posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 08:30 PM
First I'm going to say that I will make no effort here to be unbiased. I'm flat out disgusted and saddened that human beings can act this way.
Regardless of anything about Martin's past, he was profiled as a criminal walking home in his own neighborhood (the neighborhood his father lives in)
and killed for it.
I have seen images of a young black teenager with tattoos, gold teeth, flashing the middle finger as if it's some kind of proof that he was a drug
dealing, gang-banger. Those pictures represent nothing "thug" and most if not all are not even him...plastered all over this forum. If that is what
you guys think a thug is we're in way worse trouble that I ever imagined.
I don't care if this sways opinions, I don't care what you think of me for being so outspoken, I don't care if you believe it or not...but you who are
guilty of posting this crap and you who allowed it (even though it was reported as false information or others posted showing they were crap and not
factual), should ask yourselves a big why.
Why does this boy need to be a thug in your minds?
Trayvon Martin as he appeared on his actual Facebook page
Over the last 48 hours, there has been a sustained effort to smear Trayvon Martin, the 17-year old African-American who was shot dead by George
Zimmerman a month ago. Martin’s mother, Sybrina Fulton, said, “They killed my son, now they’re trying to kill his reputation.” Thus far these
attacks have fallen into two categories: false and irrelevant. Much of this leaked information seems intended to play into stereotypes about young
African-American males. Here’s what everyone should know:
1. Prominent conservative websites published fake photos of Martin. Twitchy, a new website run by prominent conservative blogger Michelle Malkin,
promoted a photo — purportedly from Martin’s Facebook page — that shows Martin in saggy pants and flipping the bird. The photo, which spread
quickly on conservative websites and Twitter, is intended to paint Martin as a thug. As Twitchy later acknowledged, it is not a photo of Trayvon
2. The Sanford Police selectively leaked irrelevant, negative information about Martin. The authorities told the Orlando Sentinel this morning that
Trayvon was suspended from school for ten days “after being found with an empty marijuana baggie.” There is no evidence that Martin was under the
influence of drugs at the time of his death, nor would prior possession of marijuana be a reason for killing him. It’s unclear what the relevance of
the leak was, other than to smear Martin. [Orlando Sentinel]
3. On Fox News, Geraldo said that Martin was dressed “like a wannabe gangster.” Bill O’Reilly agreed with him. The sole evidence is that Martin
was wearing a hoodie. Geraldo added that “everyone that ever stuck up a convenience store” was wearing a hoodie. [ThinkProgress; The Blaze]
4. Without any evidence, prominent right-wing bloggers suggested that Martin was a drug dealer. Right-wing blogger Dan Riehl advances the theory, also
advanced in a widely linked peice on a site called Wagist. There does not appear to be any evidence to support this claim whatsoever. [Riehl World
5. Without any evidence, a right-wing columnist alleged that Martin assaulted a bus driver. Unlike Zimmerman, Trayvon has no documented history of
violence. This allegation continues to be advanced by a blogger on the Examiner even after the real reason was leaked to the police and confirmed by
the family. [Miami Herald; Examiner]
6. Zimmerman’s friend says Martin was to blame because he was disrespectful to Zimmerman. Zimmerman’s friend Joe Oliver said that Martin would not
have been shot to death if Trayvon had just said “I’m staying with my parents.” Of course, Zimmerman was not a police officer, and Trayvon had
no duty to tell him who he was or where he was going. [NBC News]
edit on 26-3-2012 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)