It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I may be homeless, need advice

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by mikem

I'm not 'supporting' anyone, the guy asked for advice and I think he's taking a step in the right direction by doing so. I've worked my butt off myself, and still ended up in a bad situation. I don't think you have enough information to be making character assasinations on a forum, much less reccomending the guy commit suicide. I'm glad the staff removed that garbage, too bad the OP probably saw it. What if he took your advice, would you feel a little better about it? Jesus.

To the OP:
Too lazy to join the military isn't going to do you any good, if you're going to be homeless, you're going to have to step up your game and work, even if that work translates to hauling firewood to a campsite and foraging for food. It's not something you're going to get out of unless you win a lottery or turn to crime. Admitting that you're lazy is respectable though, think of it as a first step in a recovery process.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   
How is suicide a viable option? I feel you chose this option because it is the epitome of laziness , “I don’t have to do anything because I am dead, oh what I might have to do uncomfortable stuff in hell..”. Really? I don’t mean to sound insensitive but none of that makes sense.

It sounds like you’re a young guy who has no one and just does not know what to do. Again, as others have pointed out, we lack a lot of important details but it sounds like you lack direction and you are too lazy to do anything about it. How about move to Hawaii and live on the beach, free coconuts?

Unless there is some serious crime you are being charged with and you are planning to vanish (which might be a likely possibility), I suggest you do what you have to do. There are programs in place to help you out and to feed/house yourself.

If you chose to refuse all suggestions here by your fellow members, maybe go take a look into the Survival forum, maybe some tips on foraging or something in the forest.

I wish you the best of luck.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
A friend of mine had her flat tire changed by a guy at an intersection off of a busy highway exit ramp holding up a sign ask for $. He told her that he was an engineer at a defense company and got laid off. He said he makes about as much begging as he did as an engineer.

Wish you well whatever you decide.

You know I wonder how many people commit crimes just to get a roof and food in the US?

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by 0thetrooth0

I'm a 21 year old male.
As of now, I have about 2000 US dollars.
Unfortunately, no friends or family I can count on.

Now is the time when you make a family of your friends. Do not keep to yourself. Become part of something. Joining the military may cause you to have regrets later. Give much to those you love and you will never want for a home.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by 0thetrooth0

I dont like playing the hand i got dealt dam ...

Here's the deal you were dealt your hand for a reason and that is to learn something from it. If you avoid it you will get dealt it again in the next life. You may not believe in reincarnation but it is a proven fact. reluctant-messenger.com...

Even if you kill your self you will get sent right back into similar circumstances till you overcome what you need to. So you might as well face your problems now or you will just keep getting them until you do even if it takes several lifetimes. Don't like your hand you were dealt? Then overcome it and you will get a new hand some hands are better then others. That goes for within your lifetime too.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   

go military see the world and get paid for it.
Astro Van gets good mileage but its crowded Know what I mean, Vern!

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by earthdude

Originally posted by 0thetrooth0

I'm a 21 year old male.
As of now, I have about 2000 US dollars.
Unfortunately, no friends or family I can count on.

Now is the time when you make a family of your friends. Do not keep to yourself. Become part of something. Joining the military may cause you to have regrets later. Give much to those you love and you will never want for a home.

Be a mooch, it sounds like the guy has some pride.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by rebellender

Aw, you just pissed about the military thing. I say work your ass off and give it away, it will come back, don't mooch.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Join the military for medical training,Air Force if possible.
Stay away from combat arms.You don't need to deal with Army or Marines,you don't appear to be self assertive and killing might hurt your mind.Maybe medical,Lab assistant would be optimal.But you must accept boring as a circumstance of life.Get better at doing things you DON'T like.It's only a few years but it sure will change you.
I guess what would be the question is what do you love to do?
Move to the place that does that,go by bus.Chicago to me is like New York as far as dangerous environments go,not to mention cold weather.
Being from a big city ,you may be shocked at how slower life is in the south,not so rushed or forced,just (for you) a bit boring.Also you'll survive the zombie invasion/Gov't martial law/earth calamity thing better than being in a major city.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
OK my advice as someone who has been homeless.

IF you end up with no other choice...

Don't wait until you have no money left, and don't just be a bum and give up on life. Don't get involved with street kids, or any homeless gangs. Homeless travelers are OK to hook up with as they are on the move, and won't cause you to become apathetic stuck in one place.

Travel, hitch-hike, yes you can do that, I did it many times traveling all over the US, lots of people still hitch-hike. Just be smart about it. I was picked up by old ladies! Mostly to give me a god lecture but it's a ride. Head for the west coast, more tolerant to travelers than the east.

Get out there and see the country, meet people, you will be surprised what happens. I was offered many jobs, stayed at peoples houses, given cash, food etc. If you tell people you are traveling to find work they will respect you and sympathise with your situation. There is nothing worse than a bum who is in good physical condition standing on the street corner with their hand out.

In the summer there are lots of festivals, lots of hippie types on the road who will pick you up going that way, you can often find ways to get in for free. For example I went to the High Times festival in Oregon back in the 90's, when I was homeless and traveling, I was with a buddy who had a car though at this one. Anyway he had this big cooler so we went a purchased a bunch of cheap beer with the last of our cash, we carried the cooler right through the vendors entrance, when the guard stopped us we said we were delivering supplies and he let us in.
We stayed inside for three days, sold all our beer and made profit. We eat food for free, as there was so much uneaten food always around.

There are Rainbow gathering, free food, the national lasts almost a month with set up and clean up, help and you can eat for free for a month and have a good time. They have up to 50,000 people at these and there is no law, no trouble. Screw the straight world mate, find the alternatives.

www.welcomehome.org...

So you can have fun and look for work. No reason to give up life because you're homeless.

BTW I am not homeless anymore, I got a job and stayed put 14 years ago. Now I'm on disability and can't travel anymore or I would, I would rather do that than be stuck in one place, that is boring to me. I envy you.

Edit; I did the military thing, for six years, its why I ended up homeless in the first place. Well partly by choice, I wanted to travel.

edit on 3/26/2012 by ANOK because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Grow up and be a man,listen sometimes things get tough -real tough.Stick with it and get your act together Reach for the Stars man,but the crap you are spouting out,maybe you need to bite a bullet if you think that those are your only options (thin out the sheeple right?) Look try to get yourself some reliable transportation 1st (at least you can get somewhere and sleep in it if you had to right) there is your start but do not throw that Hail-Mary Pass until the bitter end -----GOOD LUCK

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   

I see jail and the military in your given set of options. If jail is a present option, don't expect the military to save you. If however, you are just theorizing about jail, the military may just be the best thing that can happen to you.

Just remember, that if you're looking for options just to run from something, it will always find you eventually and may in fact find you at a point when you have more to lose. Deal with it head on and you will be able to survive anything rather than have it haunt you forever.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Green Eyed Leo said IT! Get off your duckus and get out of the house.

Being homeless will be more work than you think. Always searching for a place to sleep, eat, bath, and good luck finding a bathroom in a public place. No down time ever. Always in protective and self security mode. More work than you have EVER been exposed to.

Set goals, even if they are small ones. Tomorrow, get out of the house. Go to stores that have bulletin boards, see how other people are struggling just to make ends meet. Observe! Go to a busy restaurant, ask to wash dishes for a day to get a meal. Get the yellow pages from your mom's telephone book, look at all the kinds of businesses listed. Then examine yourself! What is it you would like to do? Go to the library and get a copy of "What color is your parachute?" Do the exercises to become self aware. There is nothing like the feeling of getting up to go to work at a job your really really love. It doesn't feel like work at all. Like clubs and music then find one and ask to do bar back or cleanup, work your way up. Know the only way to reach the top is to take the first step at the bottom of the ladder.

OMG, to be in your shoes again? No ties or connections, Peace Corps would be ideal. Not ready for a year or two commitment? Go VOLUNTEER at a soup kitchen and see how the other half lives. Go to an active church and get involved, you will be surprised where it will lead you. Better yet commit to volunteering for just one week at your local Red Cross or Salvation Army. Ask to be sent to disaster relief areas. If you have been on ATS then you know there are areas in real need of a warm body just to help pick up the pieces so they can rebuild. Give of yourself, it will come back to you tenfold and better. You have been given so much to have lived this long as comfortably as you have. Now, give back to your family and show them you can become anything you dream.

It comes down to two things....faith that all is NOT hopeless, create your own HOPE. And willingness to better your own situation. Set a goal and you instantly have hope, something to look forward to, something that needs you there to make it happen. I have faith in you. You just got to want it for yourself. Its alot easier to work toward a goal and create an existence. You will come to realize the energy you have already spent worrying over how not to ever have to do anything ever, takes far more out of you than getting out there and doing something. Run errands for the elderly in your neighborhood, it's an aging populace, everyone could use a gopher this and a gopher that. Some little old lady needs her gutter cleaned for spring, and her shurbs raked and trimmed. Heck do it for free just to feel good you did something that was important, maybe not to you but bet it will be to her! Her son may be impressed and have something at his shop for you to do, you never know, like I said it will come back tenfold or better.

Sorry so long, but I was there in your shoes once upon a time. Find your bootstraps boy, and get up get wet and get out there! (Get up take a shower and get out of the house, my mantra for years now). We all have been faced with what the heck will I do with my life, be true to yourself, but know you must do something, so start by doing for somebody else if you can't do it for yourself just yet.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I am literally disgusted at the attitude shown to this guy. He is patently infected with a deep rooted defeatist attitude and telling him to kill himself or otherwise talking down to him like he is worthless will NOT help resolve the problem.

Those of you egotistical enough to tell him to grow up, you grow up!

He can succeed but he is powerfully self limited and he needs to break free from this.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   

what country are you living in...

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

US

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   

I may be homeless, need advice

I suggest the military as the first, best option you suggested. That isn't to say that better ones don't exist... but these were your choices and we'll stick to them for the purpose of this post/reply.

The military isn't all bad. You learn a lot of really good things that follow you through life... like self reliance, finishing what you start, self confidence, how to make tough decisions in tough times and then, how to stand firm with those decisions.

The pay sucked when I was in but... if you're single, it's not bad. Free food and shelter, a steady income... a few perks and then your paycheck is pretty much yours to do as you please. The downside is that at any moment, someone may begin shooting at you... but, that is maybe more survivable than life on the streets.

Best of luck

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   

The first thing to do is get a Van..in the van get some camping gear a fridge a cooker and water storage.The difference between a homeless person and a Holiday Camper, is very subtle.For money just follow the fruit picking.As you wont have to pay rent or utilities the money stays in your back pocket.When its cold up north move south.Use your head as to where to park up for the night,some camping spots are free.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   
head for california.

start over

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join