learn more

advice regarding me upgrading my CPU.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Nucleardoom

Or just get one of these babies! m.bing.com...

I install these sometimes t work, they are 1 teraflop processor plugin for your motherboard, pci e slot. WHAT?!? 1 TERAFLOP? Yes that's right, I know crazy!

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I've seen this happen before very rare with memory, no joke swapped to new memory broke the windows install, had to do a full re install of the vista to get it working. haven't seen it do it on a swap of chip though. without looking up the mobo

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by 4hero

Since when has amd cpus been unreliable?? In my experience there is absolutely no stability differences.
What causes stability issues is usually certain cheap mobo chipsets or cheap ram.
AMD had a bad reputation for a while, but that was all due to buggy via based motherboards and not the cpus.

The only disadvantage with AMD these days is that they are not as fast as the high end intel models.
They are still a very good choice for those who want a decent mid end system and usually then comes out best when it comes to bang for the buck as well.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver
reply to post by Infi8nity

I said Vista Home does not support quad core, which indeed it doesn't. It's a licensing issue, meaning MS wants more of your dollars. 2 of the cores may work, I have no idea but judging from what the OP is experiencing it is either a licensing issue, a power issue and possibly a BIOS issue, meaning it needs to be flashed. Whichever of the 3, it will not do what he wants because windows will only use 2 cores in the best case scenario. At the end of the day, if he wants to use that new CPU effectively, he will have to upgrade his OS at the very least.

No all versions of vista support quad cores. I know from experience. Google it....

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Catch_a_Fire

I never used any thermal paste, and only came across that advice while browsing, after id installed the CPU.

Might be your problem. I would recomend getting artic silver 5 thermal paste. Some of the best stuff you can get. Make sure you look up a guide on how to spread it.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   

agreed, maybe was mistaking quad core for 4gb ram. vista needs the patch to handle it, was included with service pack 2 or 3 i think in the end. Also most bios from 775 boards need an update to handle it too, very weird since most of them came with 4 slots

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Catch_a_Fire

Thermal paste is essential to make good contact with the cooling block. You will probably also need a higher rated cooler too as the new CPU puts out more heat than the old one but I'm assuming you salvaged the CPU and cooler from the other PC.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Thanks for all the replies, youve given me a few things i need to be looking into, seems like i have more browsing to do

Thank you again, ATS.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver

I said Vista Home does not support quad core, which indeed it doesn't. It's a licensing issue, meaning MS wants more of your dollars. 2 of the cores may work, I have no idea but judging from what the OP is experiencing it is either a licensing issue, a power issue and possibly a BIOS issue, meaning it needs to be flashed. Whichever of the 3, it will not do what he wants because windows will only use 2 cores in the best case scenario. At the end of the day, if he wants to use that new CPU effectively, he will have to upgrade his OS at the very least.

Agreed..id flash the BIOS with the latest version first. Ive seen problems like this fixed by flashing the BIOS in the past.

- PhoenixOD (Microsoft Certified Professional).

edit on 26-3-2012 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

Yes, im on that idea, and the power unit was salvaged, im just looking into how much power is safe for the motherboard and its not looking good.

According to this anyway.
edit on 26/3/2012 by Catch_a_Fire because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   

I never used any thermal paste, and only came across that advice while browsing, after id installed the CPU.

When considering your post let me be very clear...never touch the inside of your computer again. Leave it up to a friend who knows what he's doing. You probably fried that cpu running it without thermal compound.
edit on 26-3-2012 by Nucleardoom because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Nucleardoom

Well i will certainly learn from my mistakes
, there was a bit of residual thermal paste already on the CPU. It was taken straight from one PC to another.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   

I stand corrected but WIndows 7 does not and I believe the OP is at least considering an upgrade to Windows 7. (Vista is not their best OS released, lets be honest. 7 offers a more snappy experience with little real functional difference)
It's not a problem I have as I have single core but Vista is the worst thing I ever installed on this PC.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Wow, that does not look good. I'd just put the old CPU back in and make do for now. A blown system is not a fine thing. My PSU is 650 watts and the board is ancient, 2001 or so but still runs fine till I can afford a newer machine. Yes, it really is 10+ years old, I'm a poor guy and have to make do too.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Just a little recap, i dont think its power related both power units are the same 250 watt, so if the quad ran with that power in the old pc then it should in this (shouldnt it?). Its not an OS issue as members have now established, thank you. Im thinking it may be a BIOS setting or a CMOS reset thats necessary, im not savvy enough to mess around in BIOS but i can do a CMOS reset if i was sure thats the issue. I wouldnt want to cause more problems for myself.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Being a fan boy will only cause you to lose out on good deals. Any ways... This has nothing to do with his post. A robotic rant, regurgitated information you picked up from some forum.

Has nothing to do with being a "fanboy". Nice choice of words which spotlights the fact your probably about fourteen years old. I've been working with computers over 30 years, which is more than likely longer than you've been alive.

Intel is a scam, and always has been. Look into how that company operates at the corporate level and you'll see how bad they are. I clearly stated the Intel cpu was indeed better than the AMD cpu, a fact you conveniently overlooked. I just don't think it's $750 better than the AMD offering considering the performance difference.

If AMD can research and develop new chips and technologies while charging under $250 for their top cpu why can't Intel do it without trying to rip consumers off? His post is concerning an Intel cpu he was having trouble with, I am suggesting that he stick with AMD which is a better value and from my experience has better durability. Some of those cpu's Intel made ran hot enough to fry eggs with, which will cause the cpu to fail sooner due to the extra heat. If you think spending over $1000 on an Intel cpu is "losing out on a good deal" by all means go and buy one.
edit on 26-3-2012 by Nucleardoom because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Nuclear relax.. *OP I hope you grounded yourself when you worked on your board. Keep it plugged in and stay in contact with the case if you don't have a grounding cable. If its unplugged your not grounded. If your computer shows anything on the monitor that processor is most likely ok. (Let us know if its beeping at you thats important) The fact you didn't use thermal grease freaks me out and makes me nervous about you handling that board. 250 watt power supply is weak. If that was in the other computer I'm surprised but also depends on the video card you have installed in your computer as well. I just came in and have done no research on your motherboard. yahoo, google, whatever.. search your motherboard model and quad core. It may need a bios update or its not compatible with your OS. 250 watt supply is in my personal opinion one crappy PSU. I dont think you destroyed that processor just yet. Also I would suggest linux. I am no fan of windows and expecially VISTA! Ground yourself while working on your computer please!
edit on 3/26/2012 by madmangunradio because: (no reason given)

Edit to add When I say you make me nervous working on that board I mean your computer in general. No disrespect and don't want you freaking out. A motherboard that can handle a dual core and even older models will shut itself off if it overheats.

I am so going to love someone to rip me a new one on this. Some quad core motherboards require 2 4 pin connectors.. I'm going to leave this open for an attack.. That 250w power supply needs to be replaced with a more powerful one.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Just a little recap, i dont think its power related both power units are the same 250 watt, so if the quad ran with that power in the old pc then it should in this (shouldnt it?). Its not an OS issue as members have now established, thank you. Im thinking it may be a BIOS setting or a CMOS reset thats necessary, im not savvy enough to mess around in BIOS but i can do a CMOS reset if i was sure thats the issue. I wouldnt want to cause more problems for myself.

Couple of things.

1) you MUST use thermal paste. Without it, your CPU will overheat (due to insufficient heat transfer to the heatsink), and your PC will shut down... normally by just switching itself off immediately.

2) 250w isn't going to be enough for a quad-core processor in most circumstances. The quad core processors (unless you get the "S" variant) have a higher TDP than Core 2 Duos. This means a greater power draw. You'll probably need at LEAST a 500w processor with a decent efficiency rating, but this will depend on your GPU, number of hard drives etc.

if you get those two things sorted, you'll most likely have yourself a working PC.
Other options would be:

3) update your BIOS. Some socket 775 boards were released to market without Quad-Core compatibility (because the processors weren't released yet), but DID receive bios updates to enable that. Check this avenue. Looking at info online, it appears that revision 1.0 boards (your Foxconn 31mx-k) didn't initially have quad-core support. Follow up on this. The newest bios is HERE: clicky the linky

If all of those things fail... post back. You may want to try (1) and (3) before you try (2) given the cost associated... see how you go. Good luck!

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   

reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

Yes, im on that idea, and the power unit was salvaged, im just looking into how much power is safe for the motherboard and its not looking good.

According to this anyway.
edit on 26/3/2012 by Catch_a_Fire because: (no reason given)

The MORE the better. Having a "too strong" psu wont damage anything, but a underpowered one can on the other hand fry both motherboards and components.

So get a high quality one that has more than enough power.
Your 250watt psu is way too weak even if it is a high quality brand.
edit on 27-3-2012 by juleol because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
You can have any size power supply on any motherboard and it will not blow compasitor's. The post you linked to is not right. The motherboard pulls the right amount of power out of the power supply. You could have 1000w power supply and it would not blow your computer. Look at the other motherboard. Does it have 1 4pin CPU connectors or 2? You should try to take the power supply from the other computer. Their is more to power supply's then watts, their is all so amps and how many volts are on a rail. Maybe that power supply will run it better. Do you know how to overclock? If so try down clocking the CPU.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join