It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Gravitational Variance...

page: 1
2

log in

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I'm not exactly sure where this would fall so I put it under "general conspiracies"... it's really more of a question based on an observation that may or may not have anything to do with anything but I figured I'd throw it out there to see if anyone has an answer to it before I spend a lot of time trying to figure out things that would take someone with a more advanced knowledge to answer it fairly swiftly...

That being said...

I'm fairly health conscious... some might say I'm obsessive... I know all of the ingredients of everything I intake... I know the amount of calories... amount of protein and carbohydrates as well as types... the fats... etc... I work out incredibly strenuously four times a week and mildly three times to stay "stretched"... I weight myself regularly through out the day... before and after I eat... before and after I urinate or defecate... before and after I sleep... before and after I work out... so I know for the most part what I should weight or how much I should gain or lose during any activity...

Saturday night I went to bed weighing 152 pounds... when I woke up Sunday morning and weighed myself around 10am I weighed 156.5... generally speaking I lose 1.5 to 2 pounds during sleep so I was a bit shocked that I gained 4.5 pounds in my sleep... didn't think much of it but then I spent all day yesterday doing literally nothing but sitting around eating junk (Sunday is my "do whatever the frig I want day")... all told I consumed a bit over 5000 calories and probably at the very least three actually pounds of food...

I didn't work out at all... didn't break a sweat... and didn't take a dump or urinate and more frequently than normal... but around 11pm I weighed myself again and I was at 153.5... so somehow I managed to "lose" 3 pounds even though in theory I should have been up to about 158.5 at the very least just based on the weight of the food I took in without "losing it" due to a bowel movement...

Then when I was looking through the USGS site a bit after midnight I saw that there was a 3.1 quake in Virginia shortly after I weighed myself and it got me to thinking "hmmm... there really was no reason for me to have weighed more this morning than I would have normally... and on top of that after eating all day I 'lost weight'... overall I should have been down 2 pounds in the morning but was up 4.5 which is a 6.5 pound shift from what would normally be... if gravity could cause you to gain 6 pounds and then when in theory you should be up 8 pounds overall at 11pm but are actually down 3 pounds from what you were how much of a pressure would that be putting on the ground... what could cause it... and how much would it take to cause an earthquake at a known fault"...

So if after reading all that you haven't figured out what the questions are... here you go...

1. What could/would cause a 3-5 pound "weight gain" if it were due to gravitational pull instead of actual weight gain...

2. How much would the relative pressure be on the ground if it were a 3-5 pound gain in a roughly 150 pound person...

3. How much pressure would it take or "ground weight gain" to cause an earthquake at what would be considered a median sizes fault...

Thanks in advance for anyone that knows...




posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
May i suggest that it was late and you were mistaken in your reading?

perhaps knocked the scale dial offset?

Theres literally no way you can gain weight while asleep unless you are on an IV or sleep eat/drink.



posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by SwissMarked
 


That's probably within the margin of error in your scale. And you may want to talk to someone about weighing your self so much.( ha ha)



posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Biigs
May i suggest that it was late and you were mistaken in your reading?

perhaps knocked the scale dial offset?

Theres literally no way you can gain weight while asleep unless you are on an IV or sleep eat/drink.



It's a digital scale that I check quite regularly to make sure it's on point...

I realize there should be absolutely no way to actually gain weight while sleeping (unless you're pilled up on Ambien and sleep eating) which was what struck me as odd in the first place... then when I ate all day and actually "lost weight" it lead me to start thinking about the rest...

The scale stays in the exact same place... I never move it... and all day so far it's been following it's "normal" trend...



posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by type0civ
reply to post by SwissMarked
 


That's probably within the margin of error in your scale. And you may want to talk to someone about weighing your self so much.( ha ha)


Hey... look here man... one persons "obsessive compulsion" is another mans "due diligence"... LOL...

If I wasn't so fascinated by numbers and variances and blah blah blah I would have never been inspired to write such a poetically beautiful post about weights, measurements, cosmic forces, and defecation to start a thread...




posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
If that happens again, why not have a specific weighted object to put on the scale to test it out.

Like a little backup test.

I tried not to insult your ability to read off some numbers



posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Biigs
If that happens again, why not have a specific weighted object to put on the scale to test it out.

Like a little backup test.

I tried not to insult your ability to read off some numbers


C'mon... you really think that someone as obsessive as I've already shown myself to be doesn't have a 25 and 35 pound dumbbell nearby to ensure that the scale is on point regularly...

I'm not insulted by not being able to little numbers... I'm blind as a bat without corrective lenses... but I had in my contacts and it's one of the reasons I have a digital scale with fairly large bold numbers...

edit on 26-3-2012 by SwissMarked because: Wanted to throw in a wink...




posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by SwissMarked
 


Ha ha ...I work with precision tools including load cells( digital scales) and they are calibrated yearly. Sometimes they must be replaced and these are high dollar items, quality items. Extend your research in that direction and learn about your scale instead of gravitational variences. You will find your answer there.



posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by type0civ
reply to post by SwissMarked
 


Ha ha ...I work with precision tools including load cells( digital scales) and they are calibrated yearly. Sometimes they must be replaced and these are high dollar items, quality items. Extend your research in that direction and learn about your scale instead of gravitational variences. You will find your answer there.


I'm not saying it very well couldn't have just been the scale... but I'd still like real world answers to the three hypotheticals...



posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Try having a heavy weight that you can use to help calibrate and confirm correct operation of the scales. Also using multiple scales could help account for any operation variance that may be present.

As the hot magma deep inside the Earth moves around I would not be surprised to see some gravitational variance, not sure how much though.



posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by kwakakev
Try having a heavy weight that you can use to help calibrate and confirm correct operation of the scales. Also using multiple scales could help account for any operation variance that may be present.

As the hot magma deep inside the Earth moves around I would not be surprised to see some gravitational variance, not sure how much though.


If I put the 25 and 35 pound dumbbell on at the same time it's showing 60 pounds and the scale goes down to half pound increments so I'm figuring at most it could only be off by a pound by the time it hits the 150 range... I got rid of all my plates when I joined a gym because they were just chewing up space and rusting away...

It'd be cool if the GOCE satellite had a "real time" player... I haven't been able to find anything current and my "space guy" hasn't been around lately... guess I'll shoot him an email and see if he knows where to look...



posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by SwissMarked
 

Gravity is not Magnetic....nor would a sizable quake be able to alter the Space/Time Geometry that defines what Gravity really is...that being...an expression of One Dimentionality. What does matter is your distance away from the center point of a celestial bodies Geometric concentration of that expression...thus since the Earth is not perfectly round...it is a bit wider at the equator....a person weighs a small amount less standing at the equator than say in Vermont because that person is farthur away from the center of the gravity well. The amount of weight you are saying you gained is more likely to a scales inacuracy.

As far as pressure....are you talking about the LBS per square inch that your feet are driving into the ground or Atmospheric Pressure which is simply....the weight of the column of air above your ....which changes constantly and can be mesured by a Barometer.

I would say...Gravity is not in the picture in this case. Split Infinity



posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by SplitInfinity
reply to post by SwissMarked
 

Gravity is not Magnetic....nor would a sizable quake be able to alter the Space/Time Geometry that defines what Gravity really is...that being...an expression of One Dimentionality. What does matter is your distance away from the center point of a celestial bodies Geometric concentration of that expression...thus since the Earth is not perfectly round...it is a bit wider at the equator....a person weighs a small amount less standing at the equator than say in Vermont because that person is farthur away from the center of the gravity well. The amount of weight you are saying you gained is more likely to a scales inacuracy.

As far as pressure....are you talking about the LBS per square inch that your feet are driving into the ground or Atmospheric Pressure which is simply....the weight of the column of air above your ....which changes constantly and can be mesured by a Barometer.

I would say...Gravity is not in the picture in this case. Split Infinity



I guess what I was getting at would sort of be like if I'm standing on a scale on earth and I weight 150 pounds and stood on the identical scale on the moon I would only weigh 25 pounds... of course my volume and density wouldn't change but it would be the effect of gravity that would make up the difference... but you do raise another interesting question so I suppose I'll add this...

4. How great of a change in atmospheric pressure would there have to be starting with a barometer reading of 30 to cause someone weighing 152 pounds to "gain" 4.5 pounds...

It also raises another point with all the "pole shift" talk going on as of late and the fact you raise that the closer to the equator you are the less you'll weigh... and makes me wonder exactly how far north your location would have to change to cause the identical amount of "weight gain"...

There was talk the other day that I saw that was quickly naysayed about us "traveling through a gravitational trough" and how it was "going to cause massive earth quakes" but I believe that prediction was for the 22nd and not the 25th... although predictions are sort of like assumptions which of course are like... well... you know where I'm going with that...



posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by SwissMarked
 

You are confusing Atmospheric Presure with adding weight to your body. At sea level it is called 1 Atmosphere...if you go under water....every 33 ft. adds an additional atmosphere of presure. So at 99 ft. down...a diver would experience 4 atmospheres of presure pressing on their body. The mediums presure actually makes a persons body become more boyant the greater the presure to the ratio of density and area of an object displaces...thus....your body underwater....with a lesser density in it's total Cubic Inch Displacement than water of equal area and greater density...will make you weightless or float. The greater the pressure....the smaller your lung capacity so at a certain level...the presure on your body will be lesser in area that the water of the same area and you will sink.

Presure is not the way to consider possibilities of weight loss or gain getting out of bed. The most likely culprit is a Bad Scale. Split Infinity



posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by SplitInfinity
reply to post by SwissMarked
 

You are confusing Atmospheric Presure with adding weight to your body. At sea level it is called 1 Atmosphere...if you go under water....every 33 ft. adds an additional atmosphere of presure. So at 99 ft. down...a diver would experience 4 atmospheres of presure pressing on their body. The mediums presure actually makes a persons body become more boyant the greater the presure to the ratio of density and area of an object displaces...thus....your body underwater....with a lesser density in it's total Cubic Inch Displacement than water of equal area and greater density...will make you weightless or float. The greater the pressure....the smaller your lung capacity so at a certain level...the presure on your body will be lesser in area that the water of the same area and you will sink.

Presure is not the way to consider possibilities of weight loss or gain getting out of bed. The most likely culprit is a Bad Scale. Split Infinity



I get that... but the pressure doesn't just appear out of no where and although your mass and density wouldn't change the apparent weight on the scale could in theory in a way similar to having a bar over your . that you were pushing down on would cause the scale to show a higher weight than it would if you weren't pressing on anything at all...

Say something were to lift the upper atmosphere over a large scale area... say the size of New York... then the energy used to cause the lift suddenly disappeared... when the atmosphere "collapsed" it would cause a "gush of pressure" giving an apparent "weight gain" if it were pushing down on all below would it not...

The scale itself has been dead on consistent since that morning... and as I've said before... could be the scale... or it could be something else... I have no idea what... but...



posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by SwissMarked
 

Earth Movement of a level to make you weigh that much more or air Collumn Presure Increase do to upheavel...if this was the case....the whole area where you live would be flattened or heavy destruction. You gained a few pounds....now imagine a bridge or building or overhang that is designed to spec to take on a certain amount of weight....the area your two feet occupy....is small....now imagine the roof of a Dome having the same amount of weight increased in weight every square feet that your feet occupy.

A change of this magnitude would not go unnoticed and more than a few buildings or roofs or overhangs would collapse....I am going with the bad scale....or...the scale could have been not on a level surface...if a scale is not flush...it reads incorrectly. Split Infinity



posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Was bored, jumped in this thread, shockingly, I enjoyed it immensely! It actually made me think! Thanks!


Gravitational Variance. I'm not quite sure that even exists in the way I'm thinking of it. Gravity is a pretty constant fellow. I've had beer, so if I blow my mind out on this one, be gentle!

I believe the following is true: All objects of mass have a gravitational attraction to all other objects of mass. The gravitational pull can be affected by distance, mass variance, or other objects of mass between the two primary objects.

So, if you weighed yourself while the moon was directly over. one night, then weighed yourself while the moon was on the horizon the next, your personal gravitational pull towards earth would be different.

If you packed 10,000 calories into a two ounce cube and ate it, you couldn't possibly gain more weight than ... two ounces. Calories are units of energy, not mass. That's a problem most people get hung up on when concerned for their weight.

I'm not entirely certain the central point of gravity of Earth (meaning the whole ball-of-wax average) stays constant, what with molten lava spewing out, oceans heaving to and fro, floods transferring billions of gallons of water by the second, the movement of objects inside the earth's habitable zones, the position of the sun, the planets, and moon, would all affect gravitational pull. Having the 25 and 35 lb calibration weights are good, but wouldn't accurate reflect the weight change in comparison to a 150 lb fluffy human. Center of gravity would be different on a human and not so much on a solid metal weight whose composition remains constant (whereas yours does not.).

Clothing could be taken into consideration.

Water consumption and water retention are also to be considered. The chemical content of your body might change the conservation of water by your system from day to day.

The variables are endless



posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Arrowmancer
 


What you were getting at with the whole "calories in a two ounce cube thing" is kind of what I was getting at earlier... it doesn't really make much of a difference what the caloric makeup of a food item is so much as it's actual weight...

If I "sleep ate" four pounds of hamburger then unless I "put it out" that would account for four pounds gained... if you theoretically can't make something out of nothing and all I'd done during the course of the night was sweat (which I do profusely while listening to certain frequencies through my Bose .phones so I don't hear the idiots blaring the train horns needlessly at all hours of the night) I should have lost weight because I was "oozing liquid" and not replenishing it as I normally do...

The whole "moon tug" line of thinking also has sent me off on other tangents of thought as well... it you look at the picture below you can see the "warping effect" of gravity on the planet... if the moon or another astrological object were to pass in a close enough proximity to earth and create a "gravitational wave effect" in theory at the height of the "bulge" you'd weight less and while in the "trough" you'd weight more...





Some more "food for thought"... theoretical predictions for two effects of general relativity state that gravity arises when mass bends space and time... just another thing that makes me noggin go "hmmmmm"...

edit on 2-4-2012 by SwissMarked because: (no reason given)



posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Arrowmancer
 

A Few things...yes there are many variables...but the amount of weight gain he is talking about....would cause a massive effect that would not go unnoticed. If such a Varience in Gravitational effect were to say occur in the ocean...at the ratio described in this post....we would be talking about a VERY BIG TSUNAMI....as the Ocean Water effected in that area would become Heavier and an effect like a drop of water in a kitchen sink would create HUGE changes in Ocean levels.

On land...devestation to buildings and other structures.

Gravity is...despite evry teacher that has ever discussed Gravity or even how modern day TV Cosmologists...describe it....is NOT A FORCE! Gravity is SPACE/TIME GEOMETRY.

Since there has not been a discovery of a GRAVITON or the HIGGS-BOSON particle...at the LHC...and there will most likely not be....the best way to describe what Gravity is would be an EXPRESSION OF ONE DIMENTIONALITY or GEOMETRIC SINGULARITY....within an interconnective MULTIVERSAL STATE.

Split Infinity



posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by SwissMarked
 

Just an FYI....If you weigh 100 lbs on Earth you will weigh 16.7 lbs on Earth Moons surface. So at 150 lbs on Earth you would weigh 25.05 lbs on the Moon.

Using the Inverse Square Law of Gravity....this equation allows you to calculate how much you weigh at a specific distance to a Gravity Well or in this case....how much you would weigh say....100 miles above the Earths surface or the Moon or any other celestial body or object.

All you need to figure this out is the equation...you can Google that...Inverse Square Law Gravity....the distance from the celestial body or object and the total Mass of the Celestial Body or Object...Death Stars count too! LOL! Split Infinity



new topics

top topics



 
2

log in

join