It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Huge Gas Cloud Building Around Rig In North Sea.

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Hi all, I live about 250 miles away from Aberdeen on the East Yorkshire Coast.
Ive not noticed any pollution from it yet here.
Ive a question if anyone can help?
I like to surf in the North Sea on the Yorkshire Coast, there's a medium size Northernly swell arriving in the next few days. Will this Gas Rig Leakage be toxic to humans if surfing 250 miles away from it?.
Thanks

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

The information here seems to be a day or two in advance of the news. That's great sometimes knowing things before others do around here. Makes for good conversation when in the world I actually live in. I get information from sources sometimes and am two weeks ahead of the news sometimes. Twice my information hit the news here two years after I told others of it. Funny how things work.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by TheMindWar

LMFAO really! Wow gas prices are going to spike again when this puppy breaks even though it's only natural gas.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Well Just a little update, My cousin has left Brazil now and dropped a message over to some firends of his that were on the Rowan Viking at the time, hopefully he'll have some info for us lot soon

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   
drop some road flares in it from above k-boom , then you can get close to it ,brain scientist, now you have the endless torch you can work with!!!!!!!!!!1

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 12:53 AM
link   
This is extremely bad. We are used to seeing disasters here on Earth, but I believe this to be so catastrophic because it has already been going for a while, and they still have no clue how to go about stopping the leak. It's bad enough, the damage that has already been done, but how much more will occur while the big-shots at Shell wait to initiate some type of response?

I blame capitalism. Get the most for the least amount of money. If it isn't profitable, don't do it, the consequences be damned. And last time I checked, refitting a well with new piping equipment is not a profitable venture, even though stuff like this wouldn't happen had that action been undertaken.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Read most of the posts but i may have missed it, has anyone asked if there was an Illuminiti card on this or something similar to the gas leak. If so watch out them things are dangerously correct sometimes.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 01:12 AM
link   
I can envision a couple of drill workers taking a break on one of the platforms. One guy says, "This place is a bitch, I cannot wait to get back on the mainland to see my family". The other person says "Yea.." , pulls out a cigarette and says " Gotta Light?........"

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 01:20 AM
link   
I wonder if they could weld the leaky pipe closed
just joking how are they going to fix this maybe fix it underwater or is it not a pipe leaking is it the ground

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheMindWar
"Engineers have told me that it is almost certain that gas is leaking directly from the reservoir through the pipe casing,"

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by JiggyPotamus
I blame capitalism. Get the most for the least amount of money. If it isn't profitable, don't do it, the consequences be damned. And last time I checked, refitting a well with new piping equipment is not a profitable venture, even though stuff like this wouldn't happen had that action been undertaken.

Actually when stuff like this happens it costs the corporations lots of money. Just having the rig be non-functioning(i.e., not producing anything) costs hundreds of thousands of dollars an hour. That adds up quick. Explosions, spills, destruction of equipment, etc. can easily raise the cost into the hundreds of millions.

Any truly greedy person would recognize this, and take steps to make it as unlikely as possible--greedy people want money more than anything else, and hate to lose it.

I think its more likely that stuff like this happens despite attempts to prevent it. The preventative steps that are taken are not to protect the environment, but to protect their investment...and being greedy bastards, its a sure bet they go all out to protect their investment.

Stuff like this is either an unpredictable accident occurring despite all safeguards, or these people are not the selfish greedy bastards everyone says they are. You can't have it both ways.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 03:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Obsidian303

No.

Sorry for the short answer but not really anything to add to it! Enjoy the surf and don't panic.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 03:35 AM
link   
reply to post by JiggyPotamus

It doesn't actually seem to be even half as bad as the media is reporting but then it was a slow news day over here so i am not really that surprised!

The danger is really to those working nearby or to those that will have to try and dig the relief well.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by TheMindWar

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 06:17 AM
link   
According to Total, the leak isn't from the reservoir being drilled but from a previously unknown and recently disturbed source in the rock above.

Source

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

If it blows and the structure sinks and ruptures something, it will not be good.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

I am not so sure to be honest. Having read through the info that i linked, it would appear that it may not be that bad (as Minto had already said).

I have also heard suggested that the other source is actually an old reservoir - that would indicate it has been pretty much emptied at some point previously (otherwise it would be an active well head).

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Tsurugi

The problems don't seem to be with the corporation high execs most times. The yes men in the middle are sidestepping safety to boost production and sidestep safety. This practice gets them raises and works until something goes wrong. The Execs most times are misinformed of reasons why production has slowed by these individuals. It's the blame game that is played within the organization that causes this. These big corporation need intelligent and neutral observers overseeing the actions of everyone. Their input can't be always implemented but it's content should be considered. Sometimes listening to the little guy or common worker helps. They sometimes feel things aren't right but are scared to say anything.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

PUHLEASE, The execs don't know what is going on, then how come they get paid so much money?

If they are ignorant, then they choose to be ignorant, and only promote people to their positions because they respect the desire of the execs to avoid any responsibility.

Ignorance is no excuse for violating the law. That is the first excuse made by all criminals.

As long as the greedy people in charge feel they can do a low budget inadequate job, and get away with their fat bonus money, they are gonna go just that, cutting corners, and only doing what needs to be done to last past their involvement.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

I did read it and another report on skynews.... there is oil also leaking!!

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join