It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Huge Gas Cloud Building Around Rig In North Sea.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Morningglory

fracking for natural gas in my area, deep into The Great Dikes of the Spanish Peaks.

My sympathies are with you. Sounds like you need to get someone to file an injunction and get this stopped. Praying you get all the expertise on fracking hazards, legal, political and community support you need.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by minto

I don't claim to be an expert on the subject. This was something i read on the channel 4 news website here in the uk.

The flare on the Elgin gas platform in the North Sea is still burning, its operator Total confirmed to Channel 4 News, increasing the likelihood that the gas leak may ignite. "We've done what we can to stop the flare," Brian O'Neill, a spokesman for Total told Channel 4 News.
Source: www.channel4.com...

To the guy who asked how i know this thing would continue burning for months.. They have already estimated it will take around 6 months to drill a relief well similar to what they did at the deepwater horizon. So i assume that if the gas ignites it will burn until they can complete that task. Like i said though, i am not an expert nor claim to be.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Atzil321

Me neither, that is why i asked!
I think i am looking at it from the opposing view to you though to be honest - if it ignites, surely the only bits that will burn will be those out in the open - the flames won't travel under the surface back to the source.

I worry for the safety of the people involved rather than pollution per say in this particular case but i may be totally wrong on this - i am not a geologist or scientist.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by minto

Yeah, in all fairness the risk isnt that low, but it isnt as high as its being made out to be. I.e., Its a problem to the level of getting everyone off.. but not at a level where we cannot opperate flights to get them home if you know what I mean. We dont want anything to happen to our aircraft as you can imagine.

In the hopes of educating people as well as myslef, is the fire stack not an issue due to the fact that the gas is heavier then air and is settling on the water surface?

Also, Are you not facing some privacy issues by disclosing this information to a public source? I admit that nothing you have revealed is overly sensitive, but I can see how multinational company would like to information from leaking out, regardless of its content?.

ALSOO!!! I would like to point out that this platform has been running since 2001 with little to no issues. Sometimes this stuff happens I would presume, tectonic plates crack and create earthquakes, snow destabilizes and create an avalanche and sometimes pipe or machine wear down and cause problems.

edit on 27-3-2012 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by minto
This is what im talking about. Uneducated people on the topic spouting these posts to scare people. If you dont know what your talking about please stop it as its not adding anything to this, people (including me) need to informed with the latest TRUE information. Not media lies.

If this incident is due to human error, which is most often the case, I would say members of ATS aren't the only "uneducated" ones in the bunch. Members on these boards are sick and disgusted by one man made disaster after another.

Maybe you in the industry can see things in a different light but apparently you aren't as knowledgeable as you think you are. Your knowledge and assurances mean little when accidents keep happening. It's not like this is the only site in the world leaking or oozing something. This one incident isn't going to destroy the world, it's the cumulative effect that gripes our ass.

We have actually laughed when we seen the MSM news at points.. All it does it scare people. The last thing I want is these rigs to blow up

The rigs blowing up is your first concern but for some of us harming the oceans/environment is equally as important. Cut us some slack these accidents are getting ridiculously out of hand. Train your people better, use better parts, inspections etc. How about actually doing something that will shut up all those scare mongering people. The balls in your court.
edit on 3-27-2012 by Morningglory because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
All I can think is that this is one of those big catastrophes that seems like just another news event one day, and earth fracturing the next.

March does get its fair share of disasters, I'm afraid to say.

This is what should be the top news today.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Double post, oops

edit on 27-3-2012 by SunnyDee because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Why are you attacking Minto? He is just an individual trying to help out in serious situation, coordinating the rescue of people and to prevent further escalation of this disaster?

I would argue he is trying to protect the ocean/fishys. Stop being so critical of him. The end of the day he is doing a job, and from what I can see it is defending the things you are concerned about.

So please re-think your future posts and not attack a person for bringing to light some information we would otherwise not have.

Your

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Yeah he does his job which helps us all turn on our cookers, heaters etc and has had the decency to tell us what is happening irl and not doomsayers are saying.
Leave the guy alone and Minto good job fella

Darn it guy above
lol great minds eh?
edit on 27-3-2012 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Yup, i'm with the posters above. Leave Minto alone, it is always good to have some proper information to call on. The guy is doing a decent and difficult job and at the same time bothering to inform us as to what is actually happening (rather than what is reported).

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by sad_eyed_lady

My sympathies are with you. Sounds like you need to get someone to file an injunction and get this stopped. Praying you get all the expertise on fracking hazards, legal, political and community support you need.

Thank you. The population of our county is only about 6000 it's highly unlikely anyone will step in to help. We've seen it before with methane fracking/coal mining etc.

The Ludlow Massacre happened near here. The locals haven't been treated well by these ventures. They seek, destroy then leave. I suspect Secretary of the Interior, Ken Salazar might have had a hand in paving the way. He thinks he's being a good Coloradan by bringing us jobs.

Ludlow Massacre

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Sorry didn't mean to attack but the prospects of natural gas being fracked in your backyard might put you a bit on edge too.

Again I apologize I'm usually nice but this simply hits too close to home.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Hopefully the gas leak can be contained and does not explode. If the gas leak does explode it could ignite other gas seaping from the ocean into the atmosphere that could result in a second armeggedon that ignites gas pockets around the world which like the methane gas explosion that killed the dinosaurs off will cause severe destruction across the planet.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Dryson

I love your sarcasm.....at least I hope it was

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Ok first off. I will ask a mod to edit my previous posts to ensure I dont break any company policies then. Last thing I want is to get in trouble.. the only reason i posted was because I noticed the thread, and I felt there was alot of wrong information in it. I was wanted to correct things. Basically to let you know its not as bad as some people are making it out to be.. :/

I WORK FOR a company, who has no direct ties with Total or the Elgin. However we have relations via lines to other rigs. Which is why Iam invovled.. and at the end of the day, I need to earn a crust to get food on my table for my family.. That means I dont like it any more than some of you about the potential damage the environment through the work that goes on.

This also means I have no say what so ever in daily operations offshore. Its not my job to tell companies how to earn their money and im not in any position to make a difference. I care alot about the environment if you must know, I recycle a shed load more than anyone I know and I do alot to help out so please do not jump to conclusions about me as a person or even insult me with tieing me up with this problem. Its my job to HELP get these people off and away from their locations. Which means I also know alot that is going on in this situation.

Attacking me wont change anything so please dont bother, As Iv said I came on to inform people that the info their getting isnt 100% correct and iv pointed out a few reasons why for a start.
I'll make sure what ever I post from here on out will not put me in a position I could be in bother.

I dont like lies, I dont like the media.. I prefer the truth and I prefer mear mongoring to be at a low or only to be there if there is a reason for it.

At the end of the day, im just a dude working a job to get money, the oil industry is a main player in this area and Im not here by choice. Im here because I have to be.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by minto

No worries mate, we got your back. Just looking out for you on the privacy issue.

In the hopes of educating people as well as myslef, is the fire stack not an issue due to the fact that the gas is heavier then air and is settling on the water surface?

How about my question regarding the Fire stack in relation to the gas? Is it not as much of a concern because the gas is heavier then air and is settling on the surface of the ocean?

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

As far as I know, the wind will break up the gas some what to a point where it should disperce. If it was alot heavier than air it wouldnt rise like it has been. However Iam not a geologist man. :/ I see what you mean but Im not 100% sure on that.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Where's Red Aidair when you need him? RIP.

It was Red Adair who took care of the North Sea rig that blew up in the 1980's.

link   
Who do I need to ask to edit these posts?? :/ You got my worried now man lol.

link   
Shell evacuates workers from 2 platforms near North Sea rig leaking gas

LONDON - Energy company Shell has evacuated some of its workers from two platforms in the North Sea that are near an underwater gas leak from a nearby rig.

Hainsworth said that drilling a relief well was one option for stopping the leak, another would be to pour heavy mud into the well.

It's deja vu all over again. I hope it turns out better this time.

Link

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join