It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
FOLSOM ---- San Diego County and Southwest Riverside County would be particularly at risk of blackouts in the event of a hot summer and if a continued shutdown of two nuclear reactors at the San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station lingers, state regulators were told Thursday.
The potential deficit could prompt officials this summer to bring in electric generators on barges or to restart retired power plants to make up for lost electricity.
Analysts at the agency that operates California's wholesale power system outlined a series of possible steps to avoid blackouts, if the reactors at San Onofre remain offline.
Nuke plant quake study on hold over $64m cost
SAN DIEGO—An earthquake study at the San Onofre nuclear plant is on hold until regulators determine whether utility customers should pay the $64 million cost.
U-T San Diego ( http://(link tracking not allowed)/w0qCLL) says the study will survey hidden quake faults near the coastal plant.
Southern California Edison wants customers, not shareholders, to cover the cost. The California Public Utilities Commission will decide and Edison says it's waiting for the decision before proceeding.
The scope of the study was enlarged after a Japanese nuclear plant was damaged by a quake and tsunami last year.
San Onofre was built to withstand a quake of magnitude-7 or stronger. But there's a chance that hidden faults could provide a greater quake risk.