It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I may be homeless, need advice

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I could possibly be homeless at the end of the week, and have no family to rely on. You on the other hand have more options than I at the moment, so you're not in that bad of a situation. Use your time wisely, and stay positive. Good luck.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   
If you want a super easy job, where you can be pretty darn lazy then become a school bus driver.

I was looking for some way to earn extra money while raising my kids and this worked out perfect for me. I work less than 3 hours a day, get paid for 5 hours and I can bring my preschool child with me.

They normally offer free training (8 hours/day for approx 3 weeks) with the promise that you will only work for them for a minimum of a year.

Here is the best part. After a year you can apply to drive in any municipality, it is the same licence whether you have kids on the bus or seniors.

For me, I will be going back to my former job when my youngest is in school full-time, but for you it just might be an easy out.

No matter where you live kids need to go to school and school bus drivers are ALWAYS in demand, if you can drive and have a decent abstract I would apply at the local company right now.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
If you do end up homeless, try and overcome the "3 meals a day" mindspace people tend to fall into when they are comfortable. You don't need to eat 3 times a day - it's a myth designed to make people overconsume so they can be controlled more easily. If you are one of those who thinks something terrible is going to happen to you because you missed a meal, you are going to suffer greatly living on the street.

Sure you will lose weight, but a lighter body is a more efficient body. It will not require as much energy to function. In tough financial times, would you continue to drive a gas guzzling V8, or would it make more sense to trade it in for something smaller?

I know those who believe in the medical industry will not agree with me on this, but they don't realize that their goal is to make as much money out of you as they possibly can. They have no intention whatsoever if creating a perfectly healthy population and putting themselves out of business, so given that their actual intention must be to harm you, I wouldn't listen to a word they say and instead learn to listen to your own body yourself.
edit on 26/3/12 by NuclearPaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Thanks for all your advice everyone.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   
I know you said it's embarrassing, but maybe if we knew more about your situation, we could give advice on how to fix THAT. Then, your problem would be solved at the source, instead of trying to find a way out. Not trying to be harsh or judgmental, but you sound more interested in running away and finding a place [monastery] you don't have to work for a living. Life can be a real pain in the ass, but if you don't fix them, some problems will follow where ever you go. There are good, intelligent people here. Let them help.
edit on 26-3-2012 by DAVID64 because: (no reason given)

If you do wind up homeless, make dental care a TOP priority. Gum disease can lead to infections of the heart and other organs.
edit on 26-3-2012 by DAVID64 because: (no reason given)
extra DIV

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by 0thetrooth0

Originally posted by Apollo7
reply to post by 0thetrooth0

If you are in the USA..please apply for JOB CORPS Now!! They will give you room and board..It will be like a college dorm..You will have plenty of food and they will provide Transportation!! This is Federal Based Program..one of the best that I have ever seen. You can train to work with HOmeland Security, become a Forest Ranger..which I think is a great one..or do whatever you decide to do!! They will take you up to the age of 24..this is a chance!! Child..Please Hold ON!! I know the Struggle!! You can make it please have Faith!

Thanks for reminding me about this. I didn't forget about this option, but I figured that after a few months there then I get a job and what If I get fired and then im back to square 1. Although the good thing is ill always have experience and a ceritificate
It sucks time is running out to apply there

For pete's sake you are already losing your job in your mind, before you ever get one. This is a sign of either BS or serious mental problems. You need to see a professional.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   
The military is a great option. Even if you don't believe in the cause, you can get GREAT job skills; the options open to you will be determined by how well you test on the ASVAB.

Just for an example, if you score high enough for intelligence, once you get out your making 6 figures as a DoD contractor, mainly because you'll have a TS/SCI clearance. With a clearance and a job skill you'll be gold to the big dogs like Northrop Grumman, Raytheon, Boeing, Lockheed Martin, etc.

Not only that, but you'll make great friends that will last a lifetime. Friends, you can call BROTHERS and count on to always be there for you.

Good luck dude, never give up

Semper Fi

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I changed my mind.
Go into the military. You need some help becoming more assertive.
Re reading that op makes me think you need some discipline in your life.
The military will help with that.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Well, since you have a year to go; brush up on your Lars Eighner. He was on the streets for years and ended up writing a book about it. It is pretty good. Goes into a lot of detail about how and where to find food, how to judge what is good or not, where to find shelter, etc...

Book

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Dude: BE HOMELESS! It's awesome.

Vagrant, transient, homeless, hobo... I've done the gig out of misplaced pride. First I had a sense of absolute loss. How do I get out of the rut without sacrificing my all-consuming pride? After a week without, rationing out the few dollars I had for meager food, I began the dumpster diving process. Found a lot of stuff I wish I hadn't. Ate a lot of stuff I probably shouldn't have. Began to find out that junk food out of a Greyhound trashcan was a bit idiotic when there was a Spaghetti Warehouse down the road. Oddly, the homeless I was running with were a superstitious lot and wouldn't really go near the place, so I got dibs on that dumpster. Good eating.

Step 1: Secure your food source.

IT's the city. Even if it's freezing outside there are warm places to go. On freezing nights, you could warm up on a recently driven car hood or maybe be lucky enough to find a burning barrel (barrels stuffed with burnables that get lit up in dark alleys for communal warmth and security light). Still, you need protection from the elements, so after finding a reliable food source, find shelter. Some use a box, some line their clothing with newspaper and just sleep on the street, some find a shelter with room. Believe it or not, a lot of us chose to leave the shelters for those that needed it more. I found that many of the homeless had given up on themselves, not necessarily anyone else. There was a sense of integrity. I found a few underpasses and used the one that had least wind. You won't always need the shelter but it's good to have it. There is a system that I saw used, though I never did. The homeless would rack up tickets for minor things then 'redeem' them on bad nights at the police station.

Step 2: Find shelter for when you need it.

Step 3: Plan. You need some money to get off the street. If that's what you want. You might prefer the freedom. It's an acquired taste. Still, beg for change, pick up cans and sell them, take odd jobs (see a guy sweeping, offer to do it for five dollars.) Be creative. Put back a few bucks for a clean shirt and slacks, tie and shoes. (Available at a resale shop for about 10-15 dollars total.) Also, go to the post office and get a PO box. Grab a discarded news paper, start applying for general labor jobs, or work the Labor Pool if your city has one. Wash where you can... truck stops are great, gas stations, etc... keep a backpack with your personal effects. Deodorant, soap, toothbrush. No need to be unhygienic. Work your way up until you can afford a place of your own.

Things to note. You'll find people are a great deal more generous than you would expect, but there are some that are a great deal more viscious than you would believe. Be careful. Not having a cel phone is more difficult than you'd think, especially when trying to find a job. Don't be afraid to call THEM every once in a while. Use the public library computers to communicate via email.

If you're at the bottom, there's only one direction you can go. Up. Use that to your advantage and see it as a 'reset' button. YOu can rebuild yourself.

THis is all based on that fact that you were, against your will, forced into nothingness.

MANY of the homeless are there because they want to 'fall off the grid'. THey won't carry a license or ID, won't identify themselves to authority, and refuse to be a part of the tax system. If THAT is what you want, I can't help you. If you expect to hit rock bottom and don't wanna stay there, the above list is a good how-to on pulling yourself out of the hole. Questions?

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Just walk the earth ! You know, like Kane on Kung fu ? j
Just walk'in the earth from town to town gett'in in adventures and mess'in up dumbass rednecks.

Wait ! Alright that comes after the monastary.

edit on 26-3-2012 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

Start play'in pool. And make an absolute decision to be the best who ever lived. And just walk the earth.
edit on 26-3-2012 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   
I'm rather shocked at some of the replies - but others have provided good advice so it all balances out.

If you DO end up homeless:

* Be streetsmart - If you DO end up homeless, you've got to wise up fast. Some people will try and abuse you. Walk away. Learn to spot trouble before it reaches you.

* Learn to salvage and teach yourself a few skills. Learn to sew, make fires and storage items (for water and food) - find some waterproof bags or satchels and store some spare clothes inside. Store stuff.

* Haggle with other people. - Trade cigarettes or useful items such as lighters, toiletries and such for things you may need such as food or clothing

* Learn to juggle or paint or play a harmonica - this might earn you a little bit of cash for food.

* Use public restrooms to wash, brush your teeth and change your clothes.

* Charity shops sell cheap clothes. Even in the UK I could get a new jumper or coat for less than £5.

* BETTER YOURSELF - You need ambition, a strong mind and an even stronger soul to survive - don't get involved with gangs or drugs or alcohol - pool your resources and use your intelligence. Just because you are homeless does not mean you cannot apply to help in a restaurant, you can still use public soap and wash basins and buy a cheap shirt - try and better yourself by not being a cliche, but by striving for improvement,

Good luck.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Are you serious? As soon as a year or maybe a few years?!?!

Do like everybody else does. Get a job, rent an apartment or house, buy groceries......

Maybe I don't get the question?

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by khimbar
If you're going to be this needy and whiny and feeling sorry for yourself while you're on the streets you'll be dead in a week. You'll be easy meat and fresh pickings.

That's how it is, flame away.

Whole thread smacks of attention seeking to me anyway.

Right?!

Oh, look at me. I am 21 and only have $2000 and will probably be homeless in a few years......

Why get a job because I will only get fired and be back where I started.sob,sob.....

I can't believe how many people just say get on assistance or welfare....

How about.......Get a freak'in job and support yourself?!?!?!?!

Christ! Is this what people are evolving to?
edit on 26-3-2012 by mwood because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   

WHAT IF you cross the street and get hit by a car???? You can't live a life of what ifs. Hope for the best, plan for the worst. Quit looking for excuses to fail and look for reasons to succeed. It's ALL in your head friend. Change your attitude, change your life.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Personally, I'd recommend the Military. You sound to have a bit of trouble in that background..so the Air Force may be too picky. No offense to the Army guys, but they get every dirty job the nation is handed...so Not the first pick. Marines would sure do something about any assertiveness issues... lol..

Realistically, if you have the ability by background, I'd go Navy. You get all the training and college later, likely never hear a shot fired in anger and certainly get your horizons broadened.

If not the military and since I didn't see the details in the OP that got snipped...planning for homelessness is a rather rough way to look at things. I didn't see the whole thread or catch your age, but Job Corp or even the Peace Corp are other long term, residential-paid type programs you could get a lot out of and avoid the street at the same time. Think positive and look wider. Options are out there..especially for the adventurous.

If you're REALLY adventurous, healthy and REALLY want away from it all...I'd note there is one main agency that handles recruiting and placement for summer work at the Antarctic Science stations. I'm not being funny...I almost did it back when I was 21 but chose trucking instead. Even the end of the earth needs someone to mop the floors and clean the commodes. The scientists sure aren't doing it at a big station.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   
I have read a few pages here,op,and I will give you my two cents worth,if that is worth anything at all.

I started college when I was 17 years old ,financed through student loans and grants.
I wasted it all on partying.
6 months later,I was thrown out of the dorms and living out of my car for about a week.
Hooked up with some friends I had made,managed to get a space in a house with about 5 guys with a foam pad on the floor.
I was lucky and spoiled at the time,but woke up to what life could be like if I didn't get my sh!t together..
After about 6 months,I went to the unemployment office,got a job laying brick ..

The foundation I was helping to build was for a new fast food restaurant.
I met the owner of that restaurant and got a job with them as they're maintenance person.
Worked my way up through everything they had to offer.
Then,I had enough of the grease,decided to apply for financial aid and went back to college.
After 3 years and many part time jobs,I got a degree in applied electronics.

I was 22 when I got that degree,and now I am 47 years old,with a wife and kids,big house and financially secure.

Don't ever sell yourself short,the world is yours to take,if so desired.

edit on 26-3-2012 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   
No pity party here bubba! YOU control your own destiny! I have been where you are now more than once! There are jobs out there! If you lose one, you look for another one. You get knocked down, you get up again! Every time you get back up, you get tougher! A defeatist attitude will get you nowhere! As was stated before, get off the computer and start looking for a job! Clean yourself up and present a good image of yourself! You are absolutely not the only one that has been down this road before my friend. Stay positive and keep your head up! Things will get better, I promise, I am living proof of that!

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Dude, wtf? "I'm 21 and my life is over. Which trash bin should I throw it in?". So you have some social anxiety, big deal. Let me give you my experience briefly, followed by a bit of advice.

Upon completing 8th grade (at age 14), my parents decided they didnt like the school system and pulled me out. They promissed me they would enroll me in home schooling. Even though i harrassed them a lot about it, they always gave me some excuse as to why they couldnt right then, so they put it off and it never happened. We moved at the time they pulled me out. They told me not to go outside during the day cause they would get into trouble for not having me in school. Then they told me i wasnt allowed to have friends because they might tell someone at school and they would get in trouble. I became a hermit in my room (this is pre internet btw). I read, taught myself how to play music, etc..

After i was legal to quit (16) i continued my hiding because at this point, i didnt know how to deal with society anymore. I was scared of people. I continued hiding in my room until i was 19, a total of 5 years. During that time, i didnt know anyone, and those are important years (i think). It seems that high school is more about social aspects than anything else.

Finally, i said "enough". I put in an application at a fast food place, the only application I submitted anywhere. I was very depressed and given my situation, felt it was the only type of job i might be able to get. I got the job, then went and got my GED. I then paid tuition to community college, and paid my parents rent. My parents had to drive me to college, and made me pay gas money. I obtained my learners driving permit, and asked my mom to let me drive to college each day. She said, "no, because your permit says you have to be in the car with a licensed driver, and i never got my drivers license."

Going to school was great at first, and i even made the Deans Honor list, but i became even more depressed because I still couldnt make any friends. I decided to take a break from school after about a year to try and get my own car,since my parents would not let me drive theirs or get my license. I found that you cant buy a car from a dealer without a lisence. Catch 22. My stepfather said i could buy a car in his name, so we did that. I made payments on that car for two years, finally paying it off, and still not allowed to drive it because" it was in his name". I finally got my license when i was like 22 or so.

After working the fast food thing for a few years, i got a job in a hotel as night auditor. Doing this job for a few years forced me to become more natural in dealing with people. The hotel thing stuck and i worked for several of them, eventually getting a job as a General Manager. I am still" not quite right" as a result of all the bs i had to deal with. The loneliness and depression, etc.

Anyway, I dont know what your" rare" circumstance is, but i can tell you, I think i was intentionally held down and I didnt go homeless. Okay, thanks for the pity party. You have gotten some good advice in here already, but i have my two bits to add.

Get a job in customer service, ven if its at night. This will force you out of your shell. A job like night stocking or something is going to reinforce your fear of people. Just buckle down and get yourself out there. Thinking about it is worse than doing it, I promise.

Sorry about any typos, doing this on my phone.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   
20gs??? buy a camper and pay 5 years worth of camping dues... it is safe to say that in 5 years or less the US will be economically void and ull have a nice lil piece of prop you can call yours.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join