to protest without all the bull# and they know what their protest is about and its not some thing hippies can use as an excuse to tell people to eat kelp(leaving out the pathedic occupy of halifax)... im just glad im i only got one more year left so i wont see too much of this change...

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Gab1159

Right
but it happened really recently around the same streets
there is a good chance the same people could be part of both protest

There is a difference between real organised protest and a public protest
when its organised .. there is a code of civil conduct to respect
and everyone around will make sure you respect it or they will call the cops on you
after citizen arrest you to the ground

This is the reason why i didnt heard of this huge mega protest
no violence happened .. it wasnt exciting enough to put in the new
they need a police car destroyed in the street

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ashnik3000
see at least canadians know how to protest without all the bull# and they know what their protest is about and its not some thing hippies can use as an excuse to tell people to eat kelp(leaving out the pathedic occupy of halifax)... im just glad im i only got one more year left so i wont see too much of this change...

one more yrs left ??? this is sad .. i wish you many more yrs
always keep the faith .. never abandon

In apx one yrs it will be the 21 December of 2012
hold on till that date

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Ashnik3000

i kinda changed my opinion due to the video above.... a cause you will not see me protesting.... once you get violence like that at a protest its all down hill... why cant people just be silent and protest without the damage then there would be no violence and arrests... this is why i never protest

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 1    3 >>

join