It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Melasma, commonly called a 'pregnancy mask'. Help?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Hi guys!
Basically I wanted to ask if anyone has experience of this annoying affliction and what you do, or can recommend to do, to manage it? I am almost 28 weeks pregnant with baby number 3 and have developed the lovely brown patches on my face.
I didn't have it with my first two children so I was quite surprised

I understand that I can't make it go away, I have to wait and hope it does after I have the baby. What I'd like to know is if there is ANYTHING I can do to lessen it's progression besides the standard sunblock method? I have tried google but my brain started melting.
Also, if you could recommend a good make-up brand (available in the UK preferably) that would conceal it well, I would be most grateful! I do not like looking like I have a dirty face

Thank you in advance for any help

p.s it is gone midnight here so if I don't respond until tomorrow it is because I am snoring

Melasma

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   
The condition has been linked to folic acid deficiency - so you might want to look at your diet (or ask your doctor if a supplement will work for you). Also, I've heard that topical cream with vitamin C can help.

For makeup - try one of Clinique's moderate coverage liquids.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by ScorpioRising

Did you read the Treatment section of your linked article? A few things are listed there. I gotta admit I'd never heard of this before and it sounds pretty weird. Can't help you with make-up, I'm a guy.
Good luck in any case.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I got with my first baby..it DOES fade a bit after birth..however, if I am in the sun (which I am quite a bit--with gardening and kids) it comes back. My face will get very tanned blotches around my hairline and a bit under the corners of my eyes above my cheeks. Nothing I do helps because I don't wear concealer or makeup that covers my entire face.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Unfortunately it is a side effect of pregnancy for alot of women, you might want to try a product for anti age spots such as this..
www.totalbeauty.com...

But the best fix you may find is to use a light diffusing foundation primer in the effected areas such as this...
www.amazon.com...

Or if nothing else works try a heavy duty concealer product like Cover FX which is specifically for port wine birth marks and discolorations..

www.coverfx.com...

Hope that helps! You could scrub with a mixture of lemon juice and banana with raw sugar, but unfortunately where this a hormonal change you might have to scrub off too many layers to see a noticeable difference, I'd go for the concealer myself.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   

I had it with some of my pregs. Happy to say it goes away. After baby comes out though. Nothing you an do other than stay out of the sun.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   
There are many different reasons for this condition. Therefore many different methods and preparations.

I'm a big advocate of Raw Organic Coconut Oil. I use it for everything. I eat it too. I like the taste.

I also think Castor oil and Honey applied to the face is worth a try too.

skinverse.com...

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by maya27
There are many different reasons for this condition. Therefore many different methods and preparations.

I'm a big advocate of Raw Organic Coconut Oil. I use it for everything. I eat it too. I like the taste.

I also think Castor oil and Honey applied to the face is worth a try too.

skinverse.com...

The OP did state the reason for this condition was her pregnancy... I'm a trained esthetician and unfortunately I can assure you while coconut oil is fabulous for naturally moisturizing the skin it cannot counteract the effect of hormonally produced extra melanin in the deeper layers of the epidermis, honey has anti bacterial properties but again cannot reach deep enough into the epidermis to effect the additional melanin which is causing her pregnancy mask.
edit on 26-3-2012 by sweetstuff because: Typed Melatonin instead of Melanin as I recently read a case study regarding melatonin pineal production and the effect on skin...sorry for the confusion.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by sweetstuff

I was well aware of the ops condition being hormonal in nature. Thanks.

I'm a Clinical Aromatherapist. I make skincare products.

Many others who may have the condition and click on the thread may have liver congestion, or thyroid problems.

While there may not be much that the op can do while pregnant, Honey is a natural ingredient, and mildly bleaching, exfoliating agent. Also, Coconut oil may well help.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 03:31 AM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

Hi, I have read various treatment info via google too but there are just so many different ideas I'm kinda lost

I thought I'd ask here as this is like a second family to me so first hand experiences could be really useful

I have to say thank you to everyone who has taken the time to reply, I know it may seem like an insignificant issue in comparison to some but I have real issues with personal hygiene (a little ocd in that respect) so my face looking dirty really really bothers me. I did speak to my consultant at my latest pregnancy check up and she was not at all helpful. Just told me 'there is nothing you can do, sorry'.
I shall try the make up suggestions and also pop into Holland & Barretts to discuss possible supplements. I'm sorry if I seem a bit stupid for asking on here when theres pages and pages on google, I just got lost in the mountain of links!

This pregnancy (boy this time lol) is so completely different to my two girls it's like going through it for the first time....
I appreciate your patient answers

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 06:36 AM
link   
I still have a tiny spot under my left eye, but it's hardly noticeable now even though I am pale as the driven snow.
I'd just go with some light diffusing moisturiser and a big floppy sun hat. Just like stretch marks it usually fades with a little time and patience.

Gratz on the new baby.

edit on 27-3-2012 by Suspiria because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   

You aren't being silly and I can totally understand your concerns. The face is the thing most people see first so when it changes I can imagine only too well your anxiety. I'm sure someone on here will have a good answer for you.

As a side note after I moved to Holland I was confronted with mosquitoes for the first time in my life. In the first year or two I got bitten without noticing and went to bed like usual. When I woke up the next day I glanced in the mirror. Frankenstein was looking back at me! Apparently I have an allergic reaction to their bites and I looked awful. I'm a guy and not particularly bothered about my appearance too much but this was just nasty. I phoned in sick for 3 or 4 days till the swelling went down. Damn!
Now I use lemon juice on the bites which seems to work very well.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

Those mosquitos are buggars for leaving nasty lumps
I got eaten alive when I lived in Greece for a while, though not on the face thank god! Glad you found a solution to help

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Suspiria

Thank you

top topics

join