It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do people actually think that Obama or any other President can do anything about the price of ga

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I have been on Facebook and other places and I have seen endless rants about how The Figurehead needs to get a handle on gas prices.I find both funny and sad the people are convinced that the president of the US can really do anything.When,you point out the fact that the president is nothing but a puppet and that the powers behind the throne don't care about them and only care about themselves they treat it like a CT.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by mike dangerously

I see on Facebook all the time people complaining about gas prices and blaming Obama. I see no point in telling them otherwise because 95% of the time they get butt-hurt and just complain some more.

They are uneducated, and quite frankly, stupid. Just ignore them.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by RomeByFire

I see on Facebook all the time people complaining about gas prices and blaming Obama. I see no point in telling them otherwise because 95% of the time they get butt-hurt and just complain some more.

Wow, stereotype much???

The 95% are not stupid. Uneducated, perhaps, but definitely not stupid.

You just need to find different ways to reach different people.

Stupid is thinking that everyone else acquires knowledge and enlightenment in the same way you do.

~Namaste

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   

The reason people are looking to their leader is to LEAD.

Gas prices are controlled by monetary policy. Part of the price is a gas tax, controlled directly through legislation.

Most people know this, and they are basically asking for that tax to be lifted for a while.

Our leader, the President, has the power to do this through one of their lovely executive orders.

But we musn't do that.... otherwise the pig on the tax-payer feeding frenzy might starve.

~Namaste
edit on 26-3-2012 by SonOfTheLawOfOne because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Obama has everything to do with Gas prices and it isn't just him. So did Bush, Clinton and clear back to Carter for that matter. Carter is a GREAT example because his bad decisions and poor judgement led to the most direct and painful example of Gas prices reflecting hate of a U.S.leader that we've had to date....altho Obama is working hard on beating him for #1 there.

Does the President set pump price? Of course not..but the President DOES make a variety of decisions every single day from the way the leaders of OPEC nations are treated, to details of trade agreement implementation by Administration cabinet departments to how his Energy Department handles permitting and disputes which DO influence and all but set prices in the long term.

So....Whatever Bush and Obama have BOTH tried to say about how they're 100% innocent and it's all someone else's fault.. Sorry... The Buck Stops There, to paraphrase Harry Truman and the plaque he had on his desk in the White House. Someone has to be 'It' and Obama wanted the job..He got it...now he can live with the good AND bad of it.
edit on 26-3-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   
In reality Obama is a puppet he has no say in anything he does. Unless of course he wants to turn into JFK 2.0

Still he (along with the elite PTB) should be held accountable for his actions

I don't know exactly what he can do to change gas prices, but I know a couple things he could NOT do like

1) Put limitations on drilling within waters surrounding north america
2) Bailout banks instead of taxpayers
3) Supporting the fake green movement agendas like capntrade (Agenda 21?)
4) Stop blaming others for the problem
content.usatoday.com...
5) Stop blaming others especially if he is causing the problem himself
www.youtube.com...
6) Spending money on wars

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by SonOfTheLawOfOne

Wow, stereotype much???

Stupid is thinking that everyone else acquires knowledge and enlightenment in the same way you do.

~Namaste

Hey dude, re-read what I said. I said nothing about 95% of them being uneducated or stupid. I said that 95% of the time when someone complains about gas and attempts to blame it on Obama they get upset when someone (me) tell them otherwise. I didn't stereotype bud.

And considering that you've never been on my Facebook, you really have NO idea of how stupid the majority of the people I know are.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Wow, stereotype much???

~Namaste

To both of you(including the op)

Obama can do a lot about gas prices. We are not uneducated...but you must be..

If Obama told the world tomorrow that we would begin drilling tomorrow in all of the places we have gas and oil Including Anwar where we have more oil and gas than Saudi Arabia, the price of oil would drop "that very day" by $20 a barrel. Once Obama told the world we would have new hi capacity refineries on line with two or three years, the price would drop another $20 a barrel.

As you don't understand, this is not about the price of oil(as Obama's minions have stated that they want the price to rise to the average of the Europeans) This all about control!!!!!!

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by dakota1s2

Wow, stereotype much???

~Namaste

To both of you(including the op)

Obama can do a lot about gas prices. We are not uneducated...but you must be..

If Obama told the world tomorrow that we would begin drilling tomorrow in all of the places we have gas and oil Including Anwar where we have more oil and gas than Saudi Arabia, the price of oil would drop "that very day" by $20 a barrel. Once Obama told the world we would have new hi capacity refineries on line with two or three years, the price would drop another $20 a barrel.

As you don't understand, this is not about the price of oil(as Obama's minions have stated that they want the price to rise to the average of the Europeans) This all about control!!!!!!

As I don't understand?

Thanks for informing me of this, I guess my one response was enough for you to assume I don't understand how the price of gas works. Got me.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by seenavv

That is silly conservative gibberish to convince people like you that their oil buddies need more oil.

for one, it takes years to get from drilling to production, so you won't see the benefits for ages.
Second, it is a global market, the President does not have control over global prices.
Third, the consumption of gas and oil has been in steady decline. Meaning that the problem isn't drilling or supply.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I would say it's mostly ignorance.

Read this ARTICLE it was done in 2007.. but you get the idea. This is why people think the President is the one who can make changes.. they barely know who's in charge.

More affluent Americans also are disproportionately represented in the high-knowledge group, a difference that held even after level of schooling, age, gender and race were taken into consideration in the analysis. A clear majority (55%) of those with household incomes of $100,000 or more are among the third of the sample that knew the most, compared with just 14% of those with household incomes of $20,000 or less.

Pretty interesting stats if any of you guys get a chance to take a gander at it.
edit on 26-3-2012 by 31Bravo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I am also not stupid. I learned to read early on. I learned to reason shortly thereafter. When I went to higher ed I learned that no one is really stupid, they are just different.
I noticed prices of gas going up when Clinton left office and it continued through the bush years.
Keeping in mind gas:
1907 first gas station: 4 cents a gallon........to 2009 when Potus took office gas was $1.84
102 years of gas from 4 cents to $1.84....keep that thought
Potus takes office 2009 to present march 2012 gas jumps from
$1.84 to $4.00 Gas has gone up more in the three short years of Obama rule than the previous
100 years Combined!
How can this be? It wasn't on Clinton's watch, or Bush' watch.
It doubled in three lousy years under Obama.
If I had someone else to blame I would. But he himself said "the buck stops here"
These figures don't lie. Do the research. This is real. it is not stupidity.
This will destroy this nation if it continues unchecked.
Further Obama could do many things to increase production here domestically, but he refuses to allow the Canada Pipeline to go forward. and He has reduced the amount of available land for drilling on federal land reserves. He has done everything he can to reduce domestic production.
These are the facts. It's just that simple. If Obama didn't do it he is responsible for not acting on it. If he doesn't know how to stop it then he shouldn't be Potus. We need to drill here in America.
Continue research into alternatives as well but in the meantime when the truckers park their trucks on the interstates and the sugar and milk stops to fill the shelves at the store, then whose fault will it be?
DH

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
reply to post by seenavv

Second, it is a global market, the President does not have control over global prices.

That's not true.

The President makes decisions that impact domestic and foreign policy, including energy.

Those decisions also impact the value of the dollar, along with how the Federal Reserve prints money.

The value of oil is pegged to the US dollar.

Therefore, the President has control over US oil prices.

See how simple that is? Don't make it more complicated than it is. Bottom line... nobody has the balls to stand up to the oil cartels and super-elite, which is why the President just does what he's told.

~Namaste

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
reply to post by seenavv

That is silly conservative gibberish to convince people like you that their oil buddies need more oil.

for one, it takes years to get from drilling to production, so you won't see the benefits for ages.
Third, the consumption of gas and oil has been in steady decline. Meaning that the problem isn't drilling or supply.
please don't attach such labels, dem/rep doesn't make the slightest difference to me nor should it for anyone else

TBH I haven't done much research into drilling along the seas in north america. But even if it takes years to see the benefits, it is one step forward in meeting energy needs (definitely NOT the best though).
I stand with all my other points still

The president may not have total control over the prices but there is much he can do to adjust it them some degree (taxes, investment in technology, relationship with countries, the fed)

edit on 26-3-2012 by seenavv because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   
You mean his handlers write the Executive Orders all Obama does is sign them.All this yammering about drilling and alternative are pointless because no matter who is the figurehead it's not gonna happen because the powers behind the throne do not want it to happen.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by RomeByFire

I don't remember referencing you in my post.

Line two is thumbs down.

edit to add: I was actually referencing Mike Dangerously.
edit on 26-3-2012 by dakota1s2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   

That can happen. It's just gonna take some gonads. Right now there is no one to look to that will stand up
to the PTB. I just know there is more wiggle room for the Prez. He can leave off the green stuff....but again this is all about control. Not about making things easier or better for us.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Newt Gingrich (former Speaker of The House) says that he would lower the gas price to $2.50 a gallon if he is elected president. Maybe just another empty promise from someone wanting to be president, but it is statements like these that make people wonder how much politicians do control gas prices.

LINK

Newt Gingrich has made energy independence a central part of his campaign, and a newly released ad set to come out before super Tuesday features his promise to lower gas prices to $2.50 per gallon.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by VeniVidi

It's another empty promise.I give Ron Paul credit he makes no grandiose promises.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Presidents are seen as the figure head of the government. And the Government can control the price of gas.

Specifically Obama endorses and supports the fiscal policy set by the Federal Reserve which is the key right now to rising gas prices. Technically, since the manipulation of the fiscal policy and international relations rests in the hands of the Executive Branch, the President has more control over gas prices than any other branch of the government.

Simple economics.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join