It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS: I CALL UPON THEE

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   
So I've been creepin' around on this site for a while now, joined up not to long ago, and now that I've actually been partaking in the discussions I've noticed that our Mods don't debate with each other all that often. They post comments and participate, I'm not complaining about that. I'm just wondering if there's ever going to be a "Clash of the Mods"? Now please don't get me wrong, I'm not criticizing the jobs the mods do nor do i think i could do what they do (I'm not even that computer savvy). I don't have delusions of grandeur.

Anywho, thats not my rant, this is:
Some topics of recent discussion have been pretty heated and we ATSers go back and forth arguing with each other until our heads explode.

I can't stand when people just reiterate and regurgitate the same argument over and over, it's counter productive, there's all sorts of informative threads on this site but they're all overcast by these, what i like to call, "retard threads." HOLD ON. Before you think, "oh this a-hole is just spewing hate about this site and its people," what I mean by "retard" is that these threads "retard" our productive thinking. Instead of researching topics of scientific value we get caught up in debating a topic that makes people angry with each other. These topics don't help us as a whole.

What i originally gathered from this site was that it was where people would ask questions or present evidence to prove/disprove a relevant topic and then there was an opportunity for others to have a voice and ask questions to those "in the know" or state their side of the topic in a relatively peaceful but inquisitive manner.

What it seems is happening now is ATSers are just trying to provoke other ATSers into arguments that go absolutely no where when these people could be lending their knowledge elsewhere and possibly helping others.

But who knows maybe I'm wrong.

That being said i will keep frequenting this site because there are still those here on the quest for knowledge

edit on 26-3-2012 by Bigfoot12714 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
in hindsight i probably should have changed the title of the thread....

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Bigfoot12714

Sometimes debate is pointless. I'll use a quick example to show why.

"Radiotherapy and chemotherapy are the only accepted, recognised and effective treatments for many if not all forms of Cancer patients."

You can debate all you want but you will never convince someone who believes only what mainstream medical people tells them, despite any and all evidence to the contrary. In other words, you have to make up your own mind and often disregard the opinions of the uninformed or deliberately misleading. As we all know, radiation causes cancer as do carcinogenic drugs, among other things. Nuff said?

It's a hot (cancerous) potato, like many other subjects here. ATS is mainly (for as far as I have seen) a place where opinions are attempted to be swayed by certain individuals in favour of what is accepted and espoused in the political, financial and legal arenas. No amount of "facts" posted here will convince me of otherwise with regard to the above example. At the end of the day, it really is up to the individual to form their own opinion based on various facts (from both sides) and a healthy dose of critical thinking.

Good luck.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Check out some threads in the Debate Forum:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I know most are old but we really get it on. Semper is still smarting from me giving him his first defeat. But, shhhh, we'll keep that to ourselves.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Bigfoot12714

I generally leave those discussions after a while. I've said everything I'm going to, people still aren't listening, but my posts aren't going anywhere. They'll still be there for people just getting into the thread. Those who have already read my posts, won't learn anything more from them. If they didn't care the first time, they won't care the second.

It's no use teaching a brick wall to jump. If people don't listen, what's the use in wasting time on them? Move on to another thread. After all, it's just the internet. If it comes down to it, unplug and grab a beer or something.
edit on CMondaypm121253f53America/Chicago26 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Starchild23

good point. what I'm saying though when you or whoever at these threads arguing its not only wasting your time but also all those who are seeking information you may have about a good topic

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Thanks just what i was looking for

new topics

top topics

join