It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3.1 Quake in VA March 25

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 07:33 AM
link   
People 15 miles north of me are claiming to have felt & heard this....I was awake, didn't know anything about it until I woke up this morning to the "news". Granted, it wasn't a deep one, less than 5 miles, so it's very possible that it was heard & felt 50 miles from the epicenter. For most of us here on ATS this is a baby, I sat through bigger living on Oahu. ....waiting for the real one, have a feeling this was a foreshock.

Magnitude 3.1 Virginia

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 07:44 AM
link   
I am more than 90 miles from the epicenter, didn't feel a thing, but I was sleep at the time. I felt the bigger one last year though. I also feel that this was a fore shock, today might be an interesting Monday!

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by claireaudient

waiting for the real one, have a feeling this was a foreshock.

I hope you are wrong but you may be right. I have never been in an earthquake seen a lot of video though. Stay safe.
There was a 7.something in Chile yesterday plus the one in Mexico last week.

The gods are angry with us.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   

I was sitting with my husband on the sofa last night looking at something on his iPad and a wave of vertigo hit me. It only rolled over me once. I said to him I think a quake is coming. He didn't scoff because he's starting to get odd feelings in conjunction with quakes too. We both probably always have, but never thought to connect them to quakes. For about a week now I have been feeling a deep hum coming from somewhere. I feel it sort of rattling my ., lol, more than actually hearing it. Its a very deep low subtle "thing" . I cant even call it a hum precisely. I've been trying to work through possible causes. With the change of seasons and corresponding change in neighborhood activity it's been challenging trying to eliminate or identify manmade sources. My animals seem fine but they aren't always an indicator. The cats always seem surprised and oblivious. It's the dog I watch. She seems ok but is acting nervous in open fields again.

Edit to add: whoa, I just went to the linked site. Did the quake happen at 11:21? That's about the time the vertigo hit me!

edit on 26-3-2012 by SheeplFlavoredAgain because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by LittleVoice731
I am more than 90 miles from the epicenter, didn't feel a thing, but I was sleep at the time. I felt the bigger one last year though. I also feel that this was a fore shock, today might be an interesting Monday!

I didn't feel the quake last August but was driving from Richmond. My fiance called asking if I'd felt "it", I asked, "Felt what?" he replied, "The quake!". He's a big practical joker so I immediately thought he was pulling my leg but his 2 boys still living at home had called him at work in a panic - things had jumped off of shelves - he didn't feel it either, was on a steamroller at the time LOL

waiting for the real one, have a feeling this was a foreshock.

I hope you are wrong but you may be right. I have never been in an earthquake seen a lot of video though. Stay safe.
There was a 7.something in Chile yesterday plus the one in Mexico last week.

The gods are angry with us.

Yes, the Chile quake was a 7.1, that'll set ya to rock n rollin!!
Personally I'm hoping for an active Monday, so very tired of the "here it comes, hang onto your hats!". Just do something already!!

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 08:04 AM
link   
My sister lives in the epicenter of these quakes. It's a real shame that the media isn't covering these as they should. Since August of last year, they have had nearly one hundred after shocks. Even FEMA has been there asking people to report damages to their homes. Getting quake insurance is difficult because there has to be no quakes for 25 days or so until you can purchase a rider on your existing insurance policy.

Many people have suffered damages to their homes. One man's house was moved two feet off its foundation. Many people's chimneys have collapsed. My sister's chimney collapsed and they are noticing cracks in their walls. Their hardwood floors have also buckled in some spots.

Not to mention how the officials have reported that there is radioactive isotopes found in the ground water in Louisa, but they are staying mum on the fact that the power plant is a cause of this. They're saying that it was something else. What?? Let's not forget that in the early 90s, the state of Virginia removed the earthquake sensors in the nuclear power plant to "save money" (another: What??). The power plant is now up and running, but I've not heard a word about whether or not the sensors have been replaced.
edit on 26-3-2012 by Afterthought because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by SheeplFlavoredAgain

Apparently 11:21pm EST was the time. As I stated before, I was awake, laying in bed, never felt or heard a thing but having been through bigger quakes I expect to really hear a rumble long enough to ask myself "WTH?" before feeling it. I haven't had an overwhelming feeling of....well, anything, as I have in the past for days prior to an event.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

Unless it shakes the White House to it's foundations or does damage to one of the monuments nothing's going to be reported. Last years quake was an anomaly, the MSM now considers it "old news". Your sister isn't terribly far from me, if a bigger shaker hits & there's a need we could combine resources for food & shelter.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   

I have felt shaking from a couple of aftershocks from the August VA quake over here in MD but generally I do not feel them or track them in the quake sites. I definitely did not feel last night's quake in the conventional way. Vertigo seems the only way I relate to quakes too far for me to feel otherwise. I'm not normally a vertigo sufferer. I've been checked out thoroughly by my docs and don't have any medical issues that would cause it. I had a nasty virus but I've been over it for awhile now. I'm going to chalk this one up to being possibly quake related.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   

I'm flabbergasted that you've felt anything up there as I have yet to feel a single bump! LOL This makes me want to ride the couch all day (I'm actually off work today!
) in anticipation of something bigger.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Like I said the vertigo was my only indication of anything. I didn't feel any shaking or anything like that. The only aftershocks I've noted in the regular way, meaning seeing stuff rattle on shelves and hearing and feeling rumbles was in the month after the big quake, and it was just a couple of times. That big quake did damage here in MD. I have minor damage I'm saving up to get repaired. My parents have an exterior door so badly misaligned they can't use it. That doesn't compare of course to what the poor folks near the epicenter are experiencing, but it goes to show it was not an insignificant event to homeowners like west coast quake veterans made it out to be.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by SheeplFlavoredAgain

For about a week now I have been feeling a deep hum coming from somewhere. I feel it sort of rattling my ., lol

If you read on vertigo here vertigo

As you can see in the link there are many causes of vertigo, most not good lol. i do not think this relates to earth quakes.how ever earth quakes can make people feel sick or dizzy. this would effect moving or running in a earth quake but does not consist of a humming.

i can not explain your feelings or humming but if its a form of vertigo then that's not a good thing he he

To the OP, i pray we don't get many quakes in these area's, last thing we all need is the New Madrid fault line picking up activity.

also been reports of Sulfur smell across the New Madrid fault line, think it said it was smelt in 9 different states. here is a link about the Sulfur smell Sulfur smell. trying to find the msnbc.com link about it. was a week or two ago.

If i find any other information, i will do my best to report it back. here is earthquake.usgs.gov... if anyone wants to keep a close eye on earth quake activity.

please do not get me wrong, i am not at all saying you dint get a feeling or hear a humming, i truly hope you 2 figure that out (^_^)

edit on 26-3-2012 by UnknownEntity4U because: Edited page to make more sense. changed amount quoted.

edit on 26-3-2012 by UnknownEntity4U because: Fixed links

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by UnknownEntity4U

Thank you for your reply. My info on the 3.1 came from the USGS. I keep my eye on their site as my mother lives at The Lake of The Ozarks & my father lives in NE OK - both areas affected by the New Madrid. I signed up for email notifications after we were rumbled while living on Oahu but have since changed my email server & never bothered to change it on the USGS site. I'm anticipating a larger quake in VA within the next week or so, not predicting just anticipating - shoot, I'm actually HOPING for it but should it come to pass praying that everyone's OK.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by UnknownEntity4U

lol, thanks. I read the link and don't have any other associated problems they listed except for mild tinnitus that hasn't changed in over twenty years. I go to the park with my daughter and can even do flips on the jungle gym and swing on the swings with her and ride the carousel and spin to my heart's content and not get nauseous or dizzy. In fact I did that on Friday and was none the worse for wear on Saturday! I did have a spate of health problems in my early thirties but those have all been corrected or went away on their own. The worst I deal with these days is eczema and acne and of course the stupid recurring colds everyone has been talking about on ATS. But I did get checked and have no ear infections. I've had an extensive MRI and a CT scan relating to my endocrine health issues from over a decade ago and still get monitored. All is well, it is a great thing to be able to say I'm in better shape and more active in my forties than I was in my 20's and 30's. The vertigo remains a mystery unless we can tie it in with quake detection.

I am currently taking an antihistamineive been on for over a week and that was mentioned in the link, but I couldn't quite make out if they said that helps or makes vertigo worse. At any rate I've had these vertigo instances before without being on hay fever meds so...I don't know. I am not currently having any allergy symptoms. You could be right, I could be sick. I always keep an open mind...and a good communication with my doctor!

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   

I hope your family remains safe. I've got a disabled cousin up in Wisconsin and all those smells of sulfur and rumblings in the midwest concern me. We have other family members scattered throughout the Midwest but my cousin is the one who would have a hard time mobilizing in an emergency situation.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Right on. well its good to know that your healthier now, i may wanna start becoming more healthy myself. we very may well be able to sense stuff. animals like cats and dogs usually detect an sense dangerous events a. of time.

i know personally what you mean in a sense. kinda like if you see a ghost or think somethings watching you. gives that feeling on your back and neck. lol not the same but a form of alertness or detection.sometimes when birds or other animals migrate could be a sigh of danger or change in weather etc.

sometimes i wake up at nite to a fearsome ringing in my ears/. sometimes seems paralyzing as if i cant do anything in till it stops. not sure if its a dream or what not. its hard to really describe. sometimes it hurts. sometimes i wake up and i can see/feel it coming, the ringing i mean
almost like if you go shooting with some buddy's and don't use ear protection, that kind of ringing, it also changes in strength. sometimes low then other times gets so bad i just wish it would stop. hmm wonder whats going on with me he he. hope its not a Health problem.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   

a 6.0m just hit near Mexico again!

earthquake.usgs.gov...

i think this summer is going to be a rocking and a rolling heheh

i live in VT so we don't get many quakes but i am always on the watch for something.

may prayers go out to all the people we lose to natures wrath

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   

I can only hope that Instead of using the already ongoing Quake watch threads people continue to makes NEW threads everytime a 3.0 happens in the U.S.

We all want to feel important and at the same time clutter the forums dont we?

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Your sister isn't terribly far from me, if a bigger shaker hits & there's a need we could combine resources for food & shelter.

Good to know. Thank you!

She has a good sized piece of property and I keep trying to tell her to use it to become more self sufficient. She intends on getting chickens soon, so that's a start.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertdagf

I think that every area that is getting quakes should have its own thread.
It's about time someone gave Virginia's quakes a thread of their own. We always see Yellowstone, Cascadia, California, New Madrid, and Mexico mentioned and watched diligently, but Virginia has been overlooked for too long.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join