It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Racism is mostly a farce

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhatAreThey
I find it absolutely hilarious how you people get on your high horses and call someone "racist" and think you are soooo much better than them - like you have just pulled the wools from everyone else's eyes and exposed this person for being a raaacccciiiiissstt.

Most of us are not racist. We are more... "culturalist".

We don't like thugs who wear pants down to their ankles revealing their underwear for everyone to see, speak in gibberish, attempt to legitimize a corruption of a language, replace their teeth with tinfoil/diamonds/gold, have huge obnoxious tires and blast loud vulgar music for all to hear. Those who have 6 kids by 6 different daddy's. Those who don't know who the father of their children are. We don't like the culture of walking around harassing people because someone looked at them funny. We don't like the culture of highly disproportionate crime rates, violence, rape, and drug use. We don't like the general disrespect and selfishness the culture has. We don't like the lack of self-improvement or the attitude of entitlement. The culture of victimization and persecution from white people. We don't like the culture of placing blame on the white man. We don't like the culture of staying on welfare while you go out and make tons of money selling drugs.

This culture exists. PC has allowed for a large group of people to adopt the above culture and be protected behind a curtain of politically correct sheep who defend any criticism or discrimination of the above by labeling it "racist" by inherently assuming that the above culture is the culture of the inner city black person.

The person or persons you describe above aren't limited to a particular race. White, black, Latino, Italian, Filipino...it doesn't matter what race they are, it crosses them all. And I can't stand anyone that embraces it. It's vulgar and childish, and smacks of someone that doesn't care about themselves or their fellow human beings.

That being said, I don't like the "white trash" look either (tank top, cutoffs, flip flops), as they appear just as dirty and unkempt as the former.

/TOA

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by The Old American

I am usually barefoot, but

No flip flops?

Cuts offs and flip flops are white trash, where on earth do you live?

edit on 023131p://bMonday2012 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
reply to post by antonia

I'm going to be honest-Talking with you is always impossible.

Really?

As I see it, it isn't just a Zimmerman, Martin issue, but something that plagues humanity, why do you even respond to me?

I didn't, I responded to someone else. You replied to that and asked a question.

See, here it is in a nut shell, you don't agree with me on an issue and instead of communicating resort to a personal insult.

I didn't insult you. I said it is impossible to talk to you, that's very different. I'm not calling you a bad person, I'm saying I can't effectively communicate with you. Honestly, I didn't even look for your positions.

I imagine you don't agree with me on many issues, and have formed your own personally opinion of me, and are just itching for an argument.

No, I'm annoyed because you asked me a question to which you knew the answer and then proceeded to bring up something that had nothing to do with what I said.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by eyesontheskies
I agree I mean at least in my area black people do fit the stereotype. I mean the thing is how many white people or any other race for that matter do you see that falls into the thug category? I have absolutely NO PROBLEM with black people and i know that a very large majority of black people dont fit the stereotype. I mean if people have a problem with being stereotyped then just dont follow the stereotype.

Actually there are plenty of cases in the poorer neighborhoods. Bikers, trailer park “white trash”, rednecks (though that term gets interchanged with hill billys) etc.. are all representations of the white versions of ghetto or thugs.

There are examples of hooligans in all colors and races, but the word "thug" has been popularized by the hip hop culture and in many ways glorified. But the original meaning of thug has nothing to do with black people, it is simply another way of saying Criminal, hooligan, hood etc..

The thing that most people do not understand is that this is primarily a poor issue or class issue and being that people of color are disproportionately poor they get the most flack and spot lighted. Until the people within the neighborhoods themselves address this issue nothing will change. But on the other hand to say that a race as a whole fits perfectly into a particular negative sterotype is just plain ignorance.

edit on 26-3-2012 by Chewingonmushrooms because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Old American

I find it absolutely hilarious how you people get on your high horses and call someone "racist" and think you are soooo much better than them - like you have just pulled the wools from everyone else's eyes and exposed this person for being a raaacccciiiiissstt.

Most of us are not racist. We are more... "culturalist".

We don't like thugs who wear pants down to their ankles revealing their underwear for everyone to see, speak in gibberish, attempt to legitimize a corruption of a language, replace their teeth with tinfoil/diamonds/gold, have huge obnoxious tires and blast loud vulgar music for all to hear. Those who have 6 kids by 6 different daddy's. Those who don't know who the father of their children are. We don't like the culture of walking around harassing people because someone looked at them funny. We don't like the culture of highly disproportionate crime rates, violence, rape, and drug use. We don't like the general disrespect and selfishness the culture has. We don't like the lack of self-improvement or the attitude of entitlement. The culture of victimization and persecution from white people. We don't like the culture of placing blame on the white man. We don't like the culture of staying on welfare while you go out and make tons of money selling drugs.

This culture exists. PC has allowed for a large group of people to adopt the above culture and be protected behind a curtain of politically correct sheep who defend any criticism or discrimination of the above by labeling it "racist" by inherently assuming that the above culture is the culture of the inner city black person.

The person or persons you describe above aren't limited to a particular race. White, black, Latino, Italian, Filipino...it doesn't matter what race they are, it crosses them all. And I can't stand anyone that embraces it. It's vulgar and childish, and smacks of someone that doesn't care about themselves or their fellow human beings.

That being said, I don't like the "white trash" look either (tank top, cutoffs, flip flops), as they appear just as dirty and unkempt as the former.

/TOA

I agree wholeheartedly my good man. You are a scholar and a gentleman :-)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

Talking in text can be confusing and misinterpreted at times, I honestly wanted you to clarify your position,

Never mind., you hurt my feelings, how's that for honesty?

Can we be cordial?

I apologize for upsetting you, or frustrating you,
let's not sweat the small stuff.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chewingonmushrooms

Originally posted by eyesontheskies

The thing that most people do not understand is that this is primarily a poor issue or class issue and being that people of color are disproportionately poor they get the most flack and spot light. Until the people within the neighborhoods themselves address this issue nothing will change.

Class issue? Isn't that looked down on? That's historically one of the worst forms of discrimination.

Do you think "they" try to jam it into our minds that it's all just "racism" and that we are falling for their trap and bickering about something as stupid as "skin color" with one another?

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by WhatAreThey

We don't live in a perfect society.

Racism will always exist in one form or another.

Why is it that the majority of people who complain about the "race card" are white? Hmm?

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Sword

Why is it that the majority of people who complain about the "race card" are white? Hmm?

Prolly cause they get tired of hearing it.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Probably because there are 38 million blacks and 228 million whites. The whites hear it on the time, and now they say it.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   

No flip flops?

I live smack in the middle of Trash City, U.S.A. The heart of East Texas, where the trees are grown to hide the meth house, teens wear pants around their ankles to make them look like gangstas, and on every corner is some idiot with no teeth and no shirt on his third six pack. At 11 AM.

God Bless the U.S.A.

/TOA

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Personally I am not looking down on poor people because that would mean I would be looking down upon myself. Though I am not technically poor anymore (more like lower middle class) I grew up poor in bad neighborhoods. What are we talking about here? It is quite obvious from your OP that you are describing the hip hop culture which is associated with Black people mostly right? I simply added context into the equation; the roots of hip hop stem from the inner city poor youth. That's it's origin.

Somewhere along the way it became a national phenomenon transcending different classes and got mainstream appeal thanks mostly to MTV and radio play. It changed from a primarily underground sound into a polished, clubby and notoriously materialist culture. It is a caricature that exaggerates certain lifestyles promoted by high level execs that stood to make money off of it and gained mainstream radio play. But the music has become negative and certain kids growing up now feel that it represents their race and/or way of life which it does not.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Old American

No flip flops?

I live smack in the middle of Trash City, U.S.A. The heart of East Texas, where the trees are grown to hide the meth house, teens wear pants around their ankles to make them look like gangstas, and on every corner is some idiot with no teeth and no shirt on his third six pack. At 11 AM.

God Bless the U.S.A.

/TOA

The good ole U.S. of A has gone through many transitions, and transformation, not all for the better, I was raised in a neighborhood of many different European cultures, no one spoke English, now I still live only a few blocks away from where I was raised, but the faces have changed,

Flip flops?

edit on 033131p://bMonday2012 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Why won't everyone admit they have a little bit of racism? All do. Everyone. Nobody is immune to it. It's ugly, and I'm not proud of it, but there it is. I don't let it color my decisions about how I live my life or interact with people, but it's there in the back of my mind.

You have it, too. You may say that you don't, and probably even believe it, but you're lying to yourself. Humans prefer the familiar. Anyone different is scrutinized and seen as suspect. It's a survival instinct. And no matter what religious whackos say, we're all just animals running on instinct.

/TOA

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   

But ignoramce is real.

No. You don't find it "hilarious". You don't sit around and laugh til you cry. You just do what small ppl do .. you toss out the :hilarious" mantra when you have nothing to say.

Only a bigot would say what you did. Wear the mark proudly.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   

I wouldn't say we are all racist to some degree but rather that we are aware of our differences and like to associate ourselves with likeminded individuals and/or stay in familar cultures. A poor white American has more in common with a poor black American than they do with a white middle class Eastern European guy.

Do we all stereotype at one point or the other, sure we do. But that's what are brains are meant to do, distigush one thing from another, see similarities and have likes and dislikes. It's when that awareness of differences harms or affects another or yourself that you seperate yourself from the common norm.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Double post

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   

You have it, too. You may say that you don't, and probably even believe it, but you're lying to yourself. Humans prefer the familiar. Anyone different is scrutinized and seen as suspect. It's a survival instinct. And no matter what religious whackos say, we're all just animals running on instinct.

I agree about survival instinct, but I don't agree everyone is racist, I just don't see it, never heard it in my home, didn't raise my kids that way, actually for the last several years couldn't get enough of studying the different cultures, their religious beliefs, absolutely love the beauty of the different cultures.

I am not saying that I agree with ALL their beliefs, I find some of it repulsive, but that doesn't mean I hate them, I would love to see them do away with outdated belief systems that are barbaric and archaic, not out of hatred, like I have been accused of on the forum, but from a position of love and wishing them a better way of life.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by FeatherofMaat

But ignoramce is real.

No. You don't find it "hilarious". You don't sit around and laugh til you cry. You just do what small ppl do .. you toss out the :hilarious" mantra when you have nothing to say.

Being a bigot is associated with prejudices and opinions. The actions of the culture I describe are neither opinions nor preconceived. The actions, the culture, and the groups who adopt those cultures are real.

It is you who are ignorant.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by FeatherofMaat

But ignoramce is real.

Being a bigot is associated with prejudices and opinions. The actions of the culture I describe are neither opinions nor preconceived. The actions, the culture, and the groups who adopt those cultures are real.

It is you who are ignorant.

Surprisingly I agree, if you single out that particular culture it has done more harm than good IMO. Now if you just apply that culture to one race then you would certainly be bigoted. Your thread should be on the subject of hip hop culture (the main genre, not underground or other forms) and I feel that's what it mainly addresses.

This is not meant to demonize hip hop as a whole, because there are many forms that are poetic, lyrical and empowering.Those forms aren't popular and do not get radio play. Lil Wayne gets radio play enough said.

Humans are creatures of imitation and are influenced (especially the younger bucks) by what they see and hear. If they see videos of people acting like buffoons and slapping a$$es all the while riding in a pimped out car that they couldn't have possibily afford why talking about making "dat money" aka hustling while eye balling some dude for no reason, then they will grow up believing that is the way to act. Sorry for the run on but you get the point.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join