It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vogue Editor Forces 7 yr old Daughter On Diet

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
7 Yr. Old Diet

Vogue editor's daughter was 16 lbs overweight, so she put her on a diet. Forcing her to go to bed without supper because she had Brie cheese at school, throwing away Starbucks Hot Cocoa because of the calorie count, etc... After the daughter lost the weight, she told her, she was no longer the "fat girl".

Now as a parent, I understand WHY she did it, but I think she went about it the wrong way. I think instead of teacher her daughter a negative association with food (possibly setting her up for anorexia or bulimia in the future), she should have taught her a healthier way to eat. Do 6 days of healthy eating, and on the 7th, let her have low fat versions of things she used as "junk food". Made in a way that she would enjoy, possibly better than the unhealthy version. That's just my opinion. I use a similar approach with my daughter because her medication makes her hungry constantly, so she's allowed to have "treats", less salt in her diet, but still tastes good, I try to do less fat in her diet but she has a thing for mayonnaise recently, so I buy low fat. I've also taught her to enjoy spicy foods, because they can help your metabolism and help you burn the calories you just ate. And yes, it's ok to slide. You just get back on the horse and try again. Nothing wrong with that. But if you teach negative association with food, it just sets up problems in the future. That's just my thoughts. Anyone?

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
It floors me to read articles like this. It's not right to force adult lifestyles on a 7 year old girl. I agree this is setting up a possible eating disorder for this young girl. All the wrong messages, for all the wrong reasons....

Des

edit on 26-3-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   
One could argue that the mother set up the daughter for future eating disorders; one could, with equal validity, argue that the mother "nipped" an eating disorder "in the bud" before the progression of that disorder went to far.

Overeating is as much of an eating disorder as anorexia. As someone that grew up obese and subsequently lost 135 pounds I side with the mother on this one. Perhaps if one of my relatives had taken this kind of decisive action my eating disorder would not have progressed to the point that I had 135 pounds to lose.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Control the eating is needed, but she did it in a retarded way. Need to give them reason why one should not eat something. Kids should eat all they want but in a healthy manner.

When i see my nephew eating pizza before he goes to bed, i usually tell him not to do that because eating before bed makes your food stay in your body longer and make you fat and he understood that. he is 6 yrs old. i think he secretly does it but when I'm around he doesn't.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   
yeah that Mom needs a smack upside her damn head, wtf is wrong with her, Like the OP said healhty eating not punishment for a 7 year old, she's too little to understand.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   
The mother is an absolute retard. The way I see it, is that her mother doesn't *really* know what a diet is. So she just lets her kid eat whatever, whenever. Instead, she should teach the child that almost any food is OK in moderation with an active lifestyle. (Like a kid should already have.) That doesn't mean eat burgers day in and day out, but once in a while fine.

And instead of just doing something simple, like saying "NO" like she should, she goes the "vogue" way and puts her on a crash diet.

A diet is a life style, not something you do because you think you're fat for a short while.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Auricom

The movie Mommy Dearest comes to mind....the child is only a reflection of the adult....sheesh....

Des

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   
ooh you know what makes me sooo bitter, reading about "French Day" at the little girls school, Brie, fillet Mignon, baguettes. I hate the privledged lmao.
I also read in the article that she took her daughter to starbucks and the little girl asked for a hot chocolate and when the kid working there was handing it to her this dumb mother then asked how many calories, the boy didn't know so she "ripped the chocoloate his hands, and poured it down the sink".
Great work Mom, you take her to get hot chocolate, when the waiter is handing it to her, you rip it from his hands, what a stupid woman.It seems this is normal for the fashion industry. sickening.
edit on 26-3-2012 by hapablab because: changed the wording a little

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
seriously.....

I mean really. This is what were discussing right now...

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   
i wish my parents taught me how to eat right, just now I'm realizing all the crap they have stuffed down my mouth and now I'm changing my eating patterns..thank god that I'm not following the chain.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Don't we all put our kids on a diet of some kind? They learn from their parents what to eat, and how to eat. Whether we are teaching them to go to bed without eating, or all going out to McDonald's for a Happy Meal for dinner.....might taste good but not so nutritious.

One way or another we are teaching our kids about eating. I'd say anyone who has taken their kids to any fast food place is in the same boat as this Vogue editor...or should be. I'm not saying either is right. Probably both are wrong.
Obesity is an issue in many "Western" countries. Then again....so is the image of nearly...or fully... anorexic young females being the "norm" for beauty.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   
A chubby 7 year old is a good thing. Kids expand and contract as they grow. The child's weight at any age does not have much to do with how much they will weigh as an adult. Imagine learning as a 7 year old that children have no food in places like Africa, and at the same time you are being denied food. It confuses little minds.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by earthdude

What if you're that 7 year old African kid? Or were we only talking about the "white" folk here? Different places have different ideas of beauty and concepts of the social norms.

Denying your kid food is as bad as providing them with fast food, a gaming console and a computer.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream
When i see my nephew eating pizza before he goes to bed, i usually tell him not to do that because eating before bed makes your food stay in your body longer and make you fat

thats not true though

you shouldn't tell a 6 year old stuff you have just picked up from other idots without checking it out

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeadpoolPete

Originally posted by luciddream
When i see my nephew eating pizza before he goes to bed, i usually tell him not to do that because eating before bed makes your food stay in your body longer and make you fat

thats not true though

you shouldn't tell a 6 year old stuff you have just picked up from other idots without checking it out

please...enlighten us then. I'm curious myself..

what happens when you eat crap food right before bed time?? =l

from what i understand it MAY not make you fat but metabolism surely slows down a lot while you sleep and the last thing you want to do is make your body work while it's trying to repair itself
edit on 26-3-2012 by wlord because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dilligaf28
One could argue that the mother set up the daughter for future eating disorders; one could, with equal validity, argue that the mother "nipped" an eating disorder "in the bud" before the progression of that disorder went to far.

Overeating is as much of an eating disorder as anorexia. As someone that grew up obese and subsequently lost 135 pounds I side with the mother on this one. Perhaps if one of my relatives had taken this kind of decisive action my eating disorder would not have progressed to the point that I had 135 pounds to lose.

I agree that the mother was trying to be helpful, but I think she just went about it the wrong way. I think if she had just taught healthy eating and fun exercises, such as bike riding, jump rope, etc... that might have worked better than what she did. When you tend to outlaw certain foods, you tend to make someone want it more. That's all I'm saying.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Retikx
seriously.....

I mean really. This is what were discussing right now...

No one is forcing you to read, let alone comment. It was something that bothered me for the crazy way she went about it. If we can't have an adult discussion about topics of interest, then the terrorists won.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by happyhomemaker29

Originally posted by Dilligaf28

I agree that the mother was trying to be helpful, but I think she just went about it the wrong way. I think if she had just taught healthy eating and fun exercises, such as bike riding, jump rope, etc... that might have worked better than what she did. When you tend to outlaw certain foods, you tend to make someone want it more. That's all I'm saying.

I don't think she was trying to be helpful at all, I think she's a mean vindictive spiteful b word who has let the fashion industry influlence her to the point of passing it on to her child. I am not in anyway shooting what you say down, but I read another article about this woman violently (in her own words) "Ripped the cup from his hands and spill it down the sink", keep in mind the cruelty of taking her daughter for a hot chocolate and then to let this little girl watch her take it away, this woman knew that yes hot chocolate has a lot of calories, I knew that and I don't drink it, but the sadistic nature in taking this little girl for it and having this child see it taken a way like that, shows this woman is not nice, but a cruel person.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by webpirate
Don't we all put our kids on a diet of some kind? They learn from their parents what to eat, and how to eat. Whether we are teaching them to go to bed without eating, or all going out to McDonald's for a Happy Meal for dinner.....might taste good but not so nutritious.

One way or another we are teaching our kids about eating. I'd say anyone who has taken their kids to any fast food place is in the same boat as this Vogue editor...or should be. I'm not saying either is right. Probably both are wrong.
Obesity is an issue in many "Western" countries. Then again....so is the image of nearly...or fully... anorexic young females being the "norm" for beauty.

There's no reason in the world you can't go to McDonald's. As long as it's not an every day thing. I don't take my daughter more than twice a month, but I'm stopping that as my sister takes her almost all the time. My daughter thinks the four major food groups are fries, chicken nuggets, barbeque sauce, and ketchup. But then again she's a normal teen in that regard. What I can do as a parent is buy ketchup that isn't made with Corn Syrup, buy chicken breasts, and bread them myself and bake them, or make in a pan with Smart Balance cooking spray, and same with the fries, as well as using less salt. It's still her favorite thing to eat, just not as fattening or as salty and she doesn't have it every day.

When my husband was around she hated any vegetable that wasn't corn, peas, or green beans.
She saw me eating spinach, wanted a taste and now loves spinach, brussel sprouts, turnips, radishes, and alfalfa sprouts. That's just a small number of veggies. When I bought a raw veggie platter, she wanted to taste some, now she loves eating raw veggies with or without dip. Thanks to me, she loves humus as well. It's ok to eat healthy, and it's ok to have things that aren't healthy. Moderation is ALWAYS key. But not terror.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by luciddreamWhen i see my nephew eating pizza before he goes to bed, i usually tell him not to do that because eating before bed makes your food stay in your body longer and make you fat and he understood that. he is 6 yrs old.

Yet another myth with no credible science to back it up. The reason the child shouldn't be eating pizza before bed is because it'll more likely keep him awake. If he gets fat, it's because the child is eating a surplus of calories throughout the day/week, not because of meals before bed time.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join