It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

advice regarding me upgrading my CPU.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
The posters above are correct.
Your PSU can have as much wattage as you like, the PC will only draw what it needs.
When you're looking for a decent PSU, the really important stat is the number of AMPS on the +12 rail (or rails), because this lets you know exactly how much power is being made available to your components.

What you're looking for is this.
You need enough watts to power all of the components in your system. For a PC with a quad-core processor, a couple of hard drives, DVD drive and video card, you'll probably want at least 500 watts. In order to power those components, you'll want an absolute minimum of 40 amps on the +12v rail (or, if the PSU has multiple +12v rails, they need to add up to at least 40 amps. 40 is okay, 50 is good, 60+ amps is GREAT). Also, try to make sure that your PSU is efficient. Anything above 80% efficiency is good. Once you get above 80%, PSU's are certified - bronze, silver, gold ratings for efficiency, the higher the better.

I'd be really surprised if the PSU wasn't at fault in your scenario. 250w (which will no doubt have very few amps on each rail, too) simply isn't enough to power your components. The second possibility is overheating. Not having thermal paste on your CPU means that the heat transfer will be poor - and the CPU will retain more heat (MUCH more heat) than it should. Once your CPU overheats, the PC will automatically shut down to protect it.

Hopefully that helps.
Keep posting back and let us know how you go!

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
First off, thanks again ATS problem/s solved.

I upgraded my power to 420 watt, just to be safe. I then completely cleaned the CPU fan (it was in a sorry state) to maximise cooling. Ive now successfully replaced my dual core CPU to a quad core, using thermal paste as advised, and can now report that everything is running great. I didnt have to do anything regarding BIOS, windows found and installed the necessary drivers no problem.

Ive pretty much doubled the power of my system just from salvaging what a friend was going to throw away. My little project cost me no more than the price of some thermal paste, and im over the moon its working great.

<< 1  2   >>

join