It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australians: How do we feel about becoming the 51st state?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   
I'm an American and saddened to say that I do not know that much about world politics. I personally believe that the United States has more than enough territory as is now.

I love Australia; it's plants, animals and aboriginal peoples. Australia is unique in the world and should be it's own nation not having to bow down to any other nation.

Before I die I would love to be able to visit 2 places, Scotland where my ancestors are from and Australia.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by mikelkhall

the states the latest member of the commonwealth? never happen, oh wait! lol

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by petrus4

You're deluded by tags. If I am a white surpremicist why would I prefer to move to asia .
What special propaganda names shall we use for you .
Only a fool uses tags

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by petrus4

This is nothing more than a thought experiment. There's no reason for anyone to get upset about it or take it seriously. The people of a place have to petition to become a state, first of all. A good example is Puerto Rico, which has been a US territory since 1898, ceded by Spain to the US after the Spanish American War. Since 1951 it has been a "Commonwealth." Statehood has been proposed many times for Puerto Rico and each time, the US has said that the decision remains with the residents whether it wants to remain as it is, become completely independent, or become a state. No one has forced them to either path. There are some residents who very much want statehood and some who very much want independence.

Just on that basis alone, without bringing up issues of history and geography, Australia will not become, nor want to become a state. The only reason to bring the issue up is to enflame nationalistic rhetoric, which is unnecessary.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join