It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Huge Gas Cloud Building Around Rig In North Sea.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74

The UK Department of Energy and Climate Change (DECC) has been monitoring the situation and said there was no indication of a risk of significant pollution to the environment.
Like someone said in a past post gas like this escapes the ocean floor all the time.

Except that ELGIN / FRANKLIN is the, if not one of the highest gas well pressure developments in the world. Approx 15000 PSI at the wellhead. This is "sour gas" which is rich in Hydrogen Sulphide of which, 50 parts per million can kill a human if inhaled.
There is a 6 mile long sheen on the sea already.
I dont think gas like this or in this volume escapes from the sea floot all the time as a natural phenomena.

PEACE,
RK
edit on 27-3-2012 by Rigel Kent because: spelling

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Atzil321

Absolutely boggling . Hers a link to another well that was burning back in January. Similar?

Nigeria

link   
They use a form of underwater fracking? Noticed an article suggesting the pump brine into the well...including using gamma rays and other methods, and if fracking type methods are used, that would be interesting to know...as noticed how they were drilling in a way, that has new more or less and fracking underwater to get more production, would not surprise me at all...

link   
Why is everyone talking about RDS (Royal Dutch Shell), when the platform is owned and operated by Total Oils, which is a French company?

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 07:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Rigel Kent

Sour gas still seeps thru the seabed in nature.
en.wikipedia.org...

Also we know of seeps in nature which have been leaking for upto 15000 years.
www.nerc.ac.uk...

Iam not saying what has happened is a good thing I just want to point out the earth spills this stuff out all the time.

If it was up to me set up loads of cameras and blow it up
just to make sure it doesn't reach land.
edit on 27-3-2012 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Found an article that describes drilling off shore:

How Stuff Works

During drilling:

the goal isn't to just vent pressurized oil and gas up to the surface, but to control its flow. Engineers send down explosives to perforate the production casing at different depths to allow petroleum into the well. This allows the oil and gas to reach the surface under less pressure, and not as a blasting geyser.

I see. They send down explosives...

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 07:19 AM
link   
A relief well to stem the gas leak could take up to six months to build.
Source: news.stv.tv...

Here is an interesting quote.."This is the well from hell," said the activist, Frederic Hauge, head of Bellona, a leading Norwegian group that closely monitors the oil industry. "This problem is out of control."

Turn on the msn 24 hour news channels and there is no mention of it. I think the people of scotland or norway 'depending on wind direction' would like to know that potentially choking smoke could be heading their way anytime this powder keg blows...
edit on 27-3-2012 by Atzil321 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by wmd_2008
reply to post by Violater1

Also another thing that many people on here and in the general public don't seem to understand is what a profit margin is, a company may make 10 Billion £/$ in a quarter but what was the turnover to produce that its the same with supermarkets they may make vast profit announcements by they make an avg 4% profit thats not a lot.

Well this changes everything! Here I was getting all upset by this only to find out these poor energy companies are barely scraping by.

Maybe I'll send 'em a fruit basket.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Can't they just put a big floating inflatable plastic dome over where the gas is bubbling up, and tap it off with a pipe, as a tempoary measure?

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 07:30 AM
link   
www.telegraph.co.uk...

According to reports a gas cloud has encircled the Elgin platform and there is a sheen of between two and 23 tonnes of gas condensate, measuring six nautical miles in length.

Yikes... the no smoking lamp is lit.

link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
reply to post by Rigel Kent

If it was up to me set up loads of cameras and blow it up
just to make sure it doesn't reach land.
edit on 27-3-2012 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

Oooh, i like your thinking! Keep it going for a few more months and incorporate it in the Olympic opening ceremony (or closing, i'm not fussy
). Show those Chinee what fireworks are really about!

link   
Aww man, only 4% of 10 bill, man, 400 million never looked so small... Boo Hoo.. Only 400 1 million dollar mansions can be bought with that.

I wish they had to live like the rest of us for even 2 weeks, they'd be screwed...

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by syrinx high priest
great

don't you just wish you could apologize for the human race's stupidity to the earth someitmes ?

erm no, whilst obviously wishing there were no environmental disasters I have no more desire to apologise to the earth (
) than I do for the earth to apologise for volcanic eruptions, tsunamis etc

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by blueorder

great

don't you just wish you could apologize for the human race's stupidity to the earth someitmes ?

erm no, whilst obviously wishing there were no environmental disasters I have no more desire to apologise to the earth (

I kind of get what high priest meant.

When I see pictures of devastation to wild animals from oil spills and such things, even though I had nothing to do with it, i feel sorry or partially to blame as I am one of the species that's doing such things to them. Our inaction or apathy to it, may have something to do with it. I don't know.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 07:55 AM
link   
More form Reuters...

www.reuters.com...

Platform staff had struggled for 14 hours to contain the leak before having to evacuate early on Monday, said Hauge citing anonymous sources involved in the incident he said Bellona had spoken to. Staff were trying to close a well when problems arose, a view confirmed by trade union officials and engineers with knowledge of the matter.

---

The reservoir lies 6,000 metres, or nearly four miles, beneath the seabed and is a high-pressure, high-temperature reservoir, he said, making shutting off the flow of gas bubbling to the surface harder.

"The pressure in the reservoir is 600-1,100 bar which is higher than at Deepwater Horizon's, which was a little over 800 bar," said Hauge, referring to the BP oil platform from which, two years ago, poured the worst spill in U.S. history.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by JonoEnglish

Originally posted by blueorder

great

I kind of get what high priest meant.

When I see pictures of devastation to wild animals from oil spills and such things, even though I had nothing to do with it, i feel sorry or partially to blame as I am one of the species that's doing such things to them. Our inaction or apathy to it, may have something to do with it. I don't know.

how about we and the earth call it evens given how treacherous for life, as well as hopsitable, this planet can be for existence

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   
I apologize to all of you, for having to live around others who you honestly, and I do mean this from the bottom of my heart and soul, Have no means to change. They have the positions of which they can have whomever and whatever they think they need to get anything else they think they need. It's just a matter of how you view things that is different, and from these low lying areas, even our moutaintop's can't see what they have their eyes on.

So don't go thinking we are to blame as much as you think, it's not exactly cheap to go green, why would it be, when not going green means more money for those same guys.

Now on topic with the OP, this is either a serious boo boo, or they are using it as a fake event to keep people away.

Ship captain - " There's a gas plume ahead for the next 5 miles, we need to turn back "
shipmate - " uh, Sir, are you sure, I can't see anything, how do you know? "
Ship Captain - " Because your Captain has a high protein diet "

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   
I though bubbling from below was a serious threat to a rigs stability? Aren't they supposed to sink or flip when bubbling is going on?

I know some of you are far more knowledgeable about off shore rigs than i ever will be so more info or correcting would be much appreciated.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by reitze
There's so much carelessness in drilling and oil it makes me wonder if they don't do stuff like this on purpose.

What are they tryin to do? Get the North Pole to melt? Was the GOM leak on purpose?

The combination between the evaporated Corexit dispersants & oil drops from the GOM and radiation from Fukushima and this gas leak makes 1 think EA*RTH is being terra formed? These big business cannot be this ignorant to these potential issues where they play a total risk game with the environment.

edit on 3/27/12 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Moneyisgodlifeisrented

It costs nothing to go green. Don't think you have to change anything to go green. You should save money to go green. Turn your thermostat down two degrees, cook your own meals in the winter, turn off lights in the summer when not in use, don't run to the store so often, go to the local beach and spend the day swimming, go fishing locally, cut the speed of your boat down to just above planing speed, buy locally grown foods, etc... So what is so expensive about that, it saves money and stimulates the local economy, the one where you actually live.

Sorry it's off topic

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join