It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I may be homeless, need advice

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Good luck to you! I myself am two weeks from being o.k. and three weeks from being homeless. Considering selling off what little I have left and hitching to the northern border. My two cats are all that keeps me from throwing in the towel. How sorry of a human being are you if you can't even take care of two cats. This constant stress and struggle is taking years off my life. I just want to get back to work again. I don't know how much longer I can hold out.

I have been looking into sites that list organic farms that will exchange work for room and board to see if I can find farms along the way to Canada. I figure I can map out libraries along the way and use their internet to try and get temporary work in exchange for food and a place to stay. Most people are willing to help if they know you are not a bum and you don't plan on staying in the area long.

I hope there is some retribution for the people who put us in this situation.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Apollo7
reply to post by 0thetrooth0

If you are in the USA..please apply for JOB CORPS Now!! They will give you room and board..It will be like a college dorm..You will have plenty of food and they will provide Transportation!! This is Federal Based Program..one of the best that I have ever seen. You can train to work with HOmeland Security, become a Forest Ranger..which I think is a great one..or do whatever you decide to do!! They will take you up to the age of 24..this is a chance!! Child..Please Hold ON!! I know the Struggle!! You can make it please have Faith!

This is what I was going to suggest too.

My nephew joined the Job Corp last year and is LOVING it! He was on a road that lead him no where and now he feels quite a bit of accomplishment already.

Good luck to you and blessings be upon you!!!!

Jenn

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Don't forget to mention about CIA recruiting job corp members...so you can become a spy...maybe help over throw some poor country, by going in and first checking it out and offering help and do some recon and organize the coup, if required, who knows, maybe be a chance to infiltrate the infiltrators

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Cmon Man! You can Do it! Your self confidence is ridiculous!

When i was 16, My step dad, kicked me out of my house. I lived in anchorage, Alaska at the time. I Survived for 6 months living in my car. I applied for a Job at Mc'donalds, Got the job.. Went to school, I took a shower there. After school i Would go to mcdonalds and study until 5:30. work til 2 in the morning. Sleep and Repeat. I finally got my own apartment ( Which was the scariest freaking place ever by the way). I moved up from mc'Donalds to Village inn (a restaurant). That is the place where i met my Wife. Anyways. We had Moved down to lake havisu arizona. Still making 12 bucks an hour. My son had been conceived. Which was a Break down for me because i had to find someway to support my new family comfortable. I moved, not my family, To chicago IL. Where i clerked at the board of trade during the day. and at 7pm i worked at Bennegans waiting tables. It only rose from there. I started a trading firm and i am living life VERY comfortably with my wife and 2 kids.
I only talked to my step dad 4-5 times since '89, When he kicked me out.

you Will not Survive, Let alone THRIVE if you have that mental attitude.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
You need the military or the job corps. If you think that is "too hard".....just wait till you are homeless in freezing weather, smelly, and hungry, always looking over your back.....THAT is hard. Also, you say you lack social skills...you will HAVE to deal with people (and maybe not so nice) on the streets. You have some money now, and some time....get going now. If you are too lazy to do that, well, whatever happens is your own fault. I wish I had $2000 to work with right now! I wish you the best........YOU are in control of your destiny.
If you DO nothing , you will HAVE nothing.....simple as that. No one can do that for you.
edit on 3/27/2012 by StealthyKat because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Join the service and let them give you the tools so you do not get into the current situation that you are in again. You can do a minimum of two years (National Call to service) in the states and get half your bennies.

I was in your shoes when i was 19. Moved out, didnt want anything to do with anyone. Thought i knew what i was doing (of course i clearly didnt) and then ended up getting in trouble with the law and losing all my money. The military taught me discipline and self respect and that seems to be the missing link with lots now a days.

Problem is, people dont realise that that is what they are missing and since they dont realise it, stubborn feelings take over and no one wants to listen.

You dont have to go fight a war.....dont let anyone tell you that. There are thousands of different jobs in the military that dont include fighting in war zones. Trust me, I WAS IN. Sorry, but sometimes is ignorance is bliss for people who like to make arguments and feel like they are right, especially pertaining to jopining the military.

Score good on the ASVAB (PreReq test) and you can choose from a large list of jobs. Dont tell me you're not smart and suck at taking test. Hunker down and study.

Nothing is handed to you. Grab life by the horns if you want something.

Alright im done. Words coming from a person who experienced it and became a better person from it.

THANKS! =)
edit on 27-3-2012 by mthgs602 because: messed up

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   

You have at least a year to prepare, so find a wooded area with a little piece of open land where you can go and dig a hole about the size of a prison cell and about 8feet deep. Dig your self a hole get some 4x4s to build a roof over your head to keep water off of you the hole should keep the wind from freezing to death in the winter. Find change on the ground to pay for the materials you need and maybe a cheap air mattress to sleep on and that will give you the shelter you need. Then start looking for a job if your not already and continue to collect change from the ground drive throughs usually have alot and use that money to buy yourself canned foods so you can eat. Other than that just keep faith in god and turn your problems over to him.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by isyeye

First....I don't mean to sound rude or anything.....but deal with your life. Everyone has trials and tribulations to go thru. Some are harder to deal with than others, but having a positive outlook, and facing your situation is the only way to progress thru life.

All of your "options" are just a method of escaping your problems. Figure a way to move thru them, whatever they may be. Things can always be worse.....and being homeless sure sounds worse to me.

Amen. Monastries generally won't accept applicants who are appearing to escape their lives, you need to have your whole live straightened out before applying and they do extensive background research.

I agree - whatever it is, deal with it and move on. There are nearly always alternate options. If you're looking for help with your situation, you need to post more details about what you'd like help with.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Johncarter12345

You have at least a year to prepare, so find a wooded area with a little piece of open land where you can go and dig a hole about the size of a prison cell and about 8feet deep. Dig your self a hole get some 4x4s to build a roof over your head to keep water off of you the hole should keep the wind from freezing to death in the winter. Find change on the ground to pay for the materials you need and maybe a cheap air mattress to sleep on and that will give you the shelter you need. Then start looking for a job if your not already and continue to collect change from the ground drive throughs usually have alot and use that money to buy yourself canned foods so you can eat. Other than that just keep faith in god and turn your problems over to him.

Faith in God never resolved anyone's problems. Any person's problems were only ever resolved by good old fashioned hard work.

A believe system may help you in that hard work, but God never did anything to help anyone.

"God doesn't help anyone who refuses to help themselves"

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   

How about join a commune or coop community where you can work, earn your keep and become a part of something. There are many variations on this life style not just the retro-hippy version. Some actually make good money and aren't even associated with religion. Key, you have to be willing to work and pull your weight.

Sleeping in a subway tunnel with rats is not as easy as it sounds.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Stay out of Austin, TX. It's awful, horrible climate, and is extremely overran with homeless people from all over the country coming to bum off of the wealthy hippies.

Here's an idea...instead of just giving up and saying "I'm going to be homeless..." How about you go get a job? Keep your job? Move to a new job? etc. Family is not what provides the shelter over your head, so your comment doesn't jive. A job takes care of everything you need; ANY job. Live within your means...if you make minimum wage, don't go out trying to get laid because if you wind up with a kid, you're screwed. Get a small apartment, a roommate, split the bills, shop at your local grocery store and don't eat fast food, stay active (swim) to avoid health problems, make smart choices and don't get speeding tickets/fines/etc., don't do drugs, find a cheap hobby that allows you time to think (like simple fishing), don't burn bridges with existing family or friends, make new friends and reconnect with old family, don't ask for favors from those friends and families, go to college!

I've been there man/girl; close to it at least, or so I thought. Keep your head up and work hard and opportunities will come along in their own time. If you have faith, pray...God will get you through the very worst of times with your head held high.

Okay, let's get on the same page:

How old are you?
What's your educational background?
What city do you live in?
What cities are you familiar with or have family in?
What's your work history?
What's your mental state?
Are you medicated?
Are you male or female?

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
To the OP, if you do end up homeless and are in the right area, I could provide you with information on a place that would be able to help you that is not your typical shelter by any means.

Feel free to message me privately if you wish.

Until then, I hope that things turn around for you.
edit on 27-3-2012 by AntoniusBlock because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Sorry to hear about your situation....I know ecxactly how it feels cause I've been there.I ended up being homeless for about few months due to some unfortunate circumstances.
It was cold outside and I had to nap in the subways and trains and I also did some od jobs like handing out flyers to people otside and made arround $50 buck for 7 hours.I use to grab food in a Pizza place where a mexican buddy was working and he was giving me free pizza.They also gave away all the Pizza's left over at the end of the day before closing.
That was some tough expirience for me which I dont wish on anyone but keep your head up and you will do fine.
By the way all this happen to me in NY City.Now I have roof over my head and a wife and kid and I am thankfull for that.
God Luck bud!

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
if its in a year save up as much money as u can... then rent an apartment.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Well, many people are in your position or much worse, not that that really helps, except for letting you realize you haven't been singled out by cruel fate.

I suppose I'm nearly in the same position due to being burned, getting addicted to pain pills and subsequently being (rightly so) the recipient of a drug felony and then (after going through treatment and probation) making the decision to take care of elderly, demented family members instead of pursuing a career when my siblings wouldn't bother and thus am in my forties with a felony, spotty job record, a near degree in a useless discipline, PTSD and no job after months of trying and facing rapidly dwindling resources... on top of that my gf of 18 years bailed (can't blame her) and 17 friends, family members and even my dog died in just under 2 years.

So I can feel sorry for myself and die or buck up and widen my job search to embarrasing positions I never dreamed I'd consider. As I'm certainly going to die anyway, I figure I'll try to live and see what happens. I would suggest you do the same and combat your social anxiety by reaching out in small steps until it gets easier.

There are many lonely, sweet people in the world... many more than the self centered viscious jerks that seem to garner all the attention. Find a few and you'll find some low key job away from crowds and you'll be fine... or so I tell myself : / Look at it as absolute freedom to do what you want, unfortunately, in this country, it's also absolute freedom to starve or die of the sniffles... I wish you luck though and leave you with the directive to find your local social services as it can't hurt and they may help with psych support/treatment and job leads.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   
go apply at one of the oil companies that are working in South Dakota. they are always hiring. it's coming up on the season where they hire the most, so look into it. also, Border Patrol is looking for all kinds of people, and they make upwards of $70,000 a year.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by johnlucchese

The library has computers and you can get online for free if you have a library card. Or like me you can salvage some piece of junk laptop someone didn't want and find the nearest hot spot or a wireless signal that has not been protected by a password. No money involved. Many of my local homeless spend the day at the library when the weather gets nasty. You don't have to have a dime to be on ATS trust me I know.

Jump off a roof? Really? I personally think the world could do with a few less judgmental people and a few more who are understanding of bad times. Bad times Happen to the best of us a some point or another. Do with that what you wish.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by 0thetrooth0
reply to post by wlord

I'm way to lazy for the military, but especially dont want to be a slave to someone or go fight fake wars and kill the enemy or should i say innocent people

Join the Coast Guard.

You don't have to worry about going to war, and the training is much easier than Army or Marines. Hell, it's easier than Air Force and Navy basic even, and thats easy.

Bottom line though, you need a friend or a life mentor much more than you need a job right now. With the confidence you'd get from that the job would take care of itself.

I know things can happen in life where you can lose your family, I myself have not spoken with my real father in about 15 years. I think a healthy friendship would do wonders for you.

The internet has made people less social, lots of lonely people out there as a result.

In fact, if you want to be a plumber I'll see about giving you a job. I need to hire a few new guys anyway.

But you have to move to Minnesota.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   

You sound like my middle son B, the one with 130 IQ.

Have you tried to get a job?

Why aren't you working?

I will tell you the same thing I told my sweet middle son, the one who has about 10 points (or more higher IQ then me) - get a job, share a apartment, even if it's a studio with a couple other people that work.

Don't drink, don't do drugs and stop smoking if you smoke.

At least a job, even at a McDonald's or Menard's, if you have a couple other guys that do not do drugs will have a roof over your head (dry, warm and a lock on the door).

I work with the homeless and I'm telling you, last year I lost a older man (homeless) - know how he died? While he was sleeping somebody or a bunch of somebodies came up and beat the heck out of him with probably steel baseball bats. It took him 12 hours to die and he did not look human, they beat him so bad he did not even look like a human. Once you fall asleep you are at the mercy of some pretty mean monsters out there - human monsters.

Why can't you work?

Tell us more about your situation please.

While I work at a homeless shelter twice a month, we are seeing more and more of our facility filling up so quick, there just isn't room now, and many were, just a few years ago, middle class.

My middle son complains of headaches and spine problems.
We offered to take him to any doctor of his choosing, any dentist, free of charge.
He has denied our help.

I've explained that my husband being 67 with a aorta valve replacement and me 59 with my job outsourced to India (I am retired but have worked and brought in money since ten and orphaned) we will soon be gone - within 15 years tops, we will no longer be able to offer assistance, we will be under six feet of earth and a distant memory.

Join the Peace Corps, See if you can get a job help farming, if your parents or anyone has offered to help you - accept their help and try to at least make enough to eat and have a safe, dry place to sleep.

Being homeless is not fun, it's dangerous and many of our homeless go missing - but, people don't want to hear about that.

As time goes on, there will be I predict no free handouts.............things are going to get really tight, really bad.

Prepare yourself, at least get a job unloading trucks at Walmart or learn a trade.

Would like to know your full situation, why you think you will be homeless soon and why you can't pull in some kind of money doing something (legally).

PS: You absolutely do not want to go to prison - nobody really knows what really goes on now and once you are in the federal system - you might as well kiss your sorry behind good bye. I don't trust our government not to experiment on prisoners not to mention I have heard stories about prison life.

Please respond back to my questions.

I wish you well, safe journey.
edit on 27-3-2012 by ofhumandescent because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join