I may be homeless, need advice

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Hi,

I may be homeless as soon as a year or as late as a few years. It's not because of losing a job or getting kicked out of parents house or anything...
I pretty much have 4 options: Be homeless, join military, end up in jail, [SNIP] or join a Catholic monastery..

I prefer the last of those options, even if I dont believe I think it's good because I will never have to worry about if I have a roof over my head or about food or getting sick, etc. I'm pretty much good for life if I join a monastery.

I'm mainly looking for advice on guides or tips on how to survive being homeless.

When one has no house or family or job or anything one pretty much ends up being homeless, but I realized there are alternatives like the options mentioned.. I would also appreciate if you have any other alternatives I forgot to mention.. I also need advice on which one I should pick.

Thanks.

Mod note: Removed inappropriate subject matter.
edit on 3/26/2012 by AshleyD because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Find a big city with public transportaion, plasma centers and blood banks for money, food kitchens and a mild climate.

Find your own shelter because homeless centers would pretty much suck I think.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Why such a defeatist attitude. It sounds as if you have a minimum of a year, maybe more, to rectify your situation.

Why, may I ask, do you presume you will be homeless.

Des

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

I prefer not to say.. its quite embarissing. It's a rare situation I find my self in.
edit on 26-3-2012 by 0thetrooth0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by 0thetrooth0
reply to post by Destinyone

I prefer not to say.. its quite embarissing. It's a rare situation I find my self in.
edit on 26-3-2012 by 0thetrooth0 because: (no reason given)

Well...without any background data to form opinions to answer your dire question...guess I'm at a loss.

I wish you well in whatever path you decide on.

Des
edit on 26-3-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by 0thetrooth0

First....I don't mean to sound rude or anything.....but deal with your life. Everyone has trials and tribulations to go thru. Some are harder to deal with than others, but having a positive outlook, and facing your situation is the only way to progress thru life.

All of your "options" are just a method of escaping your problems. Figure a way to move thru them, whatever they may be. Things can always be worse.....and being homeless sure sounds worse to me.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I knew a chef that lived in Colorado, near yellowstone. he lived for 8 months out of a tent up a hill/mountain behind the restaurant he was working at. He was able to do this because he had foresight into what he would need (he was already the outdoors type). Tent, proper winter layers, the means to be hygienic (shovel for poop holes, billy buckets and a camel pack for an easy shower w/ camp suds). He had the means to communicate via crank 2 way 10 channel radio. These were some of the tools he needed to maintain, he also had a -30 degree sleeping bag with a cot. He stocked up before it happened. He invested in a career he could maintain anywhere he decided to go. He was able to travel, which was good for him.

I personally wish I could cut ties with some of the things I have going on right now. I'm in school so I can get into school. I've already completed some schooling, and will probably need more than I can foresee. You can usually get a Culinarian certificate within about a year of school (I'm sure that there are some options in your area, and if not I'm sure you can get training in a local restaurant if you are honest & hardworking and explain your circumstances).

Living without paying for utilities and rent you can save money pretty quickly. I think you'd be surprised especially if you don't live far from work and don't have to pay money or gas to get there. Live like that for a few years in a moderate climate, you'll have some serious money to do something with. Working in a restaurant will help feed yourself too.

I'm sure there are other ways, but if I were to become homeless and lose all the material things in my life ( which I'm about tired of) that is how I would do it. Good luck.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Without knowing your story it is hard to give solid advice...

What are you embarrassed for anyways? Never be ashamed of your life! And anyhow, you will never meet any of us face to face, at least not in this world anyways =)

i'm sure there are near infinite options available to you other than your short list there. You just need to figure out how to make them happen.

Cheers!
edit on 3/26/12 by soulshn because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   
grab a shopping cart to tote all of your belongings.. make sure you grab one that doesn't have the sticky wheels. Unless of course you are wanting to travel a little lighter, a nice backpack might serve just fine.
Get an old milk container and keep that full of drinking water. Stay hydrated.
Look for change on the ground always.(this trick works to your favor more often than you would think)
Once you have enough change, buy yourself some food.
Cardboard makes for good warm cover, just stay away from water(rain, etc.)
Layer your clothing. take some off if too hot, add more if too cold. (again, wet clothes are bad.)
I am sure all of this is no big news to you, but seeing that you have at least a year to plan, just thought I would help you out with some daily basics.

good luck!

baka.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Try public assistance and public housing process for about 2to 3 months. I hope this helps to atleast get you some shelter until you find employment.. GOOD LUCK 0thetrooth0
edit on 3/26/12 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Im sure there are many members that would like to help out, including myself, but not knowing certain things will prevent this, including whether or not you are male or female.

There are lots of shelters for women, but the men's shelters are harder for men to deal with, so the tent option may come in handy. Its sounds like your already about to give up, so also knowing if you can save money in the time allotted, or may have other options, such as staying at a friends house for a while is relevant.

Without any of those things all I can do is wish you luck!

Peace, NRE.

+8 more 
posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Get off the computer... stop fappin... stop watching tv... work your ass off... day and night... stop hanging out with losers... if you want to do well hang around people that do well

Fake it till you make it

If you cant wonder them with wisdom, Baffle them with bullsh@t.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Where can I go if the weather becomes too cold or too hot. I live about an hour south of Chicago. Sometimes in the winter it gets below 0. It's impossible to be outside and survive when it's so freakin cold. In the day i can go to the library, but where can i go at night if the weather becomes too hot or too cold to deal with?

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
People are homeless because they don't have a job and no money.

How you can know that you will be homeless "as soon as in one year or a few years" is absolutely beyond me, unless you already have already decided about your life and totally gave up on it.

There is a saying which i a like, it's "Look at the solution NOT at the problem"

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   

I pretty much have 4 options: Be homeless, join military, end up in jail, suicide or join a Catholic monastery..

I'm curious why "get a job" isn't on the list? Don't believe all the hype, there are jobs out there. They may not be on your "A" list, but it beats being homeless.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   
No offense intended here, but it's hard to be sympathetic without knowing your situation.

I know people are saying it's hard to get a job, but it's really not. If you have a decent record and can pee clean you should be able to get a job in a day. Might not be CEO of Nike or whatever, but I know for a fact you can get a minimum wage job at a fast food join, gas station, car wash, call center, etc, easily and quickly, unless you live way out in the woods or something.

My advice? Same as others here, get off the computer, get outside, actually VISIT potential employers instead of making a few phone calls and calling it a day. I'm not saying this is what you're doing, only that I have witnessed a multitude of people who claim to be "trying hard" but never leave their basements when job searching.

If you really can't get a job for some crazy reason, there are a lot of ways to supplement your income on your own. Figure them out.

Anyway, it sounds like your fate is already sealed in your own mind - so what you predict might be exactly what happens without a change in perspective. Get your chin up, suck in your gut and push out your chest, go kill a few job interviews and see if something works out for you.

Good luck, hope you avoid homelessness.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Where can I go if the weather becomes too cold or too hot. I live about an hour south of Chicago. Sometimes in the winter it gets below 0. It's impossible to be outside and survive when it's so freakin cold. In the day i can go to the library, but where can i go at night if the weather becomes too hot or too cold to deal with?

You are completely disregarding some excellent replies to your OP. But, to answer this question. Move to a better year round milder climate.

Des

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by NoRegretsEver
Im sure there are many members that would like to help out, including myself, but not knowing certain things will prevent this, including whether or not you are male or female.

There are lots of shelters for women, but the men's shelters are harder for men to deal with, so the tent option may come in handy. Its sounds like your already about to give up, so also knowing if you can save money in the time allotted, or may have other options, such as staying at a friends house for a while is relevant.

Without any of those things all I can do is wish you luck!

Peace, NRE.

I'm a 21 year old male.
As of now, I have about 2000 US dollars.
Unfortunately, no friends or family I can count on.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   

take a night job stockin shelves.. or shoveling crap.. anything.. I use to.. i've been homeless and I've lived in chicago..

maybe you should catch a train south where it is warmer..

if it is just you.. then move.. and follow the wisdom of my prior post

+6 more 
posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   

If you are in the USA..please apply for JOB CORPS Now!! They will give you room and board..It will be like a college dorm..You will have plenty of food and they will provide Transportation!! This is Federal Based Program..one of the best that I have ever seen. You can train to work with HOmeland Security, become a Forest Ranger..which I think is a great one..or do whatever you decide to do!! They will take you up to the age of 24..this is a chance!! Child..Please Hold ON!! I know the Struggle!! You can make it please have Faith!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join